Tension release for hunting Elk

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so I know this kind of question has been beaten to death but I’m still curious. I see a ton of deer hunters chime in saying they use BT releases but what about you elk hunters. I have acquired quite a few hand held releases to find what feels the best to me. Right now my favorite is the silverback but I still have to put more time in with the others. I would rather pick a release and stick with it instead of changing like many have mentioned in other posts. I guess my only worry is a small shooting window when going off on command may be beneficial. Why not just put more pressure on the back wall before letting off the barrel so it immediately goes off. Just curious what everyone thinks.

Assume you are talking a hinge as most releases can be fired with back tension. I plan to hunt with a thumb this fall for the first time, but trust me, you can command a hinge. Ask how I know...lol. That said, you'd better be really comfortable. I wouldn't do it but people do.

I killed a bull a few years ago with a silverback release, only after losing my nock 2 it a couple days before. I was not in a great position to use back tension and everything happened fast, so when i let off the safety the bow went off. I knew this was likely and had the pin where i wanted it, but for me that release isnt a great option for hunting.

I train with it in the summer and use a thumb button when hunting(unless i lose it on the mountain).

JasonWi

WKR
I’ve only used a True Ball sweet spot II since 2005. I like being able to put the safety back on while the animal is moving, or behind brush …then start the process over again.

It’s never cost me an animal and has allowed me to make some great shots when my brain was saying “now,now,now” knowing I had to trust the process and keep adding pressure

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Assume you are talking a hinge as most releases can be fired with back tension. I plan to hunt with a thumb this fall for the first time, but trust me, you can command a hinge. Ask how I know...lol. That said, you'd better be really comfortable. I wouldn't do it but people do.
I’m leaning towards the nock on silverback but I also have a carter attraction 3 finger. I also have a 4 finger 1st choice but I would definitely have to get a smaller barrel if I keep it.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a bull a few years ago with a silverback release, only after losing my nock 2 it a couple days before. I was not in a great position to use back tension and everything happened fast, so when i let off the safety the bow went off. I knew this was likely and had the pin where i wanted it, but for me that release isnt a great option for hunting.

I train with it in the summer and use a thumb button when hunting(unless i lose it on the mountain).
I may sell off my other releases and pick up a nock 2 it to go with the silverback.

fatlander

WKR
Elevate your heart rate, jack up your adrenaline, and shoot down hill. That’s elk hunting. That silver back is going off way quicker than expected, maybe as soon as you let off the safety.

Your broadheads very well may not tune in the above situation. Shoot a hinge or a button. Pure tension releases just aren’t for hunting. I hunt with a UV Hinge 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Elevate your heart rate, jack up your adrenaline, and shoot down hill. That’s elk hunting. That silver back is going off way quicker than expected, maybe as soon as you let off the safety.

Your broadheads very well may not tune in the above situation. Shoot a hinge or a button. Pure tension releases just aren’t for hunting. I hunt with a UV Hinge 2

Good points, I may just have to pick up a nock 2 it

Zac

WKR
I have had pretty awful experiences with a tension release hunting as well. Impossible to get the tension correct for hunting situations. Although almost everything I have killed has been with a hinge.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I have had pretty awful experiences with a tension release hunting as well. Impossible to get the tension correct for hunting situations. Although almost everything I have killed has been with a hinge.
Thanks, I guess I’ll have to get a thumb button or hinge. What hinge are you using

Zac

WKR
Thanks, I guess I’ll have to get a thumb button or hinge. What hinge are you using
That list is too long to even talk about. I’m actually using a thumb button now because the walls on the new bows are so solid. I felt like the Defiant I started with was perfect for a hinge. However now I don’t feel like pulling gets you the most consistent shot. If you shoot a relaxed shot with a hinge it can work. I have always been an aggressive puller though. Now I just try to set my let off really low so that I have a lot of back tension in a static position. I try to squeeze on the thumb, I don’t do any extra pulling. The accuracy is much better with this technique, however it is mentally much more challenging.

nphunter

WKR
If I were going to shoot with a hinge it would be a sweet spot, both of my boys hunt with sweet spots and they helped them with their shooting. For me I wouldn't want to hunt with one, I do really like my thumb button because I can execute with back tension on longer shots and on close shots in thick cover I can punch them easily and get a good shot off. I've shot several animals under 15 yards and those shots I feel like a hinge could have potentially cost me an animal. Everytime I have got target panic while using a hinge and yanked on it the arrow hit's no where near the mark. When punching my thumb button my arrow is still very close to center, especially at close distances.

fatlander

WKR
If I were going to shoot with a hinge it would be a sweet spot, both of my boys hunt with sweet spots and they helped them with their shooting. For me I wouldn't want to hunt with one, I do really like my thumb button because I can execute with back tension on longer shots and on close shots in thick cover I can punch them easily and get a good shot off. I've shot several animals under 15 yards and those shots I feel like a hinge could have potentially cost me an animal. Everytime I have got target panic while using a hinge and yanked on it the arrow hit's no where near the mark. When punching my thumb button my arrow is still very close to center, especially at close distances.

If you’re punching the hinge, you’ve still got target panic. I hunt with my hinge no click and really, really hot. I think a colder hinge with a click would cost you a few animals over time, but I can get shots off as quick as anyone should.

There’s never going to always be perfect shot opportunities in hunting, but you’ve got to accept that executing perfect shots no matter where the arrow ends up is more important than executing bad shots no matter where the arrow ends up. That’s the only way to beat target panic.

All releases can be used as a BT release. Just have to train yourself to not "pull" the trigger. I specifically switched to the Stan Onnex for this reason as I was starting to punch the trigger on my old one. I adjusted the button in a such a way that it sits in the very bottom crease of my thumb next to the pad. I then can put my thumb tip on top of my index fingernail. While you can punch it still, it's not nearly as easy and kind of counter intuitive. Now I just begin to apply backward tension with my shoulder and the fatty part of my hand grabs at some point and the release fires. Groups have tighted back up.

Reactions: Zac
A very common scenario in my world hunting elk is a bull busting through the salmonberry at sub 15yds frontal or almost frontal… there is no way I would shoot a release that I couldn’t command shoot accurately under pressure

For me, command shooting a tension release is ugly, and assume would be really ugly in a rushed scenario as laid out above

nphunter

WKR
If you’re punching the hinge, you’ve still got target panic. I hunt with my hinge no click and really, really hot. I think a colder hinge with a click would cost you a few animals over time, but I can get shots off as quick as anyone should.

There’s never going to always be perfect shot opportunities in hunting, but you’ve got to accept that executing perfect shots no matter where the arrow ends up is more important than executing bad shots no matter where the arrow ends up. That’s the only way to beat target panic.

I normally don’t suffer from target panic with a hinge but have flenched and pulled a few times over the years. I enjoy shooting my hinges and it makes me shoot my thumb triggers better without rushing shots. For me though like Rosey mentioned, I hunt elk in think cover and want to be able to get a shot off instantly sometimes, for that reason I prefer something I can easily punch. I also hunt steep nasty terrain and have take several kneeling or weird angled shots that my body mechanics wouldn’t have worked well with a hinge. The sweet spot would be an exception since they are set at whatever angle you release the safety. But for me personally I don’t feel a need, I shoot very well when shooting at animals and typically make calm, clean, controlled shots. My kids get wound up and punch horribly which is why I have them using hinges.

I just practice with a silver back for the back tension aspect. I hunt with a scott long horn micro pro. The silver back did not work for hunting for me as I pull the bow back like a mad man and it goes off as soon as I let off the safety. I set the scott very cold so I have to keep pulling through my shot and settle in. Never have had that release go off when drawing or too soon.

I’ve hunted with a hinge and may again. I’d discourage people from doing so unless you shoot your bow a lot and use the hinge a lot. The dynamics of a hunting shot combined with manipulating a hinge can be problematic imho. I don’t typically shoot a thumb button but do for hunting. Easier to shoot up/downhill easier to let down move with etc. I shoot my hinge better and use it a lot in indoor leagues and outdoor tournaments and 3D shoots but prefer a button for hunting. My 2 cents.