Tarp on the go?

I was watching a recent meateater episode and it showed Steve and crew tarping up several times during their day hunts in Alaska due to bad weather. One presumes they would sit it out in the relative comfort of the tarp while waiting for the fog, rain or snow to pass. I have also seen him set up tarps while glassing in weather and sun.

How many of you do this?

I guess I am just a dummy because I usually just sit it out in my rain or snow gear. Seems like a bit of a pain in the ass to set up a tarp but it has me thinking.

tttoadman

WKR
I put this in the "hunt smarter not harder" category. I soaked through all my clothes because I was going to stay out there and improve my chances. What I should have done is take 5 minutes and pitch my tarp and sit under it where I had a good vantage. I never leave without my poles and my tarp, so there is no excuse not to use it when it makes sense.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I set up a tarp to glass from if I'm expecting cruddy weather. I carry a cuben fiber tarp that weighs 5.1 oz, so it's a no brainer.

Last time I was on Kodiak we had 11 days of rain. A large lightweight umbrella or small tarp definitely was added to the gear list for next time.

Justin,
What Cuben tarp are you using? I'm looking at some of them and interested in what make and size you like out in the field? Thanks.

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, it is real being fogged and rained in for days at a time. With it in Kodiak or the North Slope. My "tarp" is my tent (SL3 for the last 4 yrs), it goes where I do when in the field.

My base camp is either the pickup at the road or if a drop in, a SL5

I carry a piece of 2mil or something drop cloth that I have the corners reinforced with duct tape and small holes. I can set this up as a super temp tarp for cover with some of the cordage and my hiking poles I also carry, but when we get an animal down I use it to lay meat on. A big roll is only a few bucks at lowes so you can get a lot of uses out of a single roll

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin,
What Cuben tarp are you using? I'm looking at some of them and interested in what make and size you like out in the field? Thanks.

I run the Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus. It works great as an ultralight shelter, but isn't really the ideal shape for glassing from. I'm actually thinking about getting one of their rectangle tarps to try. I've been very happy with the quality of their stuff.

http://zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml

WRM

WKR
Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar. A bunch of pitching options and extremely windproof. They are used with great success in the UK where bad weather is the norm rather than the exception. I have had mine pitched this year in pretty much sustained 40+mph winds and it did not budge--absolutely zero indication it was even remotely reaching a failure point. Line locs work great with the proper cord. Even I can get it pitched in just a couple of minutes. Silnylon is reputed to be quite a bit easier to pitch than cuben and it would be a pretty small weight difference in this product anyway. Rob at MLD makes some great gear (I have a qulit and bug bivy from them too), and is always ready to answer questions.

I almost went with the Zpacks. In the end, I decided I did not need cuben and I wanted the tarp style. Wind being a primary issue, I went with the Trailstar after reading tons of positive reviews on UK based forums. Glad I did, as I saved a lot of $$ and have had zero issues with it.

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
OP
Desk Jockey
You guys are hurting My wallet.

I have a few GI ponchos from back in the day and a couple of aluminzed emergency blankets I use as ground clothes so my tarp knowledge is week sauce.

Somebody school me on the differences in rip stop, vs synilin vs the high end stuff. Synilin is about double the price. Seems like prices take a big jump to go up to cuben. Which must be made of angels farts and waterproofed with unicorn blood for what it costs. Is it really just a weight difference or is their a performance variance too?