Tapeworm Cysts in Mule Deer Muscle/Backstraps?

Smoke10

FNG
I shot a mule deer on Sunday and today I started processing the meat. I believe I found (2) tapeworm cysts in the backstraps and (1) in one of the hindquarters so far. They are round/spherical, about the size of a mustard seed, and white in color.

They are not rice shaped, so I don't believe it is sarcocystis.

Reasearching the internet, it looks like Alaska and Idaho game and fish have publications saying tapeworm cysts are not harmful to humans but the meat needs to be cooked well done.

Has anyone else found tapeworm cysts in the deer/elk they have harvested?

I grew up processing the whitetails my family harvested. My dad had me helping him butcher deer well before I could hunt myself. I've got close to 20 years of experience processing wild game between helping my dad and processing my own deer and elk, but I've never experienced anything like this till now.

20221122_193016.jpg

20221122_193008.jpg

20221122_202957.jpg

I have significantly more experience processing game than you, as in a few more decades, and I have never come across tapeworms. I simply would not take chances with tapeworms; they need to be cooked to death, thus the recommendation to cook the meat till well done. I hate well done meat. I would likely grind it all and cook it well done, or give it to someone that wants it and cooks it well done.

OP
S

Smoke10

FNG
I didn't know they could get into the muscle like this. I also do not like meat that is cooked well done.

Here is another one I just found

20221122_215707.jpg

Bambistew

WKR
Almost every moose and caribou I've shot here in AK had them, sime more than others. I cant think of a sheep that had any. Freezing for a week kills them. I still only cook my meat to 130 internal. I will pick them out if I see them but don't worry about them otherwise. The fish we eat both salmon and halibut has way more worms. Some are just loaded. Handfuls in the guts. 😝

Don't feed fresh meat or bones to dogs.

Tape worms and wolves live together. I wonder if its due to the reintroduced wolves? I can't say I ever saw them in MT in any of our animals or the 100s I cut commercially. The worm is dormant in the ungulate, and when they die the wolves or other larger predators canine, notnaure about others, complete the worms cycle. Goes through them, grows and she's in feces. Ungulates eat eggs on plants and from water, and it starts over.

Don't sweat it.

Bambistew

WKR
Then how do you explain them being in the meat?
Google can help you out. The eggs are transported in the blood stream. Maybe I'm loaded with worms, but i doubt it. I ate some tape worm infested moose tonight as a matter of fact.

Google can help you out. The eggs are transported in the blood stream. Maybe I'm loaded with worms, but i doubt it. I ate some tape worm infested moose tonight as a matter of fact.

Google could help you figure out just how they get into meat, rather than blood vessils. It can also help with how they get out of the digestive tract.

What you really should do is discuss this with your doctor.

I had no idea tapeworm cysts were a thing in cervids. I know as mentioned that a lot of fish are infested but never seen them in cervids. Maybe take it to fish and game and have them confirm?

OP
S

Smoke10

FNG
Yeah I'm planning to call game and fish and take the ones I've found into the local game & fish office after I get off work today.

Oregon

WKR
I have no clue what they are, but I have run across those frequently in mule deer. Just as recently as this years Wyoming buck. Probably found 4 different ones throughout the hindquarters. I just flick them out.

On a different note, I have had tapeworms. Eating uncooked/unfrozen salmon. It's not that unpleasant. It just takes one pill to "clear them out". :ROFLMAO:

I have 30+ years as a commercial processor and can’t remember seeing anything like that. Then again, maybe I have and have just cut it out and went on? I would remove them as much as possible just because that’s gross and I don’t like them. Lol

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Hydatid tapeworm cysts (the ones associated with canines) are concentrated in the livers of ungulates. While I’m sure it’s not “impossible” for those specific ones to occur intramuscularly, it seems pretty unlikely.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aaaah my old friend, Tainea cyst. Yup wolves and coyotes are carriers, ungulates eat the soiled veg and get infected. Muscle tapeworms are not harmful to humans but women and children generally find them disgusting. So, best eaten thoroughly cooked and under candle lit dinners! Pick em out best you can and don't make eye contact with them from fork to mouth, no one will get hurt!!

lb

OP
S

Smoke10

FNG
Thanks everybody for the input, I appreciate it. Game and fish biologist also thinks they're tapeworm cysts

Not sure where you shot him, but in MT, you will find them in mule deer and moose. Not cervids. It is FAR more common than people think. If you butcher your own meat, and kill some older deer/moose… you will find them.
My brother shot a moose and the back strap looked like honeycomb. Definitely the worse I’ve seen. I shot a mule deer on The Front that was almost as bad. MTFWP knows about it, you can turn EVERYTHING in and get another tag… or cook it well like others have said.
I just shot a very old buck about 2 weeks ago. It is common to find them along the spine. So when I was boning him out, I found a couple. I took a few pics in case the rest of the meat was honeycomb. When we cut him up, we didn’t find any inside the muscle. Just the few boning the straps and blades.

From conversations with MTFWP, ONLY mule deer and moose. Not whitetail.

Attachments

• 0FEC87A9-D696-4418-9B90-8A36405EBC88.jpeg
    0FEC87A9-D696-4418-9B90-8A36405EBC88.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 37
  • D9DC5E30-1EA9-44A6-89A0-BCDCFB045D5F.jpeg
    D9DC5E30-1EA9-44A6-89A0-BCDCFB045D5F.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 38
  • ECCB2570-9833-4834-94FE-77140B212745.jpeg
    ECCB2570-9833-4834-94FE-77140B212745.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Featured Video