The 22 creedmoor thread

id_jon

WKR
Going to try another one? I’ll be happy if I get 800-1000 out of mine. I wonder if a shorter throat would help with barrel life?
I recently ordered a PVA, .100 freebore. I think I'll order an Ace through UM too and do .120 on it.

Give us a UM tikka prefit test. Iv been thinking of one but my shooting volume and barrel inventory right now isn’t to the point that I need a new barrel.

I was going to call them about an ace prefit but found a deal on a factory take off I couldn’t pass up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less than 40 rounds in after cleaning, ES went to 125 and I had a few in a row with crazy bolt lift. I'm retiring this barrel, 764 total rounds.

That’s about what I got from both the barrels I’ve had. Both tikka 223 rechambered to 22 cm. What barrel was this?

Was thinking about getting a barrel from UM but hard to spend that much for that amount of barrel life. Both the factory barrels i had done were about $300.

That’s about what I got from both the barrels I’ve had. Both tikka 223 rechambered to 22 cm. What barrel was this?

Was thinking about getting a barrel from UM but hard to spend that much for that amount of barrel life. Both the factory barrels i had done were about $300.

Was that barrel plus chamber, or just the chamber cost?

That's not too bad. I love the idea of this cartridge because I want to keep everything I have on LRP and a 473 bolt face. But it seems like this cartridge is really finicky for cleaning and life

That's not too bad. I love the idea of this cartridge because I want to keep everything I have on LRP and a 473 bolt face. But it seems like this cartridge is really finicky for cleaning and life

Mine were not finicky for cleaning but barrel life was about 800 for each barrel I’ve had. There one that’s in now was good for the 88’s to about 750 then I tried the 77 tmk and it’s still shooting those at 1.5 moa for 10 shots. Have about 100 of those when the tube at this point.

Update: 10/12

Have the barrel broken in, figured I would add some information on my final load for the season, and what I have found. I’m around 250 rounds on the barrel now, and it has sped up approximately 120fps.

I gave up on h4350. It’s just too hot of a powder for the pressure I like to run my rifles, I am load fairly low, wanting a load that’s safe from high heat and moisture to working well in the cold. I’m also assuming that low powder density combined with small rifle primers lent to some poor ignition, having multiple hang fires in sub 20 degree temps.

I swapped to the Peterson brass with LRP, I wouldn’t buy SRP brass for this load any longer, large rifle with their thicker cup combined with better ignition just make for a more reliable system for my purpose of this rifle.

I had some carbon issues with my suppressor shedding lots of carbon, ending up with chunks occasionally in the freebore and neck area, causing pressure and a number of pieces of brass wrecked. This was exacerbated by h4350. From now on when swapping to a short barrel rifle, that has a lot more muzzle pressure than most of what I shoot, I’ll clean the suppressor immediately. I had chunks coming down my bore that I couldn’t believe even fit down the bore. Lesson learned as I shoot 100% suppressed now. Could see the chunks baked into the neck/freebore area with the bore scope.

Final load with h4831sc and Peterson LRP and 88eldm has ended at 2840fps average. I have worked up more, and could achieve another 100fps, but that’s the top end, 100fps makes no difference for my uses with this rifle. My load is still moving 2kfps at 500 yards, really where I want to keep it terminally at my max range.

Last few days I have been shooting cold bore along with confining zero with a few shots and this rifle seems to be holding awesome.

View attachment 613095

Loaded up some 77tmk. 42g of h4831sc made 3k fps average, grouping very well. 77tmk at faster velocity create some serious damage. I’m not sure I’d want more on a deer.

View attachment 632225
Holy dedication

id_jon

WKR

I think I am going to limit my practice with it a lot more, do most practice with 223/308 and save the 22cm for hunting. Will probably end up buying a second rokstok so I can have two of the same rifle.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I think I am going to limit my practice with it a lot more, do most practice with 223/308 and save the 22cm for hunting. Will probably end up buying a second rokstok so I can have two of the same rifle.

This is exactly my plan with mine. For now swapping the scope back and forth. Thing gets way too hot way too fast anyways during range sessions.

What did you go for on length and contour on the PVA?

id_jon

WKR
This is exactly my plan with mine. For now swapping the scope back and forth. Thing gets way too hot way too fast anyways during range sessions.

What did you go for on length and contour on the PVA?
16.5" 3b. I really wanted to flute it too, but decided to save $150. Going to go Tikka sporter from UM

If I do another one this is my plan as well. Seems like anything over 5 rounds back to back and it gets pretty warm. Probably part of the reason my barrels didn’t last as long as I was hoping, I wasn’t easy on it.

Fire_9

WKR
While I've been waiting on my barrel and reamer to ship, I've really been mind f***ing the bullet choice for this one. Ordered an Ace light palma in 7.5 twist that I plan on finishing at 17" and PTG reamer with .120 freebore. I'm mainly going between the 77 TMK, 85.5 Berger, and 88 eld but have also thought about the 80 elds. Hard to spend the extra money on the bergers when there are other good options available but I've always had good luck with them. Most my hunting is typically within 400 so probably doesn't matter but I'm still struggling. What's the consensus for you guys that have been shooting it for a while?

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot the 88 ELD-m exclusively out of mine, a 1:8 twist Tikka 22-250 rechambered to 22 Creedmoor. Built it around that bullet with the intent for it to be my do all big game rifle, where caliber restrictions allow. A cow elk and antelope have both succumbed to the bullet, very impressive on both accounts.

Jimbee

WKR
I shoot the 88 ELD-m exclusively out of mine, a 1:8 twist Tikka 22-250 rechambered to 22 Creedmoor. Built it around that bullet with the intent for it to be my do all big game rifle, where caliber restrictions allow. A cow elk and antelope have both succumbed to the bullet, very impressive on both accounts.
Any load data you'd be willing to share. I did the exact same thing but 88eld don't group so good. I don't know if I should keep trying to push them faster, or if 1:8 just isn't going to work at negative density altitude.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
Any load data you'd be willing to share. I did the exact same thing but 88eld don't group so good. I don't know if I should keep trying to push them faster, or if 1:8 just isn't going to work at negative density altitude.
You bet:
Alpha LRP brass, 39.5 gr of H4350, COAL of 2.625” Fed 210m primer. In 18” barrel 3050 fps.

While I've been waiting on my barrel and reamer to ship, I've really been mind f***ing the bullet choice for this one. Ordered an Ace light palma in 7.5 twist that I plan on finishing at 17" and PTG reamer with .120 freebore. I'm mainly going between the 77 TMK, 85.5 Berger, and 88 eld but have also thought about the 80 elds. Hard to spend the extra money on the bergers when there are other good options available but I've always had good luck with them. Most my hunting is typically within 400 so probably doesn't matter but I'm still struggling. What's the consensus for you guys that have been shooting it for a while?
Can't help on the hunting side as I haven't had the chance to use the 88's on game yet, but will say they've tended to be the most affordable option--for now. I expect the introduction of the 22 ARC will drive up demand and prices for the 88 ELDM.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR

I prefer what a plastic tipped cup and core bullet does when compared to a Berger style bullet. Less neck length before upset.

I can’t speak to that specific Berger though.

As noted in this thread, the 77tmk at creedmoor speeds makes the 22 cal bullet seem like a different animal terminally.

id_jon

WKR
88gr eld kills elk very well, in my sample of one. Way cheaper than the 85.5, bc is almost identical, the bergers shoot slightly better for me. I only tried the bergers cause I was blowing up the 88s when it was hot out and I had a hot barrel.