Tent or tipi?

chrislane

FNG
Who used what and why? Pros and Cons of each vs the other? Purchasing soon and don't have a clue what I want.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
you will get a lot of different opinions and experiences here. i used to use a floored tent. over the years i had several styles of tents with floors. usually larger 5 or 6 man styles.

after a snow storm in the mountains that had us mopping up water constantly from the floor i switched to a tipi. the moment that was the defining moment was during that snow storm when i punched a hole in the floor with my knife to drain the water. i have several tipis now. the floored tents have been packed up for over 15 years.

reaper

WKR
you will get a lot of different opinions and experiences here. i used to use a floored tent. over the years i had several styles of tents with floors. usually larger 5 or 6 man styles.

after a snow storm in the mountains that had us mopping up water constantly from the floor i switched to a tipi. the moment that was the defining moment was during that snow storm when i punched a hole in the floor with my knife to drain the water. i have several tipis now. the floored tents have been packed up for over 15 years.

AMEN!!
floorless all the way.Tipi or other shelter like tarps ect...no floor and if you are in a place where you have a lot of high winds,the shape of tipis are hard to beat.

Floorless tipi or modified tipi design is my preference. I can think of a few hunts where a conventional floored tent would be preferable or maybe even necessary. If you are constantly pitching and striking camp (as in every day) the wrong shelter will have you spending too much time setting it up. I likely wouldn't choose a floorless shelter using more than 4 stakes on any hunt requiring frequent moves. My 8-man tipi has something like 16 or more stakes and that is just too many to mess with frequently. It's my base camp unit. Since I don't hunt with my camp on my back, I really have no need for a super tiny or ultra-ultra-lite shelter. There is certainly a learning curve to camping and hunting with a floorless rig, but experience is a good teacher. Keeping clean is not as hard as you might think, though perhaps not as clean (in some settings) as a floored tent. I don't ever say "you should buy this style shelter" as that's a personal choice. It really comes down to where and how you'll be using a shelter along with your personal abilities and preferences. Most of us have found that one shelter isn't enough, or won't cover all situations and we own multiple rigs....floored and floorless. Neither is absolutely better, though you might like one better. Enjoy the search.

OP
C

chrislane

FNG
I really like the idea of a stove for a true 4 season tent. I'm really leaning hard towards that.

OP
C

chrislane

FNG
My other factor leaning me towards a tipi is during regular camping my dogs will go too.

It is fun to play with and try and figure out gear. We made the jump last year to floorless. Picked up a stove too. Haven't really needed the stove, but sure will be nice if we ever get out on a late season rifle hunt. I've really only got 2 nights in it so far. One thing you kind of have to figure out is the condensation thing. I didn't vent it very well the first night and it was pretty bad, better the 2nd night. Had the stove set up, so fired it up the 2nd morning and it burned it right off. Our tipi has perimeter netting so just had to hike a corner up a bit. Should have it dialed in by fall.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Ultra light dual walled tent with a floor and footprint. Big Agnes fly creek 2 with foot print is compact and right at 2-2.5lbs. No condensation, no dirt in my sleeping bag or dirt in my gear and the ground is dry.. I've sat in my seedhouse through some major rain storms and never had to wipe up water or cut holes in my tent to drain water. No holes, a quality dual wall tent=no water.

I like tipi's if your going in to stove county or don't have any ground bugs/ants. All depends what your doing and where.

7stw

WKR
Really depends on where and how often you'll use it. I have a tarp and a conventional tent. Around here (oklahoma) where bugs and poisonous snakes are common I prefer a floored tent. Have a couple my favorite is a big Agnes copper spur 3 my dog has spent many nights in there with me and no issues on the tent floor. (I do only take a closed cell sleeping pad though) they both offer advantages IMHO so buy both lol. I'm actually about to buy a larger floor less with a stove for late season hunts.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Really depends on where and how often you'll use it. I have a tarp and a conventional tent. Around here (oklahoma) where bugs and poisonous snakes are common I prefer a floored tent. Have a couple my favorite is a big Agnes copper spur 3 my dog has spent many nights in there with me and no issues on the tent floor. (I do only take a closed cell sleeping pad though) they both offer advantages IMHO so buy both lol. I'm actually about to buy a larger floor less with a stove for late season hunts.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

That tent is on my list for this part of the country and lower elevations(for bugs and snakes)....almost bought it instead of the tipi. Really liked it.

Shrek

WKR
Floorless ! If you are really worried about bugs and snakes then add a nest with a tub floor. The ability to use a stove is priceless imo , I've never had a problem with water with a well chosen camp spot. More room for the weight with a floorless tipi also. I've never had any trouble keeping my very expensive WM bag clean but I'm sure that if I set my Sawtooth up over a wallow or something I could get it dirty. I've spilled coffee with cream and sugar in my Sawtooth and I simply put a little dirt and grass over the spot where it soaked into the ground and all was well. I heated that coffee from my sleeping bag which is something else you can't do in a floored tent. Sooo many positives with a tipi.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Most of the time floorless is superior for my uses. However there are still times when I feel a floored tent has its uses and is the better option. Really depends on what you mainly plan to use it for and the climate and such.

But I prefer a floorless for the space and weight when I can use it. I rarely use a stove in mine but when I do bring it along it is a nice luxury but rarely a necessity. ;)

Yep, just depends on the forecast and weight goals.
And terrain. Sometimes you can pitch a free standing tent where you can't drive stakes for a tipi.
Hunt'nFish

mrgreen

WKR
Anyone have any experience or opinion on Hyperlite MG ultamid??

I just picked one (Ultamid 2) up about a week ago. I've set it up a couple of times for practice. Goes up quick, very well made, plenty of room, weighs nothing..., well by that I mean just under 2Lbs with HMG cuben floor, lines, stakes and a carbon pole I already had (Seekoutside, I think). It held up fine during a very windy night, wind blew my hammock and stand over, but the Mid was fine. I know that's not scientific, but I was happy.

I'm hoping to get out next week, after Mothers Day! I'll try to get some pics, but it's trout and turkey season around here, so I might get distracted.

*The one thing I should note; it packs up kind of bulky. Gives a beachball-like impression in the included stuff sack. I don't know if it would compress more if it were folded rather then stuffed. It's my first experience with cuben fiber, maybe some one else can weigh in.

Last edited: