Tarptent Triple Rainbow

IDVortex

WKR
Well, unless my search didn't want to show it, I couldn't find any past threads on this tent. I'm curious if anyone has used this particular tent before? Trying to find a happy medium for myself and my wife to go backpacking with her, but still have a good back country tent. (If it wasn't for the wife, I'd be looking at a floor less hot tent.)

Well, unless my search didn't want to show it, I couldn't find any past threads on this tent. I'm curious if anyone has used this particular tent before? Trying to find a happy medium for myself and my wife to go backpacking with her, but still have a good back country tent. (If it wasn't for the wife, I'd be looking at a floor less hot tent.)
If you want a floorless hot tent but the wife wants a floor just get the tent you want and get the nest for when she goes. Save some weight and you have a tent that does double duty. I have a Redcliff and a 1/2 nest for this reason. She likes that if the weather is bad she can sit in a chair and read a book on the other side of the tent.

rcb2000

WKR
I have the Double Rainbow, nice shelter.
I will say it collects condensation like it is its job,, but you can mitigate that by keeping the doors in 'porch mode'.

I have the Double Rainbow, nice shelter.
I will say it collects condensation like it is its job,, but you can mitigate that by keeping the doors in 'porch mode'.
Which Double Rainbow? I think the make a single wall and double wall version. Triple Rainbow is a Double wall.

rcb2000

WKR
Which Double Rainbow? I think the make a single wall and double wall version. Triple Rainbow is a Double wall.
Mine is the single wall, I’d imagine the double would do much better obviously.
I did snag the condensation liner which helps keep it from dripping on you.

Rcb2000 is correct. I had a double rainbow and all it did was collect condensation. Everything was wet all the time. Sold it.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Why did you got with the Big Agnes vs the Tarptent?
Primary reason, bought it when Gohunt had them on-sale. And with it being a 3 person tent, I'm not terribly worried on condensation. Plus, what I've learned with old bivy sacks and smaller backpacking tents in the past, be wise on where you place a tent can help on condensation.

And reviews said they didn't collect condensation as badly, and still good bad weather reviews. I bought the Big Agnes copper Spur

Plus, the other reason I bought the big agnes is the size due to sharing it with my wife.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Big Agnes copper spur is a solid tent. My wife and i used one for years along with our two dogs. Not the lightest or fanciest but hard to argue the cost.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Big Agnes copper spur is a solid tent. My wife and i used one for years along with our two dogs. Not the lightest or fanciest but hard to argue the cost.
I had thought about getting the 2p tent, but this year is the first time my wife has ever gone backpacking,so trying to make it more comfortable for her. Besides, this tent is about 9-10 pounds lighter than the tent I use to pack 10ish years ago when I did a bunch of backpacking. 😂