The Gear List Thread

wildcat33

WKR
here's my Bob Marshall Open list- I nixed a few things like snowshoes/microspikes and a few clothing items (mid-layers/neoprene socks, etc), which should make it pretty suitable for most any "summer" situation

That TarpTent looks pretty awesome. Improving my shelter is where I stand to loose the most weight. Im old school and still run a freestanding MSR.

I thought it might be interesting to have a thread for us Lightweight-Minded hunters to share our gear lists (lighterpacks, whatever), I have enjoyed searching back through some older threads for ideas, but it would great to have one thread where they were all compiled. If anyone is interested, post you quarry/hunt, location, and time of year. I'm still tweaking mine, but wanted to see some other lists as well.

Scouting/Hog Hunting/Turkey Hunting base gear

Spring/fall

Southeast

Notes: Cooking will just be rehydrating.

This is for a fair weather trip (IE little to no rain in the forecast)

I need to upgrade my tarp to something a bit bigger/lighter, that should save me 6+ ounces. I also need to decide on my bug strategy as far as a bivy/net/inner tent.

Still working my worn insulation- need to add a baselayer bottom, as well as an insulated pant and a fleece layer if It's cold or I take this list out west.
Love this OP - Do you follow Andrew Skurka at all? He's got some good gear suggestions but for backpacking. May need minor adjustments for hunting specifically.

Pretty dialed in there I'd say. Seek Outside, Tarptent, and MLD would be good places to look for a shelter and some can be had with/without inner net depending on needs for bug pressure.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a few different tarp/bivy combos to save weight over a “tent”, the Aeon ha pretty much made the tarp/bivy combo obsolete at 18 oz all in :)

OP
Ferrulewax
Love this OP - Do you follow Andrew Skurka at all? He's got some good gear suggestions but for backpacking. May need minor adjustments for hunting specifically.

Pretty dialed in there I'd say. Seek Outside, Tarptent, and MLD would be good places to look for a shelter and some can be had with/without inner net depending on needs for bug pressure.
Yeah, I've followed most of the UL guys since before UL became "cool", though I've always existed on the cheaper side of UL. One of these days I'll upgrade my shelter as well as get some lighter weight cold weather gear but it just doesn't get terribly cold here.

Rainman89

FNG
5 day deer hunt, elk would be basically the same

couple of notes- my sleep system includes a FF Flicker 30 degree bag combined with the 50 degree Apex quilt which rates to roughly 10 degrees, the Apex quilt is worn quite often when glassing in cold- double duty

in Montana my rain gear often gets left behind and substituted for a Sitka Flash saving roughly a pound

list is all in, including weight of rifle and optics

v4AKZhk.png

httqAhg.png

Ne8XZCP.png

NhQnnKA.png
Thank you for posting this! Nerding out on these spreadsheets. Also good to see specifics on the clothing you experienced guys have used through the years.

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Well here it is. My first attempt(with some slight adjusting). Maybe it’ll help someone, or maybe someone will help me. Or even better, BOTH!!

(If you notice, my tent is custom. I’ll do a post about it once I have it 100%. Sealing the seams tonight and then it’s ready to rock! Currently setup in my living room and the wife isn’t pleased lol)

Attachments

• 2804C4A7-6C0A-4715-B2DF-DDCC205C1547.jpeg
    2804C4A7-6C0A-4715-B2DF-DDCC205C1547.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 115
  • DEF31CE6-580D-45AD-B2EC-FEE16C7188F7.jpeg
    DEF31CE6-580D-45AD-B2EC-FEE16C7188F7.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 0A3F882A-806C-47CB-BF60-15BB7D2327DB.jpeg
    0A3F882A-806C-47CB-BF60-15BB7D2327DB.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 97
  • D1DD954F-C870-4FF2-A232-2A8BE1C0869B.jpeg
    D1DD954F-C870-4FF2-A232-2A8BE1C0869B.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 83
  • F3F26A21-3872-4226-B742-CB19D0D5442F.jpeg
    F3F26A21-3872-4226-B742-CB19D0D5442F.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 91398A1A-90ED-47CC-9058-E8C36D988FF1.jpeg
    91398A1A-90ED-47CC-9058-E8C36D988FF1.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 105

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I'd really appreciate some people to share their "shit condition" gear lists. Seeing these ultra-light "summer" kits makes me feel like I'm doing it wrong. Am I?

I can't imagine not packing full puffy gear, top and bottom heavy weight thermal midlayers, and full GTX ain gear (including waterproof hat, gaiters, and mittens). Also don't think I could handle a floorless/screenless tent (last year I was tent bound for a whole day on Kodiak, I had snow building up on my roof while mosquitos plastered my bug screen and every inch of ground was so wet it water would flow over the top of my boots with every step).

It's possible I'm just soft, and it's doable though.

Do any of you carry cordage for hanging meat above bear height? I packed 550 cord for a moose hunt, and the stuff just shredded and broke while pulling the quarters up into a tree. So, now I have more durable 6mm climbing cord.
How do you keep your meat dry in the rain? On Adak I packed a tarp big enough to burrito my game bags next to my tent, and extra cordage and stakes to keep that tarp in place. Heavy thing, and I'm not sure how I'd make it work if I also had to keep the meat up high away from bears. On Kodiak we stashed meat under 4ft of rocks in a scree field, wrapped in the 10x10ft tarp. We know bears checked it out from the prints in the mud.
Is there a more streamlined, lighter, way to get this done?

Thanks

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I'd really appreciate some people to share their "shit condition" gear lists. Seeing these ultra-light "summer" kits makes me feel like I'm doing it wrong. Am I?

I can't imagine not packing full puffy gear, top and bottom heavy weight thermal midlayers, and full GTX ain gear (including waterproof hat, gaiters, and mittens). Also don't think I could handle a floorless/screenless tent (last year I was tent bound for a whole day on Kodiak, I had snow building up on my roof while mosquitos plastered my bug screen and every inch of ground was so wet it water would flow over the top of my boots with every step).

It's possible I'm just soft, and it's doable though.

Do any of you carry cordage for hanging meat above bear height? I packed 550 cord for a moose hunt, and the stuff just shredded and broke while pulling the quarters up into a tree. So, now I have more durable 6mm climbing cord.
How do you keep your meat dry in the rain? On Adak I packed a tarp big enough to burrito my game bags next to my tent, and extra cordage and stakes to keep that tarp in place. Heavy thing, and I'm not sure how I'd make it work if I also had to keep the meat up high away from bears. On Kodiak we stashed meat under 4ft of rocks in a scree field, wrapped in the 10x10ft tarp. We know bears checked it out from the prints in the mud.
Is there a more streamlined, lighter, way to get this done?

Thanks

So I’m pretty new to this buy I’ll take a stab at it. I think you’re 100% right. Mine is for sure an early season kit. I’ll be hunting high alpine first week of September. It might snow, it’ll probably rain, but most likely weather will be pleasant. If it gets real cold one day I can use my bag for extra warmth. Since posting this I actually upgraded my rain gear from frog toggs to Cabelas Space Rain which some guys on here hate, but several of my friends considered it some of the best gear they’ve ever invested in for the passing storm. Due to the weather in the west lately, I will also have the rain pants in my pack, not just a jacket.

Not sure about your 550 cord. I’ve always been blown away by its toughness, maybe you had a cheaper version? Who knows.

I can’t really speak to keeping meat dry. Not a huge issue for our situation (hopefully)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ferrulewax
I’ve started using zing it or another dyneema cord for misc use and bear bag line. It’s slicker than parachute cord so it slides better on trees for bear line. It’s also significantly stronger and lighter

OP
Ferrulewax
@Ferrulewax can you explain what you modified on the OE razor knife?
ll post up a picture, but I just dremeled off some extra plastic, and drilled holes in it. It was the smallest model with the pocket clip- so I got rid of the clip and ground off that area. It’s not pretty, and could have slightly effected strength if you really torqued it but I use it in conjunction with a fixed blade. Seems to do the trick.

S.Clancy

WKR
1674573187957.png
For my buddies sheep hunt last year. I had 2 game bags also that I just leave in the pack, can't remember if I weighed the pack with them in or not.....My food list included 2 lbs of cheese, 2 logs of summer sausage, tortillas, like 35 snickers, etc. I like food in the woods. My base weight is pretty similar for everything until late season when I use the shelter with stove, insulated pad (add 8oz) and a third puffy and puffy pants.