“The Elk are up high”

That archery aspect is true and that was my first thought. However, after some consideration, I doubt scrub is any more difficult than archery hunting in the open alpine. And the lack of water in scrub oak country makes pinpointing water sources relatively simple compared to the abundance of water sources in the alpine.

I like the oak brush less than the alpine because it's tight, noisy, tough to move in, and lots of times you don't get a good look at an animal prior to him being in your lap, so you have to make snap judgements on "this is the bull I want to put my tag on."

But I also like the alpine (and oak brush) less than the stuff between the alpine and the oak brush. I've only killed 3 bulls but all of them where in the timber below the highest stuff. I think this is where most archery bulls get killed.

Saturday I watched a bull chasing cows here in AZ at 3700’ in PJ country while scouting for deer. They were pretty close to a major OHV trail but the road and topography were just right so that the elk were obscured where the road got closest to the elk. Would’ve been an easy packout too with another trail goes through a few hundred yards farther down the hill

IMG_9680.jpeg
Digiscoping can do better but was rushing and fiddling with settings and it’s only a video frame

Last edited: