The Experience Project Podcast: Thrive On Difficult Hunts

IDVortex

WKR
Just realized I haven't listened to this one or the one before it. Gotta make sure I have my headphones tomorrow. Be a good listen to while I walk watching for how thick chips go down on a road.

IDVortex

WKR
Random side note. Due to the Exo podcast. It drew the fire to hunt mountain goats. If it wasn't for the podcast and how they talk about the hunts, have guys come on tell their stories and make you feel as if you were there, I wouldn't have a desire to do this. And now I'm going on a goat count next weekend because I'm wanting to learn more about them, and see if I want to even hunt in their country. 😂

But with that said, really glad the podcasts are done in such a way that you truly feel as if you're part of the hunt and with them or the guests that come on.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
The episode with Scott Johnston I thought was very Insightful. I don’t know how many times I have heard people say I am so sore I cannot hardly walk after a workout. Gentle increases in speed, intensity, duration just makes sense. Of course long term planning for training are key as well. I just started reading the online resource’s/listening to evolve podcast and they are in depth as well. Good stuff backcountry podcast/experience project!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Ben great to hear your perspective again on the show, you guys put together a cool conversation. The discussion on where to find good information and sponsorships was refreshing.

Exo continues to really level up on the content they are putting out. Immediate listens for me. I think the independence of what they are doing is incredibly valuable.

TOLeary

WKR
Another great podcast. Would love to hear you on some more!

In regards to asking questions about hunting/backpacking, you said something along the lines of asking questions to people who are a step above you rather than an expert because you might not understand fully what the expert is saying (brief summary). I’ve heard this exact saying in other realms but hadn’t thought of it in terms of hunting. I’m curious what questions you found yourself asking someone else, or yourself, when you were early on in your sheep hunting journey?

@B_Reynolds_AK

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Great listen and perspective. I have to agree that gear gets more attention than it should many times, and that I have been guilty of it.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Another great podcast. Would love to hear you on some more!

In regards to asking questions about hunting/backpacking, you said something along the lines of asking questions to people who are a step above you rather than an expert because you might not understand fully what the expert is saying (brief summary). I’ve heard this exact saying in other realms but hadn’t thought of it in terms of hunting. I’m curious what questions you found yourself asking someone else, or yourself, when you were early on in your sheep hunting journey?

@B_Reynolds_AK
That’s a great question.
What the expert has to say is undoubtedly useful to the novice.

However, the novice often asks the expert questions on specific pieces of gear for instance. The expert has so much more experience, that they may be able to use gear that someone who is inexperienced may not be able to get away with, ie. Ultralight.

Someone who is just a bit further along in the journey would be more relatable in how they are hunting or what gear that they find works well.

I feel that the more that someone is an expert in something, the less they rely on what a novice would. Copying someone who is at a very high level when you don’t have that base knowledge is not going to give the same results. The expert progressed on their own journey that the novice needs to experience for themselves if mastery over a subject is what they are seeking.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
An example I see at time is experts who simply can't brake something down simple enough for a novice to understand.

Or, trying to be too complete and causing information overload.

Those two can go together, simplifying something to the point it is only half correct feels odd, but fully correct often only matters at the experts level (does someone shooting 500 yards on an animal need to understand Coriolis effect or even spin drift).

Or, forgetting to teach steps when multiple things are done at once because they have forgotten what it is like to lack the mental bandwidth because it is consumed by tasks that occur below conscious awareness for the experienced person. For example, driving a stick I rarely notice the clutch or shifting gears, it just happens, so no mental bandwidth is expended on what is quite intimidating for a new driver.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
An example I see at time is experts who simply can't brake something down simple enough for a novice to understand.

Or, trying to be too complete and causing information overload.

Those two can go together, simplifying something to the point it is only half correct feels odd, but fully correct often only matters at the experts level (does someone shooting 500 yards on an animal need to understand Coriolis effect or even spin drift).

Or, forgetting to teach steps when multiple things are done at once because they have forgotten what it is like to lack the mental bandwidth because it is consumed by tasks that occur below conscious awareness for the experienced person. For example, driving a stick I rarely notice the clutch or shifting gears, it just happens, so no mental bandwidth is expended on what is quite intimidating for a new driver.
💯

Odd1out

Lil-Rokslider
In your podcast, you mentioned the different altitudes. Which one did you set your br4 to to match the revic app or vice-versa

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
In your podcast, you mentioned the different altitudes. Which one did you set your br4 to to match the revic app or vice-versa

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
I didn’t have to set anything in particular on the BRF, as it automatically measures DA. I just had to come to a more thorough understanding of it. When looking at any app, it’s easy to just punch in 5,000 ft if that is what your GPS or Topo states, but you should really be entering your DA, determined by a chart or a device such as a kestrel. The BR4 continues to impress and has been working great for me.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Over the winter I learned AB doesn't allow DAs of less than -4999 when I was trying to punch in what my Kestrel gave me. Quite different than my actual elevation of about 200 ft.

I listened to most of it on my hike tonight and really enjoyed it! I’m kinda like Steve though, my mind wanders when I hear something and I’ll think about that one thing for a bit 🤣 I will start it over again tomorrow while I drive around checking jobs.

TOLeary

WKR
@B_Reynolds_AK @Marbles

Definitely makes sense. I feel it a lot reading the rifle content on here. For me, I’ve noticed it the most with gear and animal behavior. You hear guys using a tipi/stove and another with just a tarp and don’t understand it. Once those same people describe their use case scenarios it makes sense and it can try to be applied.

Then you hear hunt scenarios and don’t quite understand it until you run into that situation in the field and it just clicks. I think combining the person with the info describing their thought process and being in the field helps that information, that once felt useless, really sink in. For me, hearing it or reading it keeps it in the back of my mind somewhere for when I cross a situation and then I’m reminded and can refer back

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
@B_Reynolds_AK @Marbles

Definitely makes sense. I feel it a lot reading the rifle content on here. For me, I’ve noticed it the most with gear and animal behavior. You hear guys using a tipi/stove and another with just a tarp and don’t understand it. Once those same people describe their use case scenarios it makes sense and it can try to be applied.

Then you hear hunt scenarios and don’t quite understand it until you run into that situation in the field and it just clicks. I think combining the person with the info describing their thought process and being in the field helps that information, that once felt useless, really sink in. For me, hearing it or reading it keeps it in the back of my mind somewhere for when I cross a situation and then I’m reminded and can refer back
Great assessment. That is my experience as well.

For those that enjoy the Hunt Backcountry Podcast, here is the latest in The Experience Project series. It is an episode that I got on and chatted with Steve and Mark last week.
Enjoy!

Cool episode, good perspective on the holistic look at “success” when it comes to hunting. Thinking about the way we think is an undervalued practice for most, great philosophical dialogue in there 👍

huntnful

WKR
Another great podcast and conversation! Always appreciate your perspective and info Ben! Their latest series of podcasts have been absolute bangers!

Loved the dude talking about fitness and training for mountain treks. I literally went into the gym that day with a completely different perspective on my training prior to hunting season. And implemented what he said immediately.