taxidermy bills

MNGrouser

FNG
I think I'm probably stuck with skull caps going forward. The first problem I have is MN doesn't let me bring heads with any brain/spinal material attached (CWD) home. Plus, I don't have the space for full shoulder mounts in my home or office anymore. My last big mule deer was a shoulder mount that I caped myself and used "a guy" my dad knew. I will forever regret letting that bargain taxidermist ruin my buck. It was a great hunt, awesome (for me) shot and largest mulie to date. I got what I paid for. Without a local connection out-of-state to do the Euros for me, as I said, I'm stuck sawing skull plates off.

def90

WKR
I think I'm probably stuck with skull caps going forward. The first problem I have is MN doesn't let me bring heads with any brain/spinal material attached (CWD) home. Plus, I don't have the space for full shoulder mounts in my home or office anymore. My last big mule deer was a shoulder mount that I caped myself and used "a guy" my dad knew. I will forever regret letting that bargain taxidermist ruin my buck. It was a great hunt, awesome (for me) shot and largest mulie to date. I got what I paid for. Without a local connection out-of-state to do the Euros for me, as I said, I'm stuck sawing skull plates off.

Just have to boil the skull out in camp

Hnthrdr

WKR
Getting a bull done for 1100 with one detachable antler, never thought I’d do a shoulder mount, but also didn’t think I’d tag a 350 bull otc, 1000 seems reasonable for a bull elk to me. Can’t say I’ll do another one, unless it’s reallly a dandy

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Yet another great Rokslide thread!

This kind of ties into the South Africa thread. I had a handful of African shoulder mounts and after downsizing and looking at them for 20+ years, I sold most of them on Craigslist. I made a few bucks and cleared some space.

I do Euros myself on all deer and elk. They take up so much less space and of course cost nothing.

I finally got my bucket list Cape Buffalo last year and sold the cape to the taxidermist to offset the costs. I love my Euro mount and it STILL cost WAY too much for the crate and shipping!

Another thing I really like is having the picture on a canvas print, which is easily done and not that spendy.IMG_20230321_073311915.jpgIMG_20230321_073319368.jpg

WCB

WKR
I bring skulls back all the time. If you drive out of state just bring a cheap burner, pot, and 20lb propane tank. It takes maybe 2hrs from start to finished enough to bring them back. If you learn to break out the ear bones it opens up a large hole on each side of the skull plus the spinal column hole. Access to a hose or a self serve car wash helps but not needed. I've done a couple dozen while out of state. Minor inconvenience but I can not stand skill cap antlers of any decent animal and I don't shoot dinks out of state so.

Felix40

WKR
I threw away a nice bear hide this year. I just couldn’t justify a little over $400 to get it tanned.

j_volt

WKR
I tried to save $$$ on an antelope and WT shoulder mount once. The guy ended up missing his stated deadline and upon asking him why, he told me he had been in jail due to being charged with SA of a child. Sometimes you get what you pay for...

With the cost of an elk should mount ($1600 last time I paid), I am almost 100% euro now. Paying that much for décor keeps me from doing stuff I like (such as more hunting trips).

DanimalW

WKR
I make a photo book for the kids every year (they’re young still). So I print hard copies of good hunting and fishing photos when I do that, then I put them into an old school photo album. The kids enjoy paging through it and asking questions.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
After fleshing and doing all the prep work…right?
Correct. I sent mine with my brother since he had all the tools from trapping/skinning and he got it prepped to send in. Didn’t have much fat on it but I’m sure the pads are some work. So yeah 400$ is probably close if you count the prep work.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one that thinks $900 seems like a deal? As a business owner I know about what it takes to produce a product.

Lets see, answer the phone and reply to multiple calls and emails about pricing, the process and other anal stuff.. 1-2 hours of your time. Receive the head and cape, client decides to talk your ears off for two hours, 2 more hours of time, spend time ordering foam forms, eyeballs and all the other shit you need. 1-2 hours of time. Package up the cape to go to the tanner and arrange everything that goes with it. 1 more hour, more if they actually do it themselves. Put the mount together, put the cape and antlers on and off again multiple times and make changes to the foam form until it's right. Who knows how many hours? Sew everything up, paint whatever needs to be touched up, get the fur laid out just right.. a couple more hours.. call client to let them know it's ready. A few minutes unless the guy talks your ears off again. Client picks up mount and talks for another two hours..

By this point you've got 20-25 hours in to the thing, subtract your shop costs like heating, electricity, water, accounting, insurance, the form, eyes, consumables and so on and that $900 is now down to $600.. divide that by the 20 or more hours and you've now made a whopping $30/hr.
I agree. I really dont care about the difference between $650-$950. I dont even ask the cost. My taxidermist knows I care about quality and charge me what it cost. I get that it’s not for everyone and not everyone wants to plaster the house with taxidermy. My house is taxidermy and I want my taxidermist to spend the extra time to do it right. I have a room that has all the demoted cheap taxidermy in it, it only took about 20 times before I learned this lesson. Just my preference.

WBrim

WKR
So far I have all euros. I would like to have done shoulder mounts done at some point, but that will have to be when money is a little less off a concern.
Good work is expensive, but bad work is not something I want to look at every day, let alone pay for.

Beendare

WKR
My buddy Robert that owns Capture the Hunt taxidermy out of Salt lake city says his input costs have gone up something like 20-25% since the beginning of Covid. He has kept his prices the same…I don’t know how.

The input costs in my construction business are up 20% plus in the same time frame…but we pass those on to the client. Inflation is a killer…hang on to your hat.

Geewhiz

WKR
Was quoted 1500 for a shoulder mount from the taxidermist that has my bull cape. I suspect it will be a bit more when I tell him I need to have at least one antler removable.