Tarptent SS1 vs Double rainbow

Serni02

FNG
Currently in the market for a 3 season tent for archery hunting in Colorado.
Looking for a single person tent that I could fit gear inside the tent/vestibule and maybe fit a helinox cot ( I think it's maybe 5 inches off the ground) and still have some room to sit up in. Im 5'9"

I've been looking at all of the tarptents and the ss1 and double rainbow caught my eye
Any input on these 2 tents would be great or any of the other tarptents that I might of overlooked

I wouldn’t want to put a cot in my DR. It may work but I think you would be cramped. It is a solid tent that I really like. Get the liner for CO to keep the condensation off you.

TBHasler

WKR
I have the stratospire I and really like it. Plenty big for single man tent and dual vestibules are each really roomy. Dual doors as well.

The height is not big, so sitting up on a cot would be tight for head clearance. I wouldn’t run a cot with the liner but might consider for floorless when running fly only.
It’s been bombproof in rain and high wind - I have no complaints.

OP
S

Serni02

FNG
I wouldn’t want to put a cot in my DR. It may work but I think you would be cramped. It is a solid tent that I really like. Get the liner for CO to keep the condensation off you.

Is the "porch mode" on the DR actually useful or is it more of a gimmick. I read a review saying outside of taking cool photos he didn't use it.

I have never set it up that way but it would help with ventilation if rain was possible as it would keep the rain out.

Is the "porch mode" on the DR actually useful or is it more of a gimmick. I read a review saying outside of taking cool photos he didn't use it.

Hey OP: I work for Tarptent. Just like what the above poster said, the DR porch mode is nice for rainy days when you want lots of ventilation.

Another use for porch mode is getting in and out of the shelter when it is raining; the "porch mode" flap extends over the floor edge to make sure that no water gets in. I think that's the original reason it was put in.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

OP
S

Serni02

FNG
Hey OP: I work for Tarptent. Just like what the above poster said, the DR porch mode is nice for rainy days when you want lots of ventilation.

Another use for porch mode is getting in and out of the shelter when it is raining; the "porch mode" flap extends over the floor edge to make sure that no water gets in. I think that's the original reason it was put in.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cool thank you for the insight

MF,

I am trying to decide between the Rainbow and Double Rainbow the rainbow is 24.4 sq.ft which is plenty big enough for one, but for another 5oz the DR is 30 sq.ft. But maybe the smaller footprint of the Rainbow would be better in for areas that are not very flat.

The DR is a really nice size for one to have some room and works for 2 people if needed. I considered the Rainbow too but for me the DR was better as my wife and I could use it. If I was always solo I probably would have went with the Rainbow. The DR does have the 2 vestibules and dual entry.