The Gohunt Effect

S.Clancy

WKR
Just like the dude crying in the NM thread about people posting hunt codes they did or didnt draw. There are no surprise units any where and there hasn't been for decades.
That's not true. There are still gems out there whether people believe it or not

Just an example of how he wont post his favorite unit to hunt, yet thinks its ok if everyone else does.
lol I killed elk and deer in 83 and 851

Hunting 851 again most likely this year and probably 78 cluster also.

Also hunting in NM this year in 17,13, 37.

thats just 2/4 states I have tags in, the other two states i have OTC tags for elk, deer, and pronghorn but thats my own or friends ranches so not relevant.

Again no secret units. highest sought units are pretty well known for years.

Last edited:

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Please demonstrate how you untangle GoHunt from ME, Newberg, the Gritty Bowmen and other topic relevant podcasts, Born and Raised and others putting their hunts on YouTube, etc etc. It all got going at about the same time. Since it's so simple and obvious, I predict your retort will be clear and complete and supported with data.

I dont untangle them, they are all the same. I will post up some data/graphs when I get a chance.

I dont untangle them, they are all the same. I will post up some data/graphs when I get a chance.

Ah, we are speaking past each other it appears.

If you are saying they're all mixed together then I agree, no need to pull data.

I'll admit I started big game hunting around that time. I had been west plenty of times before that to fish and bird hunt. I was one of the early adopters of OnX, back when it was called HuntingGPSmaps or something like that. I'll personally blame Dan Pickar of Eastman's for getting me into the big game tho. When I saw him (on cable TV) kill an elk with a bow without ever calling to it I thought "hell I can do that." And here I am. Apologies.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Here you go Dos. While gohunt isn’t specially in this data set, its a moot point. If you don’t think they are apart of diminishing opportunity then we can just agree to disagree I guess.

1714062543621.jpeg

Edit: good points above. Magazines and Eastmans certainly had their place in this. But today the reach in SM marketing is of epic proportions.

That's not true. There are still gems out there whether people believe it or not
the gems arent because of the area, the gems are because you put in the work to unlock the potential of that area. Most units are managed for either opportunity or potential, first and for most the terrain usually dictates which one, doesnt mean they dont have high end potential, Easier terrain usually means they are managing for trophy

Is there a bad mule deer unit in CO? No very unit has a 200” potential, if you play golf its an easy observation

Pretty much that way across the west.

fatlander

WKR
I really like what GOHUNT did with the CRWM recently. For those that don’t know, they’d match your subscription amount in a donation to CRWM IF you used the code associated with that promotion.

Good on them for taking that initiative, BUT why is it a promo? Why not just make it standard practice? If conservation of the resource and preservation of the sport is the main goal, why does it have to be a promotion?

The answer is that hunting has become big business, which directly contradicts the North American model for wildlife conservation. The state’s all turn a blind eye to it because they’re all cashing in and laughing all the way to the bank.

The entanglement of the hunting industry, non profits, and state game agencies is no different than the entanglement of pharmaceutical giants, the national institute of health, and the food and drug administration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
the gems arent because of the area, the gems are because you put in the work to unlock the potential of that area. Most units are managed for either opportunity or potential, first and for most the terrain usually dictates which one, doesnt mean they dont have high end potential, Easier terrain usually means they are managing for trophy

Is there a bad mule deer unit in CO? No very unit has a 200” potential, if you play golf its an easy observation

I hunt OTC areas that are way better than draws, so it absolutely has to do with the area. Work is a given, some areas just happen to be worth the work, and some of them can be had for very little points or OTC.

***Caveat, I am talking all public land hunting. I think almost any area can produce with enough access to private***

Hnthrdr

WKR
I don't know how one could isolate "the GoHunt effect" from anything else. Generally speaking, more people are applying for less tags, and that will induce point creep. One could blame Mark Zuckerberg (or Al Gore even!) as much as GoHunt and their peers.
I blame Man-bear-pig… Al gore is just trying to save us from him

Hnthrdr

WKR

Meh it’s not the 90’s Co is not the every unit could throw a 200” anymore, thank the last 5 year season structure for that. We are morphing into MT with our muleys

I hunt OTC areas that are way better than draws, so it absolutely has to do with the area. Work is a given, some areas just happen to be worth the work, and some of them can be had for very little points or OTC.

***Caveat, I am talking all public land hunting. I think almost any area can produce with enough access to private***

I dont disagree with what you saying just stating that you found the way to unlock potential thus why you keep going back.

Meh it’s not the 90’s Co is not the every unit could throw a 200” anymore, thank the last 5 year season structure for that. We are morphing into MT with our muleys
thats fair, last 5 season structure been stupid but genetic potential is still there, age class just might not be though

S.Clancy

WKR
thats fair, last 5 season structure been stupid but genetic potential is still there, age class just might not be though

If we can find age 4+ mulies in MT you have to be able to in CO.

svivian

WKR
I am just glad that the units I like to hunt down show up in their hit list of units. YouTube videos do more damage than anything in my opinion.

I can't wait to see what damage the video of that Colorado second season mule deer hunt did. The guy might have just as well told everyone what unit he was hunting....
I dont think youll have to worry about a unit that you picked up on leftovers that takes 19 years for a non res to draw....

I dont think youll have to worry about a unit that you picked up on leftovers that takes 19 years for a non res to draw....

See how easily manipulated people are?

I suckered you right in with 1 picture of an elk. Nice attempt at being an a$$hole by posting a link from another site though. LMFAO.

FYI - I didn't have a 76-archery tag. lol

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
There’s a simple solution to the YouTube and instagram influencer problem. Stop watching.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
There’s a simple solution to the YouTube and instagram influencer problem. Stop watching.

This. I truly think it’s already come to and will just get worse, hunters must decide if they enjoy watching hunting media over actual hunting itself. I hope I’m wrong though and opportunity will get better regardless of the industry behind influencers but I don’t see how it’s possible. Theres a huge bottle neck effect right now and no winter range is expanding for deer and elk, only disappearing.