Terminal performance: 69tmk vs 77tmk?

SDHNTR

WKR
I've killed deer with both, and have noticed little difference honestly. I suppose I'd prefer a 77 all things considered, but I certainly wouldn't re-barrel an accurate .22 chambering if it shot the 69s well.

Dave
This was my original point, better said here.

OP
sierracharlie338
Need to watch that when I’m not at work and my attention isn’t divided but at first glance, too many apples to oranges for a scientific explanation IMO. But I’ll watch it again for reference and see what kind of reading I can find on the topic.

xsn10s

WKR

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
Is there a substantial POA/POI difference within the mean point blank range between the 69 & 77gr TMK's?

doty_soty

FNG
You’ll be trading fragmentation for penetration by going heavy, or vice versa. The impact velocity matters here. You don’t want it going too fast or it’ll splat, and too slow (<1900ish) and it won’t frag well.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll be trading fragmentation for penetration by going heavy, or vice versa. The impact velocity matters here. You don’t want it going too fast or it’ll splat, and too slow (<1900ish) and it won’t frag well.
Assuming an impact velocity of at least 1800fps, wouldn't the heavier one both fragment better and penetrate better?

Der Schwabe

FNG
Classified Approved
My rifle has a 1-10" twist and shoots the 69 TMK like crazy. Nevertheless, I will be stepping up to a 1-8" twist barrel and shooting the 77 TMK. The 69gr did not have the penetration I would like. I say re-barrel to a 1-8", or even 1-7" so you can also shoot the 88 ELD-M. It's only money!

imagegif_0.gif

Thegman

WKR
Another thing to consider is that twist rate (rotational RPM) also plays a role in penetration.
Your losing weight of the projectile as well as RPM’s.
RPM is dependent on twist and muzzle velocity. The higher velocity of the 69gr may make that a moot point despite a slower twist barrel. Need both numbers to calculate RPMs.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen a lot of deer shot with various 223 bullets. Every one of them resulted in a dead deer. Is the 69TMK ideal? No, but if your rifle shoots them well and you place that bullet where it needs to go every time I wouldn't change anything until your barrel is shot out.