The G.O.A.T of upland

Ptarmigan in the lower 48 are the GOAT of upland for two reasons, they’re gorgeous, cooperative and only found in pristine habitat, plus you hunt them in goat country and they may the least hunted of our upland species(that you hunt with a dog for you guys that say snowcock)!

With my first child due in just over a week, my wife—being the amazing woman she is—let me slip away for a quick two-day hunt. This is my third year chasing white-tailed ptarmigan, and after last year’s success, I wanted to get back out there, and chase those high alpine birds.

Day one started early. Left the house at 4 a.m., made the long drive, and got to the mountain at about 10 a.m. I knew this would be tough, most of the hiking would be between 10,000 and 12,000 feet. Thirteen miles later, exhausted and without a single bird sighting, we headed back to camp and crashed hard.

Day two, we were back at it around 8:30 or 9:00 a.m., hoping for better luck. We were back into the wilderness about 8 or so miles, and still striking out other than a feather and some droppings. Then,l the weather started to turn, thunder, snow we were again packing it in.

That’s when we stumbled on a covey of ptarmigan , and just like that, the hard miles melted away. A few shots later, Nellie and I had our two bird limit. It was an incredible feeling—especially after 28 miles of hiking for me, and about 45 miles for Nellie.

This upland hunt isn’t for everyone, but for me, the white-tailed ptarmigan represents the GOAT of upland species. The challenge, the terrain, the miles—it all makes the reward that much better. Stoked to have gotten it done two years in a row. We’re smoked and an our way home to wait for the biggest challenge ever, being a father!

Attachments

• IMG_5289.jpeg
    IMG_5289.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5294.jpeg
    IMG_5294.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5301.jpeg
    IMG_5301.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5290.jpeg
    IMG_5290.jpeg
    816.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

The Guide

WKR
What state are you hunting them? I know there are some small populations in the lower 48. We are not allowed to hunt them in Montana.

Jay

Loper

WKR
Congrats on both ventures, fatherhood and bagging a few ptarmigan. I’ve never hunted them or even seen on. Hell I didn’t even know they lived in the lower 48. Sounds like a fun challenge.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have never hunted them, but it sounds like a challenge. I have done my share of chasing chukar and that normally is a ton of walking ups and down hills with limited success, but when you finally get into them it it is worth the miles traveled. I love your choice of hunting partner.