The 6UM

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
A few people have PMed me about the hunt. This is where we went. They are free roaming with about a million acres to hide with this ranch and the King Ranch. Nilgai meat is delicious, and they are a cool animal to chase around and break up the cabin fever and a great animal to test a cartridge on. We shot two Nilgai cows, lots of pigs, and an axis doe. The 6UM is legit!

A scared-up bull we videoed while pig hunting.

Lane's Cow

lanenalgai.jpg

My Cow
RyanNalgai1.jpg

Last edited:

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
I think I've read before that when the .416 Rem came out, a bunch of gun writers tested the new cartridge on a nilgai hunt. Apparently they had trouble getting them killed cleanly. That might have helped give the animals their "bullet proof" status.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
The way they fight, you can see why they need a dense neck and ribcage.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Can you explain this more?

Rebated boattails obturate better/easier which helps barrels nearing the end of their life. My personal experience with it is with Lapua rebated BT bullets. In 308 barrels that were starting to go south with normal bullets, you could switch to the Lapua D46 185gr bullet and get another 500-1,000 rounds out of the barrel. “If” the same applies to the DTAC’s that helps 6mm’s immensely. While few have to worry about barrel life, I do. A barrel that only lasts 1,000-1,500 rounds isn’t a common use item for me. However, 2,000+ plus rounds, yeah that changes it.

280Ackley

WKR
Rebated boattails obturate better/easier which helps barrels nearing the end of their life. My personal experience with it is with Lapua rebated BT bullets. In 308 barrels that were starting to go south with normal bullets, you could switch to the Lapua D46 185gr bullet and get another 500-1,000 rounds out of the barrel. “If” the same applies to the DTAC’s that helps 6mm’s immensely. While few have to worry about barrel life, I do. A barrel that only lasts 1,000-1,500 rounds isn’t a common use item for me. However, 2,000+ plus rounds, yeah that changes it.
Thank you! What would you recommend for 280 AI nearing the end of its life?

Last edited:
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
70ac3545e9ff0e6d4056505115e8e47c.jpg

I called and they delivered 1000 deep cut boolets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro