Tensor Extreme or Ether light XT extreme

mtnwrunner(Trandy)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I have and still have the ether light xt extreme.
It's comfortable and the specs are great.
Here comes the "however"..........
I've had several pin hole leaks which have been difficult to detect. Fixed several and still goes flat by morning.
I'm hard on pads anyway but I would not buy this one again.

Randy

b2one

WKR
I picked up the Tensor extreme this winter and have used it several times, coldest night was in the single digits. I was using the Tensor alpine (which I still have) before that and have been very happy with both.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I have and still have the ether light xt extreme.
It's comfortable and the specs are great.
Here comes the "however"..........
I've had several pin hole leaks which have been difficult to detect. Fixed several and still goes flat by morning.
I'm hard on pads anyway but I would not buy this one again.

Randy
Randy what would go with next for a lightweight High R value pad?

mtnwrunner(Trandy)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Well, the issue I seem to always have is lightweight versus durability. I'm a very warm sleeper so R value isn't super critical to me.
I don't think you can go wrong with the xtherm or the xlite although I've had them both fail. I have not slept on any of the nemos and zen bivy just came out with one that looks interesting.
I'll pay a weight penalty for durability.
I just went on a pack trip last week and was trying out the thermarest topo luxe. Very comfortable and it's "supposed" to be durable albeit somewhat heavy.
I've tried a variety of thermarests, big agnes, klymit, mountain hardware, sea to summit, etc. Never tried out an exped.
Several backpacking you tubers do fairly extensive reviews on pads if you've got some time.

Randy

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Hta
Well, the issue I seem to always have is lightweight versus durability. I'm a very warm sleeper so R value isn't super critical to me.
I don't think you can go wrong with the xtherm or the xlite although I've had them both fail. I have not slept on any of the nemos and zen bivy just came out with one that looks interesting.
I'll pay a weight penalty for durability.
I just went on a pack trip last week and was trying out the thermarest topo luxe. Very comfortable and it's "supposed" to be durable albeit somewhat heavy.
I've tried a variety of thermarests, big agnes, klymit, mountain hardware, sea to summit, etc. Never tried out an exped.
Several backpacking you tubers do fairly extensive reviews on pads if you've got some time.

Randy

That zen bivy is interesting if only they had big guy size in stock.

Tx_300wsm

FNG
I’ve slept a few nights on the ether light xt extreme. I paired it with an el coyote 10* quilt and was comfortable into the low teens last year. It’s much more comfortable for side sleeping than my thermarest was. Haven’t used it enough yet to experience any durability issues.