The future of NR hunting in Wyoming

I think I got 4 points for Wyoming now. Probably just forget about them and move on. It isn’t worth it to me any more I can go hunt birds and play more dog games for the cost of one week of elk hunting.
Spend as much time afield with your dog as you can while he/she is still young. Good looking Lab! Play the retriever games and enjoy every retrieve, the passes, and the didn’t pass ones too. I’m looking at my 14 y/o yellow Lab asleep on her bed now. The hunting trips and the UKC & AKC accomplishments were great, but mean much less now. The time we’ve spent together is priceless. It’s been quite a journey.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
You can also thank the guys looking for an ego boost that post: Had a great trip to WY. Four of us tagged out in three days. Then posting pics of all their 1.5-2.5 year old bucks they slaughtered.
All-

Directly calling out another member will not be tolerated. A legal kill is a legal kill, and each person decides what they pull the trigger on.
You seem to infer that you "slaughter" older trophies. Who's looking for the ego boost?

Trr15

WKR
I think I know how it turns out... not great for everyone as a whole...

As a side note, I'm sitting in Sublette County, WY right now in a house we bought this fall and plan to move to full time in a couple years. Moving to Wyoming mainly due to tag availability.
I just moved back to Wy (Natrona County) after being gone for 5 years for the same reason.

Nah, its the fault of narcissistic people posting their grip n grins on Instagram and Facebook trying to show everyone how alpha they are. Also Joe Rogan, Cam Haines, etc....and all their flatbill, IPA drinking, "not looking for your honeyhole" followers who want to do something manly for once in their life and present themselves as "great white hunters"/Bwanas.

And, those guys are affiliated with those hunting websites...

OP
Hunt the Top

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider

Mojave

WKR
Here is my take, not going to bitch about how the state manages wildlife for a state I don't reside in. Kind of like negotiating with ex-wives or sharks. No point to it.

1. Wyoming has to do something about point creep. Having a $2000 fee for an elk tag will help with point creep on the Special. Not a lot of dudes are going to bite that. Working poors like me can still fund a $800-1200 tag and cry about it. The Special will be for once special. I'll dip my toes into the special group when I am out of my secret stash of point programs in Arizona and Wyoming for deer.

2. Wyoming owes none of us anything, we don't live there. We are not the residents the wildlife is held in trust for. Saying that you can either think of it as a slap in the face (until you grow up and realize they don't care about you) or you can look at it as a way to recover the financial degredation of approx 100 per $3000 isn non resident moose, goat, bison and sheep tags by the state thanks to the wildlife commission.

3. I will continue to apply for non-points elk, deer and antelope tags once I finally kill off my remaining deer tag points pool this year, and a cow tag in a full price unit. I am probably done playing the points program.

4. Everyone bitches about point creep, in my mind even if I don't like the outcome. I can eat $1300 or $1400 for an antelope or deer and an occasional $2000 for the special elk to get into the higher draw odds.

5. Most of the specials I was applying for in the non-point pool units were 3-6%, I think these price increases will drop some demand in 2025 or 2026.

6. The general draw has become a joke unless you have max points. This is the place the point creep will get out of hand. GoHunt is claiming a 2-3 point increase in creep in a lot of units I like. I personally beleive this is complete BS. These units for 2023 will be 4-7 point increases.

I have 8 points left for deer and 2 for elk. Probably burn them on a mid-range region deer tag and a cow tag in an area I like. My next Wyoming applications will be without points programs to worry about. Not really any reason to.

That's odd. I had to search for it to find it. I think I searched Wyoming task force antelope tag increase
Link worked when I clicked from my phone. I trimmed the extra fluff off of the link below, might work better.

Fordguy

WKR
Anyway- after the increases are put in place I expect that I (like many others) will be done with Wyoming hunting and fishing as soon as I use my accumulated points.

I've enjoyed Wyoming, the scenery is beautiful, and for the most part the people have been friendly and welcoming. I've been happy to spend money there as often as we get to hunt there,- however, I can fill my freezer with a variety of local game and spend all season doing it for a lot less than what they are proposing for the increased tag costs. Total, I'll save as much as 5k a year not hunting Wyoming (after the tag increases). 5k buys a heck of a charter fishing trip/vacation.

Overdrive

WKR
It’s not about being worked up. It will affect the “regular” draw by intensifying the point creep tremendously. A good majority will move over to the regular draw, thus making all tags requiring more points to draw possibly most requiring double digit points. After ‘24, the special tags may stabilize at a reasonable level as far as PP opportunity. It will be a more significant pay to play scenario, even more so than it is now.
I honestly don't think it will be as bad as your thinking, a lot of nonresidents will still put in the special thinking they have better odds. But I hope people keep bailing out on their points makes it better for people willing stick it out for a quality hunt (most won't if they're smart).

I hunt Wyoming and Colorado every year, and still build points in both states 23pp Elk Colorado and 11pp Elk and 11pp Antelope in Wyoming.

Rich M

WKR
Im getting out in 2023. The WY R told NR to suck it up and then are now our buddies. No more 90/10 cause the otfitters were trying to screw the R hunters. But theyda done (R) it if they were gonna make out. But they like the $ increase. Amazing how this stuff unfolds. Treat everyone civil but remember that they wanted to do 90/10 til the outfitters revealed their hands.

But if you’ve got 10 years into points, might be worth waiting a couple years, sucking up the $ increase and maybe getting a great tag as folks bail on a rumor. You still risk the wishy washies changing stuff on you to feel good about themselves.

This all hits as im at an age where i got vaca time, money, and wife dont care. Here i am getting ready to stop hunting in mid 50’s csuse of a bunch of jackwagons keep changing NR stuff back and forth to make stuff feel better. WY CO MT ID all got the complainers and whiners and stuff changing. It isnt gonna end, they just keep trying til change stuff til they can.

Other states, including my own have preference points cause there isnt enough supply to satisfy demand.

As for the you tube heros, it isnt their fault. Its the mindless followers. Lemmings following along. Then they divide and each one brings 2-3-4 guys with em the next year cause they cant go with the guys drom last year, or alone. Yeah, keep introducing new folks into western hunting. That benefits everyone.

Btw, if you ever want a caribou, get it planned now. The herds are decreasing and once they close, that’ll be it. Too pricey for me but would be an awesome trip.

Last edited: