The great sock debate 2024

dtrkyman

WKR
I have narrow skinny feet, darn tough are like putting on a condom, they get crazy tight after a wash, pretty over rated socks in my opinion.

I used to love smartwool but the newer ones I have had do not last.

I have some wrightsock running socks that I like, I may try their hiking socks, they are double layered and comfy.

Beendare

WKR

Far better than any of those options
Who knew a guy could buy a limited edition pair of socks for $99

Do you wear these Bison fiber socks? Are they as good as claimed?

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Who knew a guy could buy a limited edition pair of socks for $99

Do you wear these Bison fiber socks? Are they as good as claimed?
Every penny. Youd laugh how cheap darn tough seem when you compare them side by side

Injinji liner socks plus whatever weight makes sense according to the boot and season, but usually Kirkland 4/$20 trail socks. Never any hot spots unless your boots are too small or wildly oversized. And way less need for “designer” $30-$40+ socks

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Darn Tough is about 3 miles from my house so I may be biased but the light and an occasional mid weight hikers are my go to for hiking/hunting. Over the calf heavy weight for late season with Pac boots.

gostovp

WKR
I hate Darn tough for an outdoor sock worn for an extended amounts of time. For a daily wear they are fine. However for extended wear they get clammy and the cushion flattens out.
I find Farm to feet are somewhat better especially the non segmented versions.
I started wearing and different brands of Alpaca socks, so far the the first three I used couldn’t see much difference than merino wool blends. Paca, warrior alpaca, something or other…. I ended up buying two pares of Hollow brand alpaca socks.
These are hands down the best socks I have worn. I have about 30 days on them running hounds this winter and the are fantastic. Warm but not clammy, hold their shape, decent cushion… and flat out comfortable all day long .
Which Hollow socks did you get ? The Crew or the Boot? I want the weight of the crew but in the height of the boot and it doesn’t look like they have that

I have a variety. I like the First Lite compression socks and check out FITS. They are US made and I actually prefer them over Darn Tough

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
Darn tough for me, I have the T4021 (midweight, boot height) that I wear daily for work, around town, hunting ( day trips and the extra pair while out in the sticks), fishing, ECT... I wear the same pair for a week and wash on the weekend. just to test the longevity of them. And they've held up so far after 4 months of doing that. Take them off when I get home, lay them over my boots and they're dry when I wake up in the morning to put them on for the day.

The over calf heavyweight is my primary sock during the september-may time frame for a hunting/fishing sock. The over the calf works really well with baffins, rubbers and waders. After 5 weeks of wear ( spread out over 3 months) they finally got washed. There wasn't any stink or signs of wear.. just my experiences

Jimbee

WKR
I hate Darn tough for an outdoor sock worn for an extended amounts of time. For a daily wear they are fine. However for extended wear they get clammy and the cushion flattens out.
I find Farm to feet are somewhat better especially the non segmented versions.
I started wearing and different brands of Alpaca socks, so far the the first three I used couldn’t see much difference than merino wool blends. Paca, warrior alpaca, something or other…. I ended up buying two pares of Hollow brand alpaca socks.
These are hands down the best socks I have worn. I have about 30 days on them running hounds this winter and the are fantastic. Warm but not clammy, hold their shape, decent cushion… and flat out comfortable all day long .
Do you know which particular style Hollow socks that you bought? TIA

Agross

WKR
Damnit! The last thing I need is more socks. But I’m always trying new ones. Just ordered the crew and the boot hollows. With the sale they are running, I had to try em. 33% off and buy 3 get one free With free shipping.

Specialk

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found darn tough socks to get kinda hard and crunchy if you wear them for a few days in a row in hot weather. I’ve had really good luck with the Crispi socks, they stay soft and comfortable for extended periods

gostovp

WKR
Here’s one that I like for a lightweight sock.
Over 70% merino and extended crew length.
Farm to Feet Coronado

I was always on a budget and bought Walmart "warm boot sock" specials that wore out quickly. Two years ago I put a pair of the Darn Tough OTC heavyweights on my Christmas list for my wife and man...what an upgrade they were. Now reading everyone's posts about even BETTER socks? Not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on some $45/pair socks as the DT's are still holding strong 2 years in. Maybe if they start to fail...

Wellsdw

WKR
Farm to feet has been my go to socks anymore. I have many pairs of merino socks from the others listed here. And find FTF to be the most comfortable, and like darn tough they also have a great warranty.
Farm to feet brought a truck bed full of new hiking socks to a wildfire I was on as a donation to us. Been a customer ever since

Grundy53

WKR
Point6. Founded by people that came from SmartWool. Better than SmartWool IMO. Sign up and watch for sales. Big discounts if you wait. I have some Darn Tough and SmartWool but I’m liking the Point6 better. For hunting socks with boots my favorites have been the Kuiu mid weight.
They are having a sale on essential crew style 50% off.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I think it’s site wide till Tuesday
Edited. If you google Point 6 socks and take the link directly to a specific category of gear, you may miss the front page banner that provides the checkout code to save 50% (like I did).

Last edited: