Target Panic...Extreme. Literally ruining my life lol

WildBoose

Lil-Rokslider
Long story short, I grew up shooting archery. 4-5 times a week I would shoot my bow and loved every single minute of it. As I grew older I started shooting fish via snap shooting.....Now I can get over my target panic. When I draw back I have to immediately punch the release. If I can manage to get past that and start moving downward toward my target BAM, punch. I've literally shot my neighbors house before because I have no control. I loved it and want to get back into it desperately...Just can't overcome it. Please help!

Dbolick

FNG
What kind of release are you shooting?

I shoot a thumb and what helps me not punch is: the way I hold the release I never move my hand to manipulate the release, it’s all in pulling the release with back tension. I set the knuckle of my thumb on the trigger lightly and just pull my hand back, eventually your thumb will trip the trigger without ever even moving your thumb. This can be done with an index release just the same.

Another thing I overcame (well still have to work on) is being comfortable with my pin covering where I want to hit. I would notice some of my shots go low right and it’s because I’m trying to peek around my pin to see the dot on my target, but if I consciously allow my pin to cover where I want to hit then my shot is pretty good

kcm2

WKR

Give this a look. It may help. You don't have to do everything to the letter but it's a pretty good plan to get out of target panic.

jimh406

WKR
It's all about control. It's not easy to get over, but you can do it. Try these steps.

Day 1. Practice with your release without your bow or practice with the release (or fingers) and a string with slight pressure on it. Don't shoot the bow until you can control the release without the bow. Repeat.

Day 2. Stand in front of a target at close range. Close your eyes. Draw the bow without shooting hold it for a few seconds and then let down. Repeat.

Day 3. Stand in front of a target at close range. Close your eyes. Draw the bow then release an arrow. Repeat.

Day 4. Stand in front of a target at close range. Draw the bow hold for a few seconds and let down. Repeat.

Day 5. Draw the bow and shoot. Note: do not adjust the sight or change distances.

I've found target panic is worse for people who are constantly making adjustments. This type of change creates anxiety that you may miss. Avoid that.

CJ_BG

FNG
That's some pretty bad target panic, I would definitely look into the shot iq course but it's also not everything there is to know about shot processes. I think that for your case though it's a good starting point and would be money well spent.

The most helpful thing for me was to shoot long range, like 100+ yards. My target panic came from trying too hard to be in the 10 ring every time, and shooting at long ranges removed that expectation. Goes without saying, you definitely want to have a big target or a solid stack of straw bales 😂

Get a resistance release (Carter Evolution, the current one is my favorite). It will absolutely force you to change your current process and there is no punching it since there’s no trigger/thumb button/hinge which can all be punched or dumped. While target panic is actually stems from the mental side of archery this forces the change since it forces the shot process to work in a manner that circumvents the current one which allows for target panic to be present.

I’ve been where you are and this will enable you to shoot again. Good luck.

Felix40

WKR
I tried a back tension release a long time ago and it was very possible to punch the release. I ended up not using it.

What got me over target panic was constantly aiming then letting down. Put your finger behind the trigger. Draw back, maybe you can’t even aim right now but slowly work up to it. Keep doing that until you can hold a pin on the target then let down.

I tried a back tension release a long time ago and it was very possible to punch the release. I ended up not using it.

What got me over target panic was constantly aiming then letting down. Put your finger behind the trigger. Draw back, maybe you can’t even aim right now but slowly work up to it. Keep doing that until you can hold a pin on the target then let down.
This helped me a lot. It was shocking to see how much flinch I developed the second the pin got over target - practicing with that trigger finger back was super important.
It can get boring and repetitive so I would work in "drills" of sorts also - spending a week focusing on specific portions of my shot process while drawing back and not shooting.
Ie: working on anchor/kisser position ; focusing on target as opposed to pin during float ; bow hand to eliminate torque ; peep/level reference process

Most pro shops have someone that could coach as well and maybe even a local school has someone that would be able to offer up some solid coaching advice. Buy, beg or steal their time - if you enjoy shooting enough, it will be worth it.

TX_Diver

WKR
Where do you live? If you’re anywhere near Denver go setup some lessons at RMS gear. The mental part of shot execution concepts between shooting a trad bow and compound are the same (at least with my process).

I haven’t tried shot IQ but have learned a ton from Tom at RMS gear.

ozyclint

WKR
Another thing I overcame (well still have to work on) is being comfortable with my pin covering where I want to hit. I would notice some of my shots go low right and it’s because I’m trying to peek around my pin to see the dot on my target, but if I consciously allow my pin to cover where I want to hit then my shot is pretty good
Could you not have your impact point as the top of the pin? That way you can see the aim point.
Pretty sure air pistol shooters aim this way