The 22 creedmoor thread

TX_Diver

WKR
Wind performance ends up being basically the same at reasonable hunting ranges, and as noted above you get a substancial velocity but in a short barrel. At the end of the day even with a better BC I can’t shoot or correct the difference if the guns hold the same wind number. You also gain a little flatter trajectory meaning more room for ranging errors in the field.

That combined with lack of recoil make a pretty forgiving rifle.

A 6 would be a much more appealing option if willing to keep it 20”. But for a short suppressed rifle I have no regrets on the 22 creed.

Really the oh downside is 22 cal being illegal for some big game. I don’t think I could make a better deer gun.

The 6cm makes the most sense probably. I'm already setup with a 6.5 (once my rokstock shows up) I think at this point I'll just hunt with the 6.5cm and 143 ELD-X or 147 ELD-Ms. More rounds shot rather than messing around with a new gun is going to be more beneficial for me I think.

STXB245

FNG
Anyone running a Forster FL dies with Peterson brass? I bought the Forster dies and at first, with the die bottomed out, it wasn’t touching the shoulder. Sent it to Forster and they faced the bottom to get the shoulder bumped a couple thousandths. I ran a few pieces of Peterson brass through it and it doesn’t seem to be sizing the neck enough. I ran it with and without the expander ball and I’m able to slide a bullet in the neck with no resistance. Im getting a neck diameter of .251” on loaded rounds with Peterson. After sizing, it’s only getting them to .252”. I know Hornady brass is a little thicker. When I run them through it gets them sized just enough for about .002” under loaded round diameter which works for neck tension. Anyone else seeing this?

I’m shooting the exact same combo and didn’t have any issues bumping the shoulder and I can’t remember what the sized neck measures but .251” stands out for loaded ammo again that’s all off the top of my head for now I can get more measurements tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STXB245

FNG
I’m shooting the exact same combo and didn’t have any issues bumping the shoulder and I can’t remember what the sized neck measures but .251” stands out for loaded ammo again that’s all off the top of my head for now I can get more measurements tomorrow

Interesting. Yeah, I’d like to hear what your neck diameter is after sizing. I’m going to give them a call Monday. I know it would require a new die as it’s not as easy as removing material like they did the first time. I really like their micrometer seating die so I went with their sizing die as well. It’s turning out to be a pain so far.

Interesting. Yeah, I’d like to hear what your neck diameter is after sizing. I’m going to give them a call Monday. I know it would require a new die as it’s not as easy as removing material like they did the first time. I really like their micrometer seating die so I went with their sizing die as well. It’s turning out to be a pain so far.

I’ll get you a measurement tomorrow. That sucks I’ve always had good luck with their dies and prefer them

Loaded necks measure .251” with the 88s.

Sized necks averaged .2495”

STXB245

FNG
I’m interested in hearing what they have to say

Talked to Ryan at Forster. He said the neck dimension of the die should be 0.247", -.001"/+.002". So something is wrong with my die. He mentioned brass spring back but I can't see that much spring back happening on annealed brass. Especially since the Hornady and Peterson both get sized to .252". Anyways, he wants me to send in my die and a few pieces of brass so they can take a look at it. He said they will likely end up replacing it but, unfortunately, those dies are on backorder with no eta.

Talked to Ryan at Forster. He said the neck dimension of the die should be 0.247", -.001"/+.002". So something is wrong with my die. He mentioned brass spring back but I can't see that much spring back happening on annealed brass. Especially since the Hornady and Peterson both get sized to .252". Anyways, he wants me to send in my die and a few pieces of brass so they can take a look at it. He said they will likely end up replacing it but, unfortunately, those dies are on backorder with no eta.

At least they are looking at it but a giant bummer they don’t have an eta for you. I wouldn’t think it would be spring back either the brass I measured for you was on its 4th loading and still getting those measurements

STXB245

FNG
At least they are looking at it but a giant bummer they don’t have an eta for you. I wouldn’t think it would be spring back either the brass I measured for you was on its 4th loading and still getting those measurements

Bummer indeed. I'll update eventually when it's all said and done.

Dobie07

FNG
Curious where folks are getting tikkas .223 and 22-250’s rechambered at a reasonable cost, everywhere I’ve called it’s the same price as getting a new barrel chambered and installed.

STXB245

FNG
Curious where folks are getting tikkas .223 and 22-250’s rechambered at a reasonable cost, everywhere I’ve called it’s the same price as getting a new barrel chambered and installed.
I got mine done by John at Twisted Precision Rifles in Centerpoint, Texas. Tikka 1:8” 22-250 rechambered, cut to 18” and threaded 1/2x28. Charged me $370 total. He does damn good work. Gun shoots 1/2 MOA with very little load development. He also loads and sells 22 Creed ammo. Apparently it’s some good shooting stuff.

TxLite

WKR
I got mine done by John at Twisted Precision Rifles in Centerpoint, Texas. Tikka 1:8” 22-250 rechambered, cut to 18” and threaded 1/2x28. Charged me $370 total. He does damn good work. Gun shoots 1/2 MOA with very little load development. He also loads and sells 22 Creed ammo. Apparently it’s some good shooting stuff.
I guess my question here would by what’s the motive for a rechambered tikka barrel vs a mcgowen prefit for another hundred bucks or so? The tikka barrels I’ve been around seem to generally run slower than other barrels of the same cartridge

Bart Baldwin did mine very close to the same price as above it’s an all day 1” 10 shot gun found a few loads with 88s that are much smaller. The draw to me was a 22-250 barrel popped up for sale and I could have it back quick and see how I liked the 22creed… turns out I love and need to get another barrel ordered soon so it’s ready when this one gets shot out

STXB245

FNG
I guess my question here would by what’s the motive for a rechambered tikka barrel vs a mcgowen prefit for another hundred bucks or so? The tikka barrels I’ve been around seem to generally run slower than other barrels of the same cartridge
I decided to go that route for a few reasons. John isn’t far from me so it was convenient to just drop off/pick up. He had it done in a few weeks vs a few months for a prefit. He backs his work 100%. That being said, he obviously can’t guarantee accuracy with a factory Tikka barrel. Being that I’ll have this barrel shot out fairly quick, I figured I’d go the quicker, more convenient route and save a little coin in the process. John’s a stand up guy and I’d do business with him any day. I’m more than happy with the route I went. Gun shoots great. Now the Tikka I used didn’t have a single round down the tube. If it was well used gun I probably would have gone a different route.

DosAmigos

FNG
John is a great guy for sure. He's now loading a 80.5 Berger hope to try them out soon.