The Capra World Slam.

How many here have completed the Capra World Slam? i.e. 12 Goat species.

I have recently caught the mountain hunting bug (bad).

Since I've started to research this topic, the astronomical prices of a North American sheep hunt had me looking into international destinations for Ovis species on a budget.

That search further opened up the possibilities of hunting the Capra species of the world for much, much less. I have recently booked myself a North American goat hunt and am now quite intrigued by the various Ibex, Chamois, Tahr and Tur species that I'm halfway considering taking on the challenge of the Capra World Slam.

Between Canada, Spain and NZ I could theoretically have 7/12 completed, leaving the remaining 5 for Asian destinations.

Has anyone else here done the same? Have you completed the slam or progressing towards it? Just running the rough numbers now but I'm estimating you could hunt the Capra slam for at least 1/5th the cost of the Ovis slam?

Some food for thought.

MntHunter

FNG
You can get 6 in Spain if you count the Chamois. Also 2 in NZ (they classify the Alpine NZ different than the Alpine in Europe).

It would be a very cool goal to see some very unique places.

OP
N
Yeah it does seem really cool.

So just trying to envision a plan here for the 12, I could do.

1. North American Mountain Goat (Canada)
2. Beceite ibex (Spain)
3. Gredos ibex (Spain)
4. Southeastern Ibex (Spain)
5. Ronda Ibex (Spain)
6. Cantabrian Chamois (Spain)
7. Pyrenees Chamois (Spain)
8. Himalayan/Alpine Tahr (Bulgaria)
9. NZ Himalayan Tahr (New Zealand)
10. NZ Chamois (New Zealand)
11. Bezoar Ibex (Turkey)
12. Mid-Asian Ibex (Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, or Kyrgyzstan).

I probably wouldn't hunt half the list in Spain so would likely swap out one or both of the chamois for Chamois or KriKri Ibex in Croatia or an Alpine Ibex in Austria. One of the Tur's could also be an option.

Of course a Markhor would be the pinnacle to any Capra hunt but that's out of my price range.

Suera

FNG
I have the 7 of Spain ( 4 ibex, 2 chamois and the balerian boc), plus 7 different chamois ( Alpine, Vercors, Chartreuse, Anatolian, Balkan, Carpathian , Caucasian ) also you can add low-trata chamois this will be my final chamois.
With this you have the Capra world slam and the cost is half that only one ram in some places 😂.
Also I have some Asian ibex, tur and more...
But never hunted to completed this slam, I hunted because I love these animals and where they live , the slam is secondary for me.
And believe me I'm normal Budget person, make the o is world slam is in other level.

OP
N
I have the 7 of Spain ( 4 ibex, 2 chamois and the balerian boc), plus 7 different chamois ( Alpine, Vercors, Chartreuse, Anatolian, Balkan, Carpathian , Caucasian ) also you can add low-trata chamois this will be my final chamois.
With this you have the Capra world slam and the cost is half that only one ram in some places 😂.
Also I have some Asian ibex, tur and more...
But never hunted to completed this slam, I hunted because I love these animals and where they live , the slam is secondary for me.
And believe me I'm normal Budget person, make the o is world slam is in other level.
That is impressive! As someone who has already hunted many of these, which hunts stood out the most to you?

Would you recommend some over others? Any that you didn't enjoy as much?

If one were to be limited to 12 hunts, would you still recommend hunting all 4 of the Spanish Ibex?

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Suera

FNG
That is impressive! As someone who has already hunted many of these, which hunts stood out the most to you?

Would you recommend some over others? Any that you didn't enjoy as much?

If one were to be limited to 12 hunts, would you still recommend hunting all 4 of the Spanish Ibex?

Curious to hear your thoughts.
I hunted the 4 ibex in Spain because I'm from here and for me is very easy hunt them, but if I were from another country and my budget were limited definitely I would only hunt two of them, Beceite and depend the budget Gredos ( expensive) or south -east.
If you like true adventure and hard hunting Tur will be one of the first in my list and at least one is the Asian ibex , for me Himalayan ibex is my favorite, but for the country and people because the Himalayan ibex and mid asian ibex are all pretty similar.
Finally the chamois is same, living in Europe is very easy and affordable hunt them comparing with other animals and of course is real mountain hunting, but all them are same with little differences in size and colour, I hunted them because I grew hunting them in Spain and I fell in love with them and since I was a child collect them was a dream.

Mojave

WKR
European chamois hunts for mainland Europe are right around $4000 for a trophy and half that for a 1-3 year old buck.
This includes Pyrenees in France
Alpine in France, Austria and Slovenia
Romanian
Bulgarian
Croatia

France has four kinds of chamois 2 are expensive weird slams collector ones. Pyrenean and Alpine are the normal price ones. Chartreuse and another one I can't remember the name of.

Spanish pyraneian chamois are about $1000-2000 more, so are Spanish Cantabrian chamois.

Spanish ibex through an American outfitter are $10-15,000 each. Through a European agent they are $4000 base price and go up to about $15,000 for a super gold.

My outfitter has some deals on Beceite ibex, send me a PM and I'll forward you his contact information.

Alpine ibex are base price about $5000 for a 1-3 year old buck, and about $20-50,000 for an adult mature billy. Krygistan is a better deal, let me know if you want some information it. My guy does them too. They are about $8000-9000 for a nice billy.

Mouflon here in Europe end up about $3500 for a nice trophy, and they don't really have a top end. Maybe. $20,000 for a super gold. Most gold medal free range rams are in the $6500-8500 range if not cheaper.

Mojave

WKR
Yeah it does seem really cool.

So just trying to envision a plan here for the 12, I could do.

1. North American Mountain Goat (Canada)
2. Beceite ibex (Spain)
3. Gredos ibex (Spain)
4. Southeastern Ibex (Spain)
5. Ronda Ibex (Spain)
6. Cantabrian Chamois (Spain)
7. Pyrenees Chamois (Spain)
8. Himalayan/Alpine Tahr (Bulgaria)
9. NZ Himalayan Tahr (New Zealand)
10. NZ Chamois (New Zealand)
11. Bezoar Ibex (Turkey)
12. Mid-Asian Ibex (Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, or Kyrgyzstan).

I probably wouldn't hunt half the list in Spain so would likely swap out one or both of the chamois for Chamois or KriKri Ibex in Croatia or an Alpine Ibex in Austria. One of the Tur's could also be an option.

Of course a Markhor would be the pinnacle to any Capra hunt but that's out of my price range.

The Bulgarian tahr are in a 500 acre fenced area, same as the ones in Croatia.
Bulgaria has the same chamois and Romania, you could do that and be into it for $5000.

Real Kri Kris are $30,000 in Greece, the one in Croatia and Bulgaria are just hybrid goats.

Mongolian ibex are $15,000. There are two.