The do it all self-defense pistol

I used to carry a 9mm, and then chose a G20 back in 2010 and haven't looked back since. I also carry a Ruger LCP .380 pocket gun at times.
This is my setup. xDM Compact Elite 10mm and LCP Max .380 for EDC. Keep a full size 10mm xDM with light and red dot next to the bed

If I had to have only one for home and woods it would be the compact 10mm. Can mount a light, red dot if desired or irons, extended mag for 15+1 for home defense. Can use just iron sights and 13+1 mag for woods carry. Would not want to EDC it but it works well appendix when driving and some walking around.

mcseal2

WKR
If concealed carry isn't an issue I'd have to pick my S&W 386XL Hunter in 357. It's what I carry a lot in the woods in the lower 48. It's basically a lighter 686 7 shot. I can use a lot of different ammo types and it seems to put them all pretty close to the same spot. I mainly carry 158gr JSP or 180gr Hardcast depending on the day, but I can put in 158gr 38's at a much slower speed for small game and hit pretty close out to 25 yards. The S&W 60 Pro Series 5 shot is another favorite, but it's a lot slower for follow up shots than the bigger gun, and not that much lighter. Both have had the triggers smoothed out and are nice to shoot.

If concealed carry is included I'll take a Sig 365XL. I've been taking that one to the river a lot on summer trips since I'm usually stopping in civilization on my way to the ramp. For some reason I shoot the 365 series a lot better than other striker fired semi-autos I've tried.

I like 10mm a lot, but my Sig 220 Hunter and 1911 are heavy enough I don't carry them unless grizzly or brown bear are a possibility, I take the revolvers. I never liked the grip angle on the Glock well enough to love the 20, great guns just not for me. I've considered buying a S&W M&P 10mm 2.0 in the performance center version. I shoot best with a good trigger and prefer a safety on a semi-auto.

I have had some 44's and with the hot loads it's just more recoil than I handle well. I can practice with 357 or 10mm a lot more without flinching. Also my hands aren't big enough to be as fast as I'd like with any 44 except the S&W 69 that's on the same frame as my 357 I think. It is a nice gun but has more recoil than I like.

Through high school, college, and for several years after I carried an inexpensive Ruger P95. I still have a few of those and for the money they are hard to beat. They are built very stout and have been extremely reliable through a lot of neglect.

But if I could only have one handgun (BORING!!) I would hang onto my Colt Special Combat Gov. Would also hang onto my Marvels 22 slide, as thats just an awesome package.

Have been playing with a prodigy lately. It has made me forget about every other 9mm that I own. But still have some quirks to work out before it has a chance of becoming that ONE gun

Last edited:
Hi point = ghetto blaster
LOL definitely. While I would never buy one, I have a buddy who is a pretty serious gun guy that bought one sort of as an experiment. He's probably had it 15 years and put no telling how many rounds through it, and it's still going bang. It's had some malfunctions here and there but overall it surprised us. It's never been his carry gun or anything, just something he's shot. Please nobody go buy a Hi Point based on me saying this!!

Hi point = ghetto blaster
I bought a Hi Point years ago as something to mess around with. I have put thousands of rounds through the damn thing with nary an issue!
The running joke is that if it ever misfires, I can just hit someone with hit, cause it feels like a brick.

Longplay

FNG
Glock - double stack 9, like 19 or 17.
9mm ballistics have come a long ways, they work. Affordable practice, comfortable to shoot, able to carry. The 10mms bark and they’re thicker and heavier. The single stacks also less fun to use and limited mag capacity and less compatibility with what everyone else is using.

You Glock guys what pushed you towards the 19 vs 43x for a carry weapon ? Obviously more rounds . Was at a gun shop the other day and quite surprised picking up a 43x how much i liked it