Technique for rifles that kick?

T28w

WKR
My only point is that folks CAN manage recoil and spot shots with boomers if they practice.
I don’t think anyone ever disputes this fact. You obviously shoot often and can do it very well. My thing is take everyone who has a hunting style rifle, let’s just say in the 8ish lbs range, in a high recoil cartridge, what percentage could lay $1,000 on the table and put 10 shot on a 2” target. My bet is very very few. Maybe 10% ....maybe. I feel this is sndmn feeling as well

OP
J

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
I would set a goal, establish a baseline, and work towards getting better.

In the context of this discussion, the OP is actively looking for ways to improve with the gear that he has. It's doable if he wants to put in the work (like he's suggested that he wants to).

TK, yes, that's what I'm after, and thank you for your help.

I don't expect to shoot this rifle as well as my smaller rifles. But I need to get consistency tuned up a notch or two, compared to where I'm currently at with it.

I started to suspect the inconsistency was in me, even though I thought I was making solid shots, and not something mechanical with the rifle or loads. It's not always easy to tell.

I'll be focusing on recoil management, and see how it goes. Thanks all.

sndmn11

WKR
TK, yes, that's what I'm after, and thank you for your help.

I don't expect to shoot this rifle as well as my smaller rifles. But I need to get consistency tuned up a notch or two, compared to where I'm currently at with it.

I started to suspect the inconsistency was in me, even though I thought I was making solid shots, and not something mechanical with the rifle or loads. It's not always easy to tell.

I'll be focusing on recoil management, and see how it goes. Thanks all.
My point was that there is no reason to not have a lot of confidence going into the season with sub 2" 8 shot groups.

I
My best suggestion, and my regular gun is a 300 Weatherby Magnum, is limit the number of shots you shoot with the heavy magnum. It’s hard to get rid of a flinch. So, it’s better not to get it going.

Assuming you can still reach the trigger, there are a lot of good slipon recoil pads. Brakes are fine, but increase the noise and with a 300 Weatherby that’s pretty loud without a brake.
It barks for sure. Precision Armamament brake, it hardly kicks now.

Honyock

WKR
Start with a limbsaver pad they definitely help. I run a limbsaver pad on a lightweight 300 wsm and it makes the recoil manageable. Also adding a Silencerco Harvester which will drop recoil as well.