Tent choices

I get a lot of condensation in both my Tarptents if I don't vent them well, especially with 2 of us in the double rainbow.

Are you removing the nest? If not and you are getting wet inside the nest then your pitch is wrong. I experienced this the first time I put my SS2 up and failed to adequately separate the nest wall from the tent wall. Pitched taught, no condensation issues within the nest/bathtub. Ventilation is important as well so I don't completely anchor my tent to ground level...I bit of space at the bottom makes a big difference (in addition to regular venting).

Got it this year, spent 18 nights in it so far including rainy weather. A call to the owner quickly resolved my problem, nice guy.

Last edited:
OP
R

Redmist

FNG
That's great. The price is so hard to pass up. The 200 I would save over MSR and do BA could buy me my sleeping bag

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
I will be back packing just with goats carrying most of the weight. The 15# weight on the 6p is a little much. But good looking tent otherwise.

Agreed, Limestone 6P is not a pack in tent unless you have llamas or horses. I intend it to be used where I park the truck. I mentioned it to bring to light that I had found out great things about that Limestone line of tents. Didn't mean to confuse.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
Agreed, Limestone 6P is not a pack in tent unless you have llamas or horses. I intend it to be used where I park the truck. I mentioned it to bring to light that I had found out great things about that Limestone line of tents. Didn't mean to confuse.

No worries. I looked at several Marmot tents and liked them. When I add to my pack string I might take up a good portion on one goats pack ability on a heavier tent.

That's great. The price is so hard to pass up. The 200 I would save over MSR and do BA could buy me my sleeping bag

If you want a tent you can rely on, use in a variety of situations, tarptent is ideal. My buddy managed to over stress a zipper (he didn't know I had adjusted a couple of stakes) and tarptent didn't bat an eye, they repaired in free and got it back to me in days. Henry runs a great company.

Muley how do you go about venting yours?

There is space between the tent walls and the flooring. I have to pitch it to make sure air can vent through that space like Bruce mentioned. There is also a mesh liner making the tent bug proof. I will sometimes leave the opening zipped down on the tent wall and just zip up the mesh to keep bugs out. The vents on the top of the tent just don't allow enough air flow. That doesn't work in bad weather though when you need the tent zipped up.

Bruce, I don't have the nest in my Double Rainbow.

This said I still love the tent, it is a great shelter for most situations and I would buy it again.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
snowed on in nz.jpgI just used a Double Rainbow in NZ, we got worse weather than we were expecting, gale force winds and a foot of snow, think I have some minor frostbite in my feet. We got back to camp just as the winds picked up and i witnessed my tent being blown flat, thought it was done, I grabbed the pole and pulled and it stood back up, got in and set up my trekking poles in the grommets and it held up great. When the wind backed off 4 hrs later i had to re-stake some lines and I noticed my tent wasn't a perfect rainbow anymore, a few sections of poles had bent. I attached a couple extra lines to tabs on the pole on each end and with the trekking pole option never had problems again, we got a foot of snow the next couple days and it held up great. I also had condensation problems but I had mine pitched low and snow had covered all the edges which I kinda liked as it kept the cold wind from getting under the edges.
The only problem I had was the grommets that hold the pole tips came off a few times when the tent was flapping causing a pole tip to go through the tent, I wish they had a better pocket for that purpose. The tent poles bending doesn't bother me as I think they were pushed beyond there limits as this is more of a three season tent, next time ill just add the extra lines if I expect wind. All in all I think its a great tent and I may pick up one of the one mans in the future.
This was actually my first real mountain camping type hunt and what an experience, honestly kinda freaked me out but happy I experienced it, learned a lot and know a lot of what to expect in the future.

Attachments

• my tent.jpg
    my tent.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
That's why I went with the SS2, no poles except for the two trekking poles. Once you get everything square and adjust the trekking poles to get the tent as taught as possible, the thing becomes rock solid, no flapping, no flipping, and it is quite spacious inside even with both vestibules rolled up.

Last edited:

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a nice setup, ive been looking at his one mans but my concern with the poles are what if you use them during the day like we were in NZ? Do you just drop the tent and leave it staked?

That's why I went with the SS2, no poles except for the two trekking poles. Once you get everything square and adjust the trekking poles to get the tent as taught as possible, the thing becomes rock solid, no flapping, no flipping, and it is quite spacious inside even with both vestibules rolled up.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
Wow that looks impressive. Thanks for posting. I am liking the hog back option more and more.

Vandal 44

WKR
I had the Tarp Tent Squall 2 and in cold weather or when it was raining I would get a lot of condensation build up in the tent. The Squall did great in warm weather when I would leave a door open.

I tried several different ways to pitch the Squall with no luck. That is the only complaint that I have with the tent. Tarp Tents are strong, very lite for there size and they do well in strong winds.

whitingja

WKR
I second the tarp tent stratosphere 2. Love this tent. When set up properly, the condensation doesn't touch you. Roomy, very stable, light.

Looks like a nice setup, ive been looking at his one mans but my concern with the poles are what if you use them during the day like we were in NZ? Do you just drop the tent and leave it staked?

I got the optional collapsible poles for trips requiring my trekking poles...holds it up okay but it is more secure with the trekking poles.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
I wish some guys out there used the hogback. It probably to big at a 4 person tent for most backpackers. I wonder if condensation would be better or worse in hogback

I wish some guys out there used the hogback. It probably to big at a 4 person tent for most backpackers. I wonder if condensation would be better or worse in hogback

Without a stove condensation is a given in any tent but isn't a concern in two-walled models.

Last edited: