Test Loads for .300 Win Mag question

I tested 4 different loads in my 300 Win Mag today. I shot 5 rounds of each load. I let my rifle cool down and cleaned it between each load variation. I noticed my gun didn't group well until rounds 3-5 after it had some fouling and warmed up a bit. I am going to try a couple of other "recipes" and my question is should I put a few through the barrel to foul it before testing. I am shooting a Remington model .700 XCR with a HS Precision aluminum bedder stock and a weaver 3X15 tactical scope with 3 bolt weaver rings and weaver pica tiny rail. The barrel is a factory Remington barrel. It just seems to group better when the barrel is fowled. this is my first semi custom expensive rig so I am learning as I go.

I have a couple of rifles that like fouling shots. After I clean, I always send one or two down the pipe to have it ready to go.

Check this several times so that you can see what each shot is doing as the bore is fouled shot by shot, and make sure it is a consistent change each time. If it were my gun, I'd shoot some 7 round groups and number every shot. Repeat this 3-4 times and see what they do.

I would just shoot them all without cleaning. Most guns don't need to be cleaned as much as their owners think they do.

HOT ROD

WKR
I have found my savage like a dirty barrel. 5 rounds or so. I should find how many it takes. To foul the barrel. When it starts to shoot bad.

STOP CLEANING THE THING!

Go shoot 20 junk rounds and THAN do your load work. Stop cleaning it. A .300 WM should go several HUNDRED rounds before "needing" to be cleaned unless there are serious bore issues in it.

Theres too kinds of people in this world, those that clean their gun to much, and those that dont clean it enough!

OP
In God We Trust
I don't clean my .06 or .204 except every 30-40 shots and they are very accurate. Not sure why I am so anal about cleaning this gun. You make a valid point.

Youre far more apt to do serious damage cleaning it than just shooting it.

I clean when accuracy goes south. Several hundred rounds in the 22-250 and .260. Back when I shot .308s I maybe cleaned every 500. Big bores tend to last longer. Back when I shot a .17 Rem for fox, I cleaned it every 75-100 or so, only because it needed it as that small bore fouled fast.

With modern, non-corrosive primers and propellants, there is no reason to clean a rifle every 20-30 rounds. (baring serious bore imperfections or special circumstances...i.e. a dunk in the river or other heavy exposures to moisture)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Totally agree, I clean my 300 rum at around the 100-120 round mark. Also if you haven't tried Bore tech eliminator your missing out! Great stuff. Not like the nasty shit I used to use to clean with.