Tape a barrel to keep out moisture?

I am 95% a bowhunter but about to go on a rifle hunt. I see lot of videos of people taping up the end of their barrel to keep out moisture. Does this tape not affect accuracy? If not, what kind of tape should be used?

FURMAN

WKR
I would use a small balloon. It should not affect accuracy as the pressure should push it off before the bullet hits it but I always check.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I believe that the volume of air in the barrel breaks the tape before the bullet exits. I just use electrical tape - never had a problem with accuracy

cnelk

WKR
Been doing it for 40 yrs. No adverse effects.
Black elect tape for me as it has many other uses too

goetzc

FNG
Same here - my grandpa told me this trick and has been doing it forever I think.

Owenst7

WKR
Electrical tape. I keep some in my pack anyway. It's got a lot of uses from repairs to first aid, or keeping your tag from getting ripper off antlers.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Electrical tape - keeps moisture and more importantly debris (dirt, twigs, etc) from clogging your barrel if you take a fall. Would suck to have to walk back to the truck to clean out the barrel.

While hunting in Austria, most rifles I have seen have iron sights and scopes. Most hunters have a small leather cap that goes over the front sight and the end of the barrel that had a snap button closure. I like the idea, but its one more thing to worry about and I just stick to the electrical tape

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I've used the electrical tape for years. I also wrap several turns around the barrel that I can use for replacement after shooting or for other purposes. No issue with change in point of impact. In addition to keeping out moisture, the tape also keeps other stuff out of the barrel.

SoDaky

WKR
In cold weather,if you forget tape,condom,whatever you can tear a thin cloth or even paper,fold it over and wet the bottom parts below muzzle.quickly ices up and stays on remarkably well.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I use the barrel cots but electrical tape works as well. I have shot different rifles using different methods of covering the barrel, I havent seen much of a change of impact point (that I can attribute fully to the barrel cover). I always have something on the end of my barrel as I have had to make the walk back to the truck to clean out my gun after falling into a hole over snow covered ground.

I've used electrical tape for years. I start a strip running with the barrel for about 1 1/2 inches and pull it up and over the muzzle (No round in the chamber of course as you are doing this.) and then down the other side for about 1 1/2 inches or so. Press on the tape to make sure it's sticking nicely. No accuracy problems at all and it works.

I used to use the Birchwood Casey Barrel cots, but found they were too thin and I kept having to replace them throughout the 5 day hunt. I have since started using black electrical tape. I cut three pieces each about 6 inches long. I put one piece top to bottom of muzzle, the second piece side to side of muzzle, and the third piece around the ends of the first two pieces (around the barrel). It lasts the entire hunt duration, or until you shoot the rifle. It has no effect on the accuracy.

I am 95% a bowhunter but about to go on a rifle hunt. I see lot of videos of people taping up the end of their barrel to keep out moisture. Does this tape not affect accuracy? If not, what kind of tape should be used?

I use duct tape, never had an issue with it and it’s something I always have extra of when I’m deep in the woods. I just tear off a small patch, I usually keep some extra wrapped around my Nalgene bottle for emergencies such as this.

b772e461906a2e40014ed9046619dc0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmac

WKR
There was a study on the effects of electrical tape on accuracy vs. a small amount of moisture and it was surprising. I tried to find it again and couldn't. Maybe someone is better than me at google. Basically measured groups comparing both and was a fairly big change when moisture was in barrel and basically nothing with the electrical tape.