The 2012 David L vs Aron S challenge!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When David and I started talking about building Rokslide.com the conversation about hunting elk and mule deer came up often, and the fact that I've never killed a deer over 170"s came up even more!
Now David is a pure trophy hunter, only taking the largest deer in the area or going home with nothing.
I on the other hand have issues with unfilled tags, but have no issues dropping a 150 buck. When it comes to elk I have a pretty decent record of shooting a good bull every 3 years and just about anything else in between. What David calls freaked up priorities:)

So David and I are entertaining the idea of a hunting challenge between each other.

I would have to keep it in my pants long enough to shoot a deer over 180"s and David would have to shoot and elk.

So what do you guys think would be the equivalent score of a 180 deer to an elk in inches?

We get this figured out we can get some bets put on the table!

BiG Boar

FNG
depends which state or province the animals come from. A 180 inch buck with a sweet draw is pretty easy, and so is an elk if you have a very coveted draw.

In my province of BC, I would say a 180 inch mulie is like a 330 class bull.

Never shot either, so I should know.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow.....Dave to shoot an elk. Who would have thought! Since Dave hasn't killed a bull before I am going to drop the number for elk a bit. Or has he?

180=300 if he hasn't
180=340 if he has

dotman

WKR
I'm going to have to say 320 for otc, get the poll up :). Here is the big question, what are the chances of you keeping it in your pants?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We could do a total score of both animals, that way if I don't keep it in my pants my elk will carry me:)

i'd say the score on the elk would depend on the unit and what's come out of it in the past few years. a 180 mulie is a great buck. can someone post a pic of a
180ish buck and a 340ish bull?

OTC ELK in COLORADO!!! I am gonna say 290-300". Come on guys its OTC in Colorado!!!! I can find 180" bucks in ANY high country unit in CO with enough scouting time but a 300" bull in some of those areas...IDK!?!?! And if I know davids personality well enough he will see a GREAT bull (340+) and pass on EVERYTHING else just to kill that one!! :)

pronghorn

FNG
While I think this is an interesting concept, I have to give the nod to David on this one. I'm not sure the first velvet covered forkie won't be in trouble:) I also know that you should draw a good elk tag this year and that will be in the front of you mind trying to get the deer hunt over with so you can focus on a big stinky bull.

All that being said, I think a 180 buck is probably comparable to a 340-350 bull. Neither one grows on trees.....

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
OTC unit......300-320" would be a fair comparison, imo.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming you guys are talking archery only...Based on all time P&Y data. A 180+" Deer equates to about the top 18% of entries. A 338+" Elk equates to about the same top 18%.

So I say 180" Deer vs 338" Bull