TC Triumph and Blackhorn 209-what Primer?

BCD

WKR
What primer would one suggest here and is the standard breech plug sufficient or do I need to update it?

Thank You!!

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always used CCI 209M’s with the Triumph and Blackhorn 209 (and when I used to use Triple 7 pellets).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BCD
Mag primers are recommended with Bh209 - Fed 209A or CCI 209M. But….most standard power 209s will probably work fine.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Any will work. If you can get both standard and magnum and plan to do a lot of shooting, I would get both and test. It is possible that with the same powder load that changing between primers will change your point of impact. Loose powder vs pellets as well. If you want one or the other, opt for magnums as I would assume that makes you more comfortable. Whatever you do, only change one variable at a time.

WCB

WKR
Same set up I use Fed 209A CCI 209M and have used Winchester primes. never had an issue. Current set up is BH209 Fed 209A and Federal Fusion MZ bullet

I have had a few "hang fires" using standard 209's. I usually just use them now to sweep the barrel after doing a range clean between group shots.

I have been using some Winchester primers from years back and have switched back and forth with them and Fed 209A's with no noticeable difference in POI at 150 yds.

I’ve been using the cci muzz primers and I’ve had 1 hang fire and the breech area on my triumph is extremely sooty. I’m using bh 209 and Thor universal 300 gr. I’ve always used tc shockwaves until this year with zero issues. I’m glad this was posted as I need to look for a different ignition source. Thanks

ENCORE

WKR
With the TC's, and while shooting BH, make sure you keep the carbon cleaned of the breech plug flash channel. A 1/8" drill bit............. turned by hand ......... will chip out the carbon. Cleaners will not remove the carbon buildup.

1724776316810.jpeg

I’m using bh 209 and Thor universal 300 gr. I’ve always used tc shockwaves until this year with zero issues. I’m glad this was posted as I need to look for a different ignition source.
The primer is unlikely to be your issue (unless you’re using a muzzy 209 and not drilling the carbon out of your flash channel). Sabots (tight fitting) are recommended with Bh209. Your conical may not be sealing the bore efficiently. A sub base would likely solve that with your Thors.

Last edited:

Kurts86

WKR
Keeping the breech plug clear and spotless is a big deal on the T/C’s running blackhorn 209. As mentioned you need to come in with a drill bit for the flash channel and a welding tip cleaner for the flash hole.