Tarp on the go?

WRM

WKR
There are various types of fabric even within the cuben range. Go on Zpacks and Mountain Laurel Designs websites and read the info. Cuben is extremely expensive fabric and more difficult to work with. As I noted above, it also tends to be a bit more difficult to get a good pitch with cuben. After some back and forth with owners of both those companies, I determined I had no need for a cuben shelter. It is primarily a weight saving issue over silnylon--and that is coming directly from the owners of the companies. The UL backpacking crowd will pay those prices to shave a couple of pack ounces. If a few ounces of weight is worth a virtual doubling of price in some instances, then cuben may be for you. Otherwise, silnylon is fine for any use. My trailstar has kept me dry in a solid day of hard rain and stood up to storm winds of 40+ mph.

There are various types of fabric even within the cuben range. Go on Zpacks and Mountain Laurel Designs websites and read the info. Cuben is extremely expensive fabric and more difficult to work with. As I noted above, it also tends to be a bit more difficult to get a good pitch with cuben. After some back and forth with owners of both those companies, I determined I had no need for a cuben shelter. It is primarily a weight saving issue over silnylon--and that is coming directly from the owners of the companies. The UL backpacking crowd will pay those prices to shave a couple of pack ounces. If a few ounces of weight is worth a virtual doubling of price in some instances, then cuben may be for you. Otherwise, silnylon is fine for any use. My trailstar has kept me dry in a solid day of hard rain and stood up to storm winds of 40+ mph.

One other thing to note regarding cuben is, it doesn't stretch even when wet. If staked out good, even in a big storm with heavy winds and rain, it will not sag. It is also very strong material, doesn't require seam sealing, and the wt. savings can be substantial. I have a floor less CF Mid that is 85 sf, stands 6'3" tall and weighs a hair less than 21oz., you won't find the equivalent size in silnylon, that comes even close to that wt.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Don't even need to setup the paratarp if it's not windy, if I know it's going to get wet I can pull it out and throw it over me and my stuff. One of the reasons it sits in a pocket on the outside of my pack. Has worked great for sitting out an afternoon storm.

MattB

WKR
I got 10'x12' cuben tarp from Bearpaw. With stakes, guy lines and stuff sack it is right about a pound but will cover 2 guys and their gear.

WRM

WKR
I agree that cuben has virtually no stretch--which is one thing that makes it a bit harder to pitch. And, this lack of stretch likely is the reason for one of the drawbacks--it tends to wallow out seam holes from sewing over time. Since it is already a laborious process to sew this stuff, the fact it wants to "tear itself apart" is not particularly confidence inspiring to me. And, although it is "strong" it is not particularly durable (in the sense of abrasion resistant). Cuben was conceived for the high dollar sailing crowd. When a sail gets trashed, they replace it (probably without shedding a single tear). I don't want to have to plan to regularly replace my (very expensive) shelter.

Even in the worst storm I have been in, I only needed to adjust my lines once or maybe twice. And you can reach out under the edge of the tarp to do that (assuming you didn't cut those pesky linelocs off in the effort to save an ounce). Trailstar is a palace for 1 and will sleep two and gear. For me, the cost and minimal weight differences just did not justify cuben.

Again, the actual performance of the two fabrics is very similar--per the owners of two of the main cottage producers of shelters. It really comes down to whether you are willing to spend the extra money to get a cuben shelter. Aside from the weight (and maybe some 4 season snow situations where cuben would have an edge ), there just isn't a whole lot of difference in the field performance of the two--until the seams on your cuben get wallowed and you have leaks from the "unsealed" seams.

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
Personally I've never packed any, even for my hammock. I generally find a 'field expedient' solution. Either whittled sticks or tied out to a log/rock/stump.
I have 9' of 2½mm dynema cord tied into each corner of both my tarps & I generally have enough paracord with me as extra tie outs if needed.

WRM

WKR
Depends on what type ground I am expecting.

All around stake is generally a MSR Mini Groundhog (0.45 ozs). Very versatile and strong hold for a tarp sized shelter.

I also have some MSR Carbon Core and Zpacks carbon fiber. Super lightweight (they each come in at 0.20 ozs) and work fine in firm ground. Not quite as strong a hold as Groundhog, but pretty close.

Hard ground or super hard ground. I have some 9 inch burly titanium shepherd's style (antigravitygear carries), and they are burly, but light (0.65 ozs). You can penetrate some pretty difficult terrain with those. But the absolute king of hard ground is Snow Peak solid steel stakes. I have them in the 20 size for a tarp. I'm not sure what you couldn't drive them into--you are probably the limit there. They are pretty heavy (2.25 ozs). I take a small (hand size) harbor freight ball peen hammer with them. Once in, they are highly unlikely to go anywhere. If I am not sure what I will get for ground, I often will take these or at least a couple of them.

Really sandy, loose soil. MSR 9 inch Cyclone (1.10 ozs).

I just saw that Ruta Locura has some 9 inch carbon stakes. Interesting option, but I have not tried them.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
on our float trips i always had a 9x9 tarp with a pair of bungee cords attached. if shelter was needed for us or gear it was quick to pitch in lots of configurations. we could always grab another bungee from the raft if we needed it.

WRM

WKR
To throw further fuel on the silynylon versus cuben debate

http://popupbackpacker.com/cuben-fiber-dyneema-and-economics/

https://backpackinglight.com/cuben-fiber-dyneema-ultralight-film-outdoor-gear-apparel-cottage/

Apparently the makers of Dyneema recently bought the company that makes cuben (and it now may no longer be called cuben). Prices have already gone up for cuben fabric.

Read the comments in the BPL article, or, if you are a member, read some of the articles on cuben. Make an informed choice before you shell out your hard earned $$ (which apparently will be even more $ now). Cuben has drawbacks, Weight is not one of them, but some of the other ones are significant, IMO (see my post above). You can put the saved money to good use on something else unless you really need cuben fiber in your specific use. A general tarp is probably not where you need to spend the bucks on cuben.

I have one cuben item--a Zpacks rain skirt. I bought it for easy carry in my rain jacket pocket. I actually will probably get another one from a company that make them in silnylon. The cuben one is super stiff and won't ball up or "stuff" like silnylon--another drawback for cuben.

Last edited:
The BPL article and comments were interesting. Based on the comments of Josh Leavitt from Ruta Locura, customer service has already dropped to the point that he stated that he will no longer do business with them or make any products from Cuben fiber (Dyneema fiber). I tend to agree with the comments here, as well as the BPL article, the benefits provided by Cuben fiber don't justify the huge increase in cost to the consumer.

WRM

WKR
Unless something changes, I think many of the smaller players in that field (many of whom, I'm sure, make some great products) will get squeezed out. Looks like they have already had to look to Zpacks as their defacto supplier. It's just another reason to be sure money spent on a cuben product was money spent wisely.

Been running a jimmy tarps 6x9, under 7 ounces for under $70, not the lightest in category but a reasonable priced item for one unsure if they want to go that direction, worth a look.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
e6ad20438e574ac604508e5180f70e38_zpskctqglqy.jpg
[/IMG]

I picked up a jimmy tarp near the end of the season this year, only used a couple times but very happy with it. Whatever you go with the shaped set up is the way to go! Super fast compared to a regular sil tarp

Ian

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
e6ad20438e574ac604508e5180f70e38_zpskctqglqy.jpg
[/IMG]

I picked up a jimmy tarp near the end of the season this year, only used a couple times but very happy with it. Whatever you go with the shaped set up is the way to go! Super fast compared to a regular sil tarp

Ian
Do you have a link to the specific tarp you have in that pick? Looks slick for an emergency shelter.

Ruskin

WKR
That's a jimmy tarp. He sells on eBay. I have one and used it on an overnight. Light and small. He now make one with and extra flap to make it 4 sided.

Cledus

WKR
Do you have a link to the specific tarp you have in that pick? Looks slick for an emergency shelter.

That's the granite mountain, and like others have said, you can now get it with an add-on vestibule to make it enclosed. He can also do a stove jack for it.

Those that already use this setup, how much room do you have once inside? Could 2 people squeeze in? Or, could I get my pack and bow in with me?