Terminal performance: 69tmk vs 77tmk?

Looking for data to compare between both bullets in a 223 chamber and specifically if anyone can show terminal performance differences in bullet weight of the two projectiles. I am very aware of the 223 for killing elephants thread and have read every page however there is very limited data on the 69tmks. Im hoping to see more data on the 69s here.

Here’s the dilemma. I have a 223 bolt gun with 1:9 twist. It hammers 69 regular match kings into half inch groups but does not do great with 75-77 grain stuff I’ve tried at 100yards. Want to ultimately decide if a new barrel is worth the hassle of losing an already great gun for marginal performance improvement or if the 69tmk will provide similar performance in the current set up.

Thanks
SC

qotsa23

FNG
I think this has come up before...maybe search the 223 thread for 69 TMK? Edit: sorry, skipped over that part of the initial post!

I use the 69 TMK’s out of a AR with a 16inch barrel + suppressor. I haven’t hit anything with them other than Kansas Whitetail and some coyotes. Ranges have 25-350ish. They perform very well as far as I can tell. I probably have 8-10 deer with them and never really felt like I needed anything bigger. I wouldn’t rebarrel over not being able to use the 77’s, just my opinion.

OP
sierracharlie338
I use the 69 TMK’s out of a AR with a 16inch barrel + suppressor. I haven’t hit anything with them other than Kansas Whitetail and some coyotes. Ranges have 25-350ish. They perform very well as far as I can tell. I probably have 8-10 deer with them and never really felt like I needed anything bigger. I wouldn’t rebarrel over not being able to use the 77’s, just my opinion.
Solid info here. Thank you. Are you taking body cavity shots or neck/head shots with them?

SDHNTR

WKR
No one asked if they did. I asked for examples of terminal performance. Have any to share with the class?
I just wouldnt sweat 8 grs. The gun is telling you what it likes, don’t argue with it. Accuracy trumps most all else.

FWIW, I shoot 62 gr TTSX out of my .223 (because CA and that’s what this barrel likes) and have zero complaints.

woods89

WKR
My experience is limited, so take from this what you will.

I think perhaps that 8 grains makes more of a difference in a 223 than perhaps the difference between, say, a 168 and 175 30 cal. From seeing wound channels on here from 77 gr, and comparing to my experience with 69 gr, I think there is a difference. I will kill more deer with them, and anticipate that they will work fine, but 1-8 twists and 77 gr seem to be the way.

OP
sierracharlie338
My experience is limited, so take from this what you will.

I think perhaps that 8 grains makes more of a difference in a 223 than perhaps the difference between, say, a 168 and 175 30 cal. From seeing wound channels on here from 77 gr, and comparing to my experience with 69 gr, I think there is a difference. I will kill more deer with them, and anticipate that they will work fine, but 1-8 twists and 77 gr seem to be the way.
Your thought process is starting to mirror what I was wanting to explore. Based on my reading it seemed as there was a slight but still discernible difference in terminal performance but I wasn’t sure if I was reading into it, hence this thread. What have you noticed in terminal performance with the 69s that seems to be different with the 77s you’ve seen

woods89

WKR
Your thought process is starting to mirror what I was wanting to explore. Based on my reading it seemed as there was a slight but still discernible difference in terminal performance but I wasn’t sure if I was reading into it, hence this thread. What have you noticed in terminal performance with the 69s that seems to be different with the 77s you’ve seen

I'm going to be a little careful here, as 2 whitetails is a pretty small sample size. My observation would be that they may not penetrate quite like the 77 gr. Hard to argue with dead deer, though.