The Hunters Orange Epidemic

Shrek

WKR
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings for thinking it is too much to ask for people to abide by the law. Hunters already get a bad wrap from outsiders, so when someone isnt abiding by by set regulations it makes us all look bad. Therefore, as a hunter, it affects us all.
You didn’t hurt my feelings. You’re not a bit sorry. Your virtue signaling is nauseating.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
So why add that qualifier of "as an outfitter or guide" language? Why would it not just say "anyone accompanying the hunter"? I think that it is pretty clear in defining an outfitter/guide and hunter relationship because it is clarifying that to be under the provisions of other state laws, which I am guessing define a commercial entity and relationship.
Straight from the International Hunter Education Association:

Montana
All big game hunters and those accompanying them must wear at least 400 square inches of Hunter Orange above the waist. A hat or cap alone is not sufficient. (Exception: bow hunters during special archery season.)

Ratbeetle

WKR

Montana
All big game hunters and those accompanying them must wear at least 400 square inches of Hunter Orange above the waist. A hat or cap alone is not sufficient. (Exception: bow hunters during special archery season.)

You realize that entity doesn't make the regs right. The Montana FWP specifically says "accompanying a hunter as an outfitter or guide".

You're awful worried about what other people do.

Montana

How do you expect this thread to help cure the epidemic?

sndmn11

"DADDY"

Montana

Is the statute you quoted the law or the IHEA? My point is, you quoted a statute and claimed a violation, but your description didn't fit a violation of the statute.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I were an archery hunter hunting during a season that also coincided with a rifle season, I would definitely wear orange for my own safety.

And that is and should be your choice. As long as they don't mandate it, I'm OK with that. I can "choose" to wear it if I want to.......just as everyone else should be able to do. There are plenty of recreationalists out during archery season as well, sometimes more than bowhunters. So if this was really about "keeping people safe" they would mandate EVERYONE to wear it during the hunting seasons.

sasquatch

WKR
I really dont care. People should be able to make their own decisions on their personal safety.

THIS!!!!! It’s my life so it should be my choice. What is the deal with people wanting/needing the government momma to tell them what to do?!!

Besides most accidental shooting happen way late at night from people trying to moonlight hunt, when the orange don’t really stand out anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
I've sat in bars after a day of hunting and laiten to stupid people from Chitown saying I had 2 sound shots today... YOU take it from there.. Doesn't matter if you were wearing orange or not and it's another reason people paint COW on their cattle.

sndmn11

"DADDY"
I've sat in bars after a day of hunting and laiten to stupid people from Chitown saying I had 2 sound shots today... YOU take it from there.. Doesn't matter if you were wearing orange or not and it's another reason people paint COW on their cattle.

I'd buy that story. That is how the young man from Colorado's western slope was killed a few years ago.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
And that is and should be your choice. As long as they don't mandate it, I'm OK with that. I can "choose" to wear it if I want to.......just as everyone else should be able to do. There are plenty of recreationalists out during archery season as well, sometimes more than bowhunters. So if this was really about "keeping people safe" they would mandate EVERYONE to wear it during the hunting seasons.
I would rather "recreationalists" and other hunters see my orange and stay the frak away I'm busy!!!

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
No. You're reading it wrong. Call a warden. It's pretty easy. I can accompany a hunter in MT without wearing orange as long as I'm not hunting, or acting as an outfitter or guide. A quick call to a warden can clear it up for you.

Jim
This is correct if your not hunting and/or not a guide or outfitter you are NOT required to be wearing orange. These regulations only pretain to licensed hunters, guides and outfitters. However it doesn't make sense not to, if anything at least your buddy can see you easily. Might as well both be wearing it.

Mosby

WKR
I wear orange hunting on public land because the rules require it and the avg. American reads at a 6th grade level. What other people do is their business. I see guys all the time not wearing orange or not meeting the minimum requirements. Their choice.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I had three yahoos shoot at a pronghorn that was about 800ish yards directly across a draw from me...while I was in orange...and sitting in a freaking truck on the edge of a dirt road.

They still shot right at me... ain't nobody got time to know your target and what's beyond. I could've had horns and strobes blasting and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

I was watching this doe through the binos and saw the hunters approach and then watched as one raised her rifle right at me. About time I'm thinking surely she isn't going to take a sh...crack, boom!

I personally feel safer when I can hide from the idiotic masses.

JohnnyB

WKR
Glad to read this thread and find out that Montana values this citation at $10-$20. That is cheaper than my vest. I do try to follow the laws but here in California a vest is not required so I don't wear one. When in commie states like Montana, I obey. You all should move to a free state...

First time CA hunter gets to dis Montana!

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
It has never bothered me to wear orange. I can’t remember ever getting done hunting, and thinking it was a disadvantage myself. Never seen anyone else in orange that made me feel like it gave me some advantage I wouldn’t have had if the didn’t have it on other than easier to help know where others are. Personally see more pros than cons for orange myself.

Elk97

WKR
I'm a strong advocate of personal choice and personal responsibility, but I'm also pretty big on self preservation. I wear orange during rifle season, and so does everyone I hunt with. I also wear my seat belt and have life preservers on the boat. Personal choice.
The only reason I give a darn if someone else isn't wearing orange is the legal aspect (yeah, I hate to have to even think about it, but that's reality). I don't want to have to spend years and a ton of money defending myself if I accidentally shoot some yahoo wearing a white suit in the snow that was behind the bull I was shooting at (like the guy I saw a couple of weeks ago in MT while elk hunting). Even though you'd think it was a slam dunk, the guy wasn't wearing orange like the law requires, you still could and probably would be sued by his family. There have been a couple of times when I spotted an orange dot in the distance and made a mental note to not shoot in that direction.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to read this thread and find out that Montana values this citation at $10-$20. That is cheaper than my vest. I do try to follow the laws but here in California a vest is not required so I don't wear one. When in commie states like Montana, I obey. You all should move to a free state...

First time CA hunter gets to dis Montana!

That’s good to hear you don’t have those types of restrictions in Cali so you don’t have to bother with coming to Montana

Jethro

WKR
PA did away with some of our orange requirements this season for archery and turkey. I wear a hat lots of times that it’s not required. Certainly would never hunt our rifle season without it. Anybody accompanying a hunter in PA is subject to the same orange requirements as the hunter. Personally I have no problems with the regs