Technique for rifles that kick?

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, got a question about technique required to shoot sporter weight rifles that kick. I’ve been trying to figure out a 270 weatherby, 8 lbs all up. It kicks much more than what I shoot most, usually 243s and 22-250s.

I’m making good clean trigger pulls, and have good sight pictures when the shots breaks. But the gun just hasn’t been very consistent, sometimes putting 7-8 shots into an inch, and then sometimes more like 2 inches.

I always hold the rifle with both hands even while on sandbags, never let it free recoil. But I tried pulling it tighter than usual to my shoulder and controlling the recoil more and was having better success.

Wondering now if my better groups were the times when I snugged tighter, and worse groups when I was focused too much on the trigger pull and relaxed.

Is that a typical situation with rifles that kick?

SouthPaw

WKR
A 270 bee at 8 pounds is going to be super critical of shooting form, no way around it. Recoil management can be fairly on point and most would still struggle to shoot that level of horsepower consistently.

What loads? Is it braked? What stock design? Scope issues possible? That's where I'd start.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jimh406

WKR
My best suggestion, and my regular gun is a 300 Weatherby Magnum, is limit the number of shots you shoot with the heavy magnum. It’s hard to get rid of a flinch. So, it’s better not to get it going.

Assuming you can still reach the trigger, there are a lot of good slipon recoil pads. Brakes are fine, but increase the noise and with a 300 Weatherby that’s pretty loud without a brake.

OP
J

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
A 270 bee at 8 pounds is going to be super critical of shooting form, no way around it. Recoil management can be fairly on point and most would still struggle to shoot that level of horsepower consistently.

What loads? Is it braked? What stock design? Scope issues possible? That's where I'd start.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I’m shooting 140 tipped gamekings and 73 grains IMR 7977. No brake. Remington 700 sporter barrel, grayboe lightweight outlander stock, and a 10x SWFA scope. I swapped to a proven scope and put a cluster of shots together, then back to the 10x and did another cluster. I suspect I was controlling recoil that session.

Sounds like your rifle is pretty accurate. Maybe slip in a dry fire or two if your gun can tolerate it and see if you are anticipating the recoil.
Best option is to have a buddy "load" for you at a range session. We did this to a buddy that swore his rifle just wouldn't shoot accurately. Also as said by others a good recoil bad can really make a difference.

Recoil is cumulative.
I consider my first cold-bore shot to be the most indicative of actual accuracy and shooting technique.
This isn't a range rifle as you describe it.
When shooting my Tikka 300WSM, I drape a sandbag over my shoulder and pull the stock into it...That firm connection between your shoulder and the stock is important for repeatability.

SDHNTR

WKR
Get a Past shoulder pad. Install a muzzle brake of your liking. Put a mercury rod in the buttstock. Add overall weight (heavier scopes and stock packs help). Swap to different stock that is heavier/better designed for managing recoil.

I can’t help myself….

MAN UP!!!

Seriously tho, if a 270 is beating you up that bad the stock probably isn’t fitting you like it should. Either change the way you shoot, change stocks, or change rifles. You might find some reduced recoil loads, but good luck in this market

Something else that you’ve mentioned is you’re getting 7-8 shots in an inch and then 2”. So are you getting 2” groups after the barrel is hot or are you getting good groups one time at the range and the next time you’re crappy groups. First scenario is common when you go from a cold bore to a warm bore to a hot bore. Couple things that help would be to make sure that it’s free floated and I’d also look at the bedding. The second scenario is changes in how you’re looking thru your scope. I’d also guess parallax could be giving you fits. But your sighting process isn’t being repeated. Just a few things to consider

Here’s my take.

1) Swap over to a Limbsaver recoil pad.
2) Limit your number of consecutive shots. Shoot a gentle cartridge (ex: 22 or 223) for the bulk of your range visits with a few from your 270 Weatherby mixed in from time to time.
3) Focus on making that first shot count. It’s the most important shot you take. If you’re taking 8+ shots on an animal you have bigger issues.
4) Take a 1:1 shooting class. Instructor can provide guidance and instant correction on the spot.
5) Don’t fight the recoil. Accept it and embrace it.
6) Don’t fear the gun. If a person feels the need to “death grip” their firearm, they need a serious downgrade.