Tarp Tent Comparison: Tear It Up!

Doing some research on light tarp tents and tossed together this comparison.

Let me know what I'm missing for contenders here and what you think if you've had experience with these options.

Ideally, these are light tarp tents for solo missions July-September and to keep it in my search and rescue kit year-round.

I couldn't find pitched dimensions on some of these, but if you have any experience with the old 9'x12' blue tarps, those flat dimensions should give you an idea on what it's like for size as a tent.

I stayed in the Granite Mountain with a buddy two Augusts back and thought it was friggin' sweet. That same September, we rode out a helluva snow storm in a Sawtooth for 3 nights and I was sold on the floorless shelters. Last fall, I ran the old blue tarp (which is why it's on the list) and it was so loud and flappy, I ended up just folding it up halfway through the first night and sleeping cowboy style out in the open after that.

I had a Super Tarp for a long time ,with the annex/ vestibule it was a claustrophobic sweat lodge(with the stove I was sweating ,without the stove condensation was really bad.So I only used it without the annex.You can set up a S.O. DST similarly and save a bunch of $$$

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a couple of Supertarps (one w/annex) and a Sheep Tarp. The Supertarp is just about the perfect single-man shelter for me.

The Sheep Tarp is great for glassing sunshade, quick rain shelter, etc. I keep it in my day pack. I imagine the DST would fill a similar role.

OP
Jaden Bales
I had a Super Tarp for a long time ,with the annex/ vestibule it was a claustrophobic sweat lodge(with the stove I was sweating ,without the stove condensation was really bad.So I only used it without the annex.You can set up a S.O. DST similarly and save a bunch of $$$

That's great info to have about the annex and the stove, because I was definitley considering it for late seasons.

I forgot to add the DST! I'll toss it on the list now.

Thanks man!

OP
Jaden Bales
I've got a couple of Supertarps (one w/annex) and a Sheep Tarp. The Supertarp is just about the perfect single-man shelter for me.

The Sheep Tarp is great for glassing sunshade, quick rain shelter, etc. I keep it in my day pack. I imagine the DST would fill a similar role.
I keep thinking that Supertarp would do it. I'm a small guy though (5'6") and have been wondering if I would really need a shelter that big for myself.

colersu22

WKR
I use a DST and I like it, there is a good thread somewhere here that shows multiple different pitches and is a good read.

OP
Jaden Bales
I'm 5'11", for reference. YMMV, past performance is not a guarantee of future results, yadda yadda.
Sweet man! Good to know!

Do you think you could fit a female companion and a dog in there? Asking for a friend. ;)

Looks like you have quite a few tarp options. I tend to differentiate between tarps and fully enclosed shelters.

In fully enclosed lightweight mid realm, I'd look at the offerings from Mountain Laurel Designs, HMG, and Locus Gear. For two-pole floorless designs, TT stratospire (fly only) and zpacks 'plex style options would get my attention.

OP
Jaden Bales
I use a DST and I like it, there is a good thread somewhere here that shows multiple different pitches and is a good read.
Oh hell yeah! I just found it. What a great reference for all flat cut tarps, but especially the DST.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would second putting a TarpTent Stratospire on there. Several of their shelters you can run fly only, or with interiors. Silnylon or DCF.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Jaden Bales
I would second putting a TarpTent Stratospire on there. Several of their shelters you can run fly only, or with interiors. Silnylon or DCF.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sweet! I'm on it.

Thanks for the rec.

Stoke_82

FNG
Silpoly will actual last longer. Slightly heavier but is also more wear resistant. You do have to watch for Sparks though. My luxe hexapeak has a few patches after being a little to close to the camp fire one trip.

OP
Jaden Bales
Silpoly will actual last longer. Slightly heavier but is also more wear resistant. You do have to watch for Sparks though. My luxe hexapeak has a few patches after being a little to close to the camp fire one trip.
I didn't know that! Solid info.

Between Silpoly, Pertex, Silnylon, Sil/Sil, there is a lot going on with different fabrics that I am catching on to, but definitely not completely savvy to.