The do it all self-defense pistol

If I wasn't worried about concealment, Glock 34. Concealed, Glock 26 with a grip extension. It's not that Glock has great ergonomics or sights, they just work no matter what. My G17 has about 80k rounds through it and hardly a single failure other than bad reloads. The parts are cheap and everything is simple to replace. Mags are well designed and relatively inexpensive.

I think so of y'all are pretty funny.
It was just simply a cold snowy day question. Wanted to know if you we're going to pick one pistol, just one, not a recommendation for which one I should buy, not if I could have 2, not which one I shoot best, because the one I shoot best you might hate.

Your choice, your caring it, but your choice has to be just one pistol.

A Ruger sp101 with 3” barrel is stupid accurate and always works jam-free. I admit it’s heavy, but with full power loads that’s not a bad thing.
I have a GP100 that I like as well. Shoots the magnum loads a little easier but not able to conceal like the SP101. One thing I like about the revolver is that it won't jam. I have been down the capacity argument with a lot of people, and it really comes down to the fact that you'll probably only get a couple of shots off anyway. And if the threat isn't neutralized in 2-3 shots, then the bad guy will either be on top of you or running the other direction. If you need 15 rounds, you haven't practiced enough to effectively hit your target.

If I am carrying a semi auto, I have a M&P Shield in 9mm that I can shoot well and it's super easy to conceal.

Whatever you decide to carry, just make sure you extremely familiar with it, practice as much as possible and can shoot and reload with your off hand as well.

After carrying a semi-auto on duty for a couple of decades, I’ve since switched back to revolvers. Two J frames- one in .22 for knocking down grouse/hares, one in .38 that serves as my "Walmart gun" and a L frame in .44 mag for grizzly country.

If I was in charge of S&W I'd bring back an offering in .327 magnum- J frame, 5 shots, alloy frame, short barrel- that could probably suffice as a do it all sidearm for me. Sadly though I'm not in charge of S&W :ROFLMAO:

I recently decided to do this very thing, and I carry a smith and wesson M&P 2.0 in 9mm. I used to carry one at work and got used to the platform. Now it is my EDC, my woods gun (I live in Montana in grizzly country) and my competition gun.
I subscribe to the "bullets matter more than headstamps" crowd and will change magazines depending on the activity at hand.
Being familiar with your pistol is underrated IMO.

of all my Sigs if I could keep only one it would be my SigPro, I have 2 different caliber barrels for it and it shoots great for me.

I would miss my Sig 365xl though....that is a sweet little pistol followed my missing my 239 which is a very solid gun but low mag capacity.

I have a Springfield Hellcat that is compact and it sits in my bedside desk. I am personally a fan of compact 9MM's as both a conceal and home defense option. I have other pistols for hunting purposes.

The most important thing is finding a pistol you are comfortable with. Not what everyone is buying. If you live in a location with a range that rents out pistols...that's a good place to find what will work for you.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Co. Still allows 15 round magazines. As liberal as it has become.
Allowed 15, I live here and don’t have any that I feel I need more then 10. Many only hold 5, totally comfortable with those also. Op, glock 43.

Last edited:
I think so of y'all are pretty funny.
It was just simply a cold snowy day question. Wanted to know if you we're going to pick one pistol, just one, not a recommendation for which one I should buy, not if I could have 2, not which one I shoot best, because the one I shoot best you might hate.

Your choice, your caring it, but your choice has to be just one pistol.
But my one pistol is actually 3 pistols!

CZ p-07 or p-10 (p-10c for me) all day every day over the G17/G19 equivalents. Costs less, doesn’t require an additional 50% of original cost spent on it immediately AND is slightly to significanty better in every category that actually matters.

Aftermarket support has to be the most overrated criteria for placing value in guns. Some manufacturers get it right in the 1st place 🤷‍♂️.

CZ p-07 or p-10 all day every day over the G17/G19 equivalents. Costs less, doesn’t require an additional 50% of original cost spent on it immediately AND is slightly to significanty better in every category that actually matters.
Why do you think Glocks require money spent on them? What are the categories that matter (to you)?

Back