Tarp & Bivy Question

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to give a tarp and bivy setup a shot this year. I know a lot of guys say they just throw out the bivy if no rain and don't put a tarp up. Given the unpredictable weather I'm a bit unsure about getting a sudden rainstorm at night and getting soaked without a tarp setup. If anyone has any experience or advice I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

So, I use the tarp but not the bivy unless I will get wetter from rain than condensation. I then leave the tarp set up as camp and get into the bivy up to my waist while glassing if it’s windy and wet. This is a bare bones MSR e-bivy, not a fully featured heavy one. That would bring weights back up to tent level. If the wind gets too strong for the tarp above treeline, I pull my poles and ride it out under the tarp basically flat like a rug, using my pack to keep it off my face. You get wet from condensation if it’s raining— but your tarp doesnt blow away or get destroyed. In certain conditions, clouds can blow through / under the tarp and soak everything. A couple tarp camps above treeline last weekend for caribou.

Attachments

• IMG_2636.jpeg
    IMG_2636.jpeg
    579.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2629.jpeg
    IMG_2629.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2632.jpeg
    IMG_2632.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 69
OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
So, I use the tarp but not the bivy unless I will get wetter from rain than condensation. I then leave the tarp set up as camp and get into the bivy up to my waist while glassing if it’s windy and wet. This is a bare bones MSR e-bivy, not a fully featured heavy one. That would bring weights back up to tent level. If the wind gets too strong for the tarp above treeline, I pull my poles and ride it out under the tarp basically flat like a rug, using my pack to keep it off my face. You get wet from condensation if it’s raining— but your tarp doesnt blow away or get destroyed. In certain conditions, clouds can blow through / under the tarp and soak everything. A couple tarp camps above treeline last weekend for caribou.
That seems pretty hardcore doing this setup in Alaska, hats off to you. My bivy is a Katabatic Pinon, it's like 8 ounces, essentially a bug net with a really thin floor and some splash protection. My 'tarp' is SG Sky Air ULT, like 12 ounces w/out vestibule. I'm thinking most nights just throw bivy out, but worried about getting soaked from surprise rain storm, so curious if it's not worth just pitching tarp every night just in case.

Austink47

WKR
For me the psychological benefit of having a tarp up makes it worth the effort. I just sleep better under a tarp, it makes me feel like I am in a tent. If the weather is nice I pretty much use my bivy as a ground sheet.

Beendare

WKR
I'm going to give a tarp and bivy setup a shot this year. I know a lot of guys say they just throw out the bivy if no rain and don't put a tarp up. Given the unpredictable weather I'm a bit unsure about getting a sudden rainstorm at night and getting soaked without a tarp setup. If anyone has any experience or advice I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
Lots of discussion on this if you search.

I went away from that 30 years ago for multiple reasons and never looked back. A Tarptent or equal ....or a tipi setup is lighter and all around better in every way.

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of discussion on this if you search.

I went away from that 30 years ago for multiple reasons and never looked back. A Tarptent or equal ....or a tipi setup is lighter and all around better in every way.

I have found a lot on tarp and bivy, but nothing on this specific question. Searching on this forum is a learned skill for sure.

I have other options, like Durston, Cimmaron, and so forth, just want to try something different and see how it goes. Experiences on both ends of spectrum from people, some love it and some hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarps and tipis, tarptents— they’re just different tools. Time and place for each. I’m happy with a 7 oz 8x10 cuben tarp in tarp conditions, but definitely appreciate the tarptent when bugs and an issue and the tipi when space is needed for drying gear. It’s as much a personality question as a weight/protection/pack volume. Have fun testing out your setup!

Drenalin

WKR.
I'm not doing the bivy thing anymore, but always pitched a tarp when I was using one. If bugs weren't a concern, I'd skip the bivy, but always had the tarp. Well, not always - I got surprised once. After that, always had the tarp.

TaperPin

WKR
Just wait until a constant rain is headed your way and camp out in the backyard. I never could find the joy in a bivi.

I've been using a Jimmy Tarps Granite Mountain and Borah Ultralight bivy for the past few years on September hunts in Colorado. Tarp weighs 15 oz, bivy 6 oz, stakes 4 oz. I use a single trekking pole as a central support for the tarp. I like this setup pretty well...it's lightweight and pretty roomy under the tarp for one person.

BBob

WKR
Early season high country hunts: If you choose to sleep in the open not under the tree canopy there can be enough dew to soak you. If you’re not using a full waterproof bivy you’ll be wet in the morning. Full waterproof bivy’s aren’t the best choice (weight, possible condensation) pairing with a tarp. All of my friends in early season do tarps and no bivy. I hate bugs when sleeping so I sleep better with a bivy used under a tarp. My bivy is an MLD Superlight which is a DCF bathtub and a breathable upper. If I sleep in the open the bivy and bag can be soaked by morning from dew. BTDT If it is more time efficient while on the move I’ll just sleep in the bivy with the above ^^^ in mind. If it rained during the night I’d throw the tarp over me and go back to sleep.