Tent Question - One tent or two, or?

I recently picked up a Kuiu Mountainstar 2p tent. Nice tent but it is on the small side for my size. I am 6'1" with a long torso so my head rubs when sitting up in the tent. Also it seems kinda short and I worry about my bag rubbing on the ends of the tent. That being said I am considering returning it and picking up a Durston Xmid 2 solid. Most of my hunts are truck base camp hunts with a few spike out type hunts here and there. I also am planning to do some hunts in Alaska in the coming years. Would the Xmid fit my use case or do I need to be looking at two types of tents depending on where I hunt? Or do I suck it up and keep the Mountainstar and add an Xmid to cover everything? I got the Mountainstar really cheap so it is hard to justify spending $700+ on a Hilleberg...

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is a personal preference. My base camp tent is big enough for cots and to stand up. I use a buddy heater and it is very comfortable. I use my Xmid 1 for backpacking. It is lightweight and easy setup and takedown. It works great for that use.

91ut3v.jpg

AKDoc

WKR
^^^I totally agree...it's up to you and your anticipated adventures into the future.

I have a KUIU Mountain Star and have used it for the past decade...sheep hunting with my daughter and solo on numerous remote 10-day packraft floats.

I also have a Hilleberg Staika...which I have also owned for the past decade. I've used it solo for remote drop moose and bear hunts the past 10 years...every year.

Both have served me well for my intended purposes. The Staika has been a lifesaver in many hellacious and windy/rainy adventures that would have likely flattened the Mountain Star, and the Mountain Star has been a wonderfully lite and useful shelter for the adventures that I chosen for it to be with me. I have no regrets for the hard earned money I spent for either shelter.

They are both still going strong, and the Staika will be with me next month for 10-days dropped in the middle of nowhere. I also have a 4-man tipi from SO that has been a great addition as a day shelter for the past half-dozen years.

OP...I'm 5'10, so I appreciate your concern regarding the length of the Mountain Star. It works for me, and I have not noticed any condensation run down at the base of my sleeping bag given that the inner tent is mesh on the top. That said, the outer-rainfly does not come all the way down to the ground, which is a reality. A 4-seasons tent is different, but I've not had a problem with the Mountain Star even with an inch of snow on the tent.

IMG_1752.JPGIMG_6598 copy.jpeg

Blandry

WKR
I've been using a Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2P for the past 3 years and was thinking about swapping it for a KUIU Storm Star but after sitting in the stormstar there is NO WAY haha. I'll just buy another SG Skyscraper when/if this one dies.

OP
T
Thanks all. Some good points to consider. I am used to my Kodiak Canvas 10x14 tent. lol. That thing is pure luxury. I would hate to be rained in for days on end in a Mountainstar. Too tight for me. The reason for the Mountainstar or similar tent is to round out my tent options for when I need to fly to a hunt. This year I am flying commercial to two of my hunts due to time constraints and my gear needs to fit in my suitcase. No way I am paying to fly out with my canvas tent! I have recently been toying with idea of an Argali Rincon or Absaroka tent and stove too. Looks like a nice option with the added benefit of heat for late season hunts.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same Kodiak tent, when space is a premium I take my REI Base Camp 6. It is much smaller and lighter and still has plenty of room inside to stand and have cots.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m 6’1 and 220#

Absolutely love my Durston Xmid-1. Double door/vestibule is excellent, use one for personable, the other for rifle/pack. Nest is perfect for 25” pad and angled cut allows to store boots at feet and pants/shirt above my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk