The greatest cheap gun you've ever owned?

manitou1

WKR
Sears Model 300 Ted Williams full choke 12ga.

It's fun to bird hunt in S. Texas with buddies in their fancy safari gear and $3000+ over/under shotguns and outshoot them with an old Sears shotty.
I had one of those as a youngster. Didn't Mossberg make those?
I killed a lot if small game and ducks/geese with it.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Mine would be a Whippet 410ga single shoot I bought for $19.99. Whippet only existed from 1936-1940. I have shot many grouse it.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2823.jpeg
    IMG_2823.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Browning A-Bolt II in .308. Black plastic stock and blue.
I was without a deer rifle years ago and called a buddy that owned a pawn Shop. He brought this rifle to me that afternoon. One of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. I sold it a few years later and was sick after I did. I ended up buying it back. I have many deer rifles now but none any more accurate. It’s a keeper now.

bpitcher

FNG
Marlin 925 and a Marlin 336 (late 70's production).

Didn't pay much for either and they spent years riding around in the back of my truck. Probably some of the last guns I'd ever sell.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
NEF Handi Rifle in .444 marlin, single shot. It's a cheap $200 rifle for our straight walled season. It's a hammer to 250 yards. It's short with a heavy barrel and a great thicket or food plot gun. I can't tell you the number of deer I have shot with it. I'm not worried about mud, scratches or anything.

Old 96 Swedish Mauser my Dad bought 40 to 50 years ago. Bent the bolt shortened and reckoned barrel and put in a cheap Ram Line synthetic. Drilled a hole in side of that piece of Tupperware and pressure injected acra glass after daming
Up hollow areas. You can see every proof mark in the bedding. That old cheap gun has been one he'll of a deer gun and just accurate.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Old 96 Swedish Mauser my Dad bought 40 to 50 years ago. Bent the bolt shortened and reckoned barrel and put in a cheap Ram Line synthetic. Drilled a hole in side of that piece of Tupperware and pressure injected acra glass after daming
Up hollow areas. You can see every proof mark in the bedding. That old cheap gun has been one he'll of a deer gun and just accurate.
I’m assuming it’s a 6.5 Swede. Sounds pretty sweet.

wyosam

WKR
My model 94 30-30. My dad bought it used in the mid 50’s. Serial puts manufacturer around 1948. Guessing 45-50 bucks? That thing has put a lot of meat on the table. Last was a cow elk 6 or 7 years ago. Try to kill something with it every decade or so. It’s never killed a moose, maybe that should be next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
Savage model 6, Stevens 87a, etc. Just plain fun to shoot and accurate despite a mediocre (at best) trigger. I've got the Savage, Stevens and the Western Field version. Only non-Winchester long guns I've got more than one of.

Boy, this is a tough one. So many great responses thus far.

Mine would have to be a Blaser R8 I scored for $2K. Then again, that's not a cheap rifle, so I'll start over.

How about a garage sale Remington 788 in .22-250 for $100 two years ago? That was a heckuva buy. Never even got the chance to shoot it, as a friend demanded I sell it to him for $400.

By far the cheapest and workhorse reliable is the venerable Remington 870 12 ga.. Have killed a bunch of deer, turkeys, coyotes, and small game over the years. In my younger days that's all I could afford but man those were fun times with no cares in the world and my trusty 870 by my side.

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
Maverick 88. Shot so many birds and other animals with it. 189.99 and two boxes of shells. I was shooting doves 10 minutes after buying.

Thousands of rounds of game load and probably a few thousand waterfowl loads.

She still works but has issues cycling more shells than not. Need to test their lifetime warranty. If I can get it working again, I don’t think I would go back to shooting my Nova.
My Dad gave me a Maverick 88 for my 14th birthday. Loved the gun. Shot the piss out of it. That was 33 years ago, still shoot it, though my son shoots it more than me now.