Tank or compressor for jeep

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
My brother is looking at a compressor or a tank for his new Jeep Rubicon. I've been using a Viair 450 P that I am very pleased with. He's considering a CO2 tank arrangement that is new to me. Costs considerably more than the Viair but it's smaller and more portable. On the other hand, needs to be recharged with C02. He's been told that the tank he's looking at would be good for about 20 re-inflates from low pressure for his 35 inch tires. Has anyone got any experience with these CO2 tanks?

I had a viair 450 with the 2 gallon tank in my Jeep. Best of both worlds. CO2 works good too. I just liked having it available since CO2 runs out. All the guys in our Jeep group ran compressors. I was the only one that had the surge tank. It was nice because you could start the compressor before you finished and have enough air to get the first tire or two aired up. I was running 37's so it took a little more volume. I got rid of the storage cubby in the back and fabbed up a mount so it hung underneath. Also had a pressure gauge in my A Pillar to see the fill status of the tank.

Compressor.jpgcompressormount.jpgCompressorunderjeep.jpg

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a CO2 tank for a long time. It works great and it does last a long time. Never have counted how many air ups it will do. I have a full backup tank in the garage that way I don’t have to worry about getting one refilled over the weekend or on long trips.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
I had a viair 450 with the 2 gallon tank in my Jeep. Best of both worlds. CO2 works good too. I just liked having it available since CO2 runs out. All the guys in our Jeep group ran compressors. I was the only one that had the surge tank. It was nice because you could start the compressor before you finished and have enough air to get the first tire or two aired up. I was running 37's so it took a little more volume. I got rid of the storage cubby in the back and fabbed up a mount so it hung underneath. Also had a pressure gauge in my A Pillar to see the fill status of the tank.

View attachment 772326View attachment 772327View attachment 772328
That is a nice setup. The surge tank is a good idea that I was not aware of. Thanks for the info.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a CO2 tank for a long time. It works great and it does last a long time. Never have counted how many air ups it will do. I have a full backup tank in the garage that way I don’t have to worry about getting one refilled over the weekend or on long trips.
Mtn, thanks for the information. Is it difficult or inconvenient to get your CO2 tanks refilled? My brother was told it was a 20-30 dollar cost each time, whether the tanks were topped off or completely refilled. But he lives in California so maybe it's more there.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Mtn, thanks for the information. Is it difficult or inconvenient to get your CO2 tanks refilled? My brother was told it was a 20-30 dollar cost each time, whether the tanks were topped off or completely refilled. But he lives in California so maybe it's more there.

I take them to a welding supply store and exchange them for filled ones. The last time I exchanged both of them it cost under $20.00.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
If you do a lot of air ups a compressor might be a better option but I switched because I went through several compressors and got tired of replacing them. Milwaukee has a battery powered compressor that I have seen work and if you are packing any battery tools that might be an option all be it a slow option.

mthayr

WKR
Chalk one more up for using a CO2 tank. Faster air-ups than a compressor and no additional wiring. Fits perfectly behind the passenger rear seat in my Taco.

Protip: You can find the regulator unit, coiled hose, and guard for MUCH cheaper (sub-$200) than a Power Tank on eBay (search for Preece Precision). Since you're just gonna swap tanks at the welding shop anyway, no reason to spend so much for a "pretty" tank!

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
If you do a lot of air ups a compressor might be a better option but I switched because I went through several compressors and got tired of replacing them. Milwaukee has a battery powered compressor that I have seen work and if you are packing any battery tools that might be an option all be it a slow option.
I've had good luck with my Viair and used it for vehicles from cars to motorcycles, and even to blow out a broken cleaning rod from my muzzleloader. I have also heard that compressors wear out, and some folks who have mounted them in their engine compartments have experienced early failures. The CO2 tanks appear to fill much faster; they can sustain a surprisingly-high flow rate from what I've read. Really big advantage over a compressor for filling up a raft or inflatable kayak. I like that they store the CO2 in the liquid state, but I bet the state change is highly endothermic and the regulator gets super cold.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Chalk one more up for using a CO2 tank. Faster air-ups than a compressor and no additional wiring. Fits perfectly behind the passenger rear seat in my Taco.

Protip: You can find the regulator unit, coiled hose, and guard for MUCH cheaper (sub-$200) than a Power Tank on eBay (search for Preece Precision). Since you're just gonna swap tanks at the welding shop anyway, no reason to spend so much for a "pretty" tank!
Thanks for the good advice. Yes, my brother also found that Power Tank is very high end in pricing. Multiple tanks and swapping is a great idea and it sounds convenient.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
By the time you get two guys and hunting gear or my family of 4 plus camping gear, there is no room at all for a tank. This is on a 4 Door Rubicon.

I air up and down every week and while the compressor is slow, it’s all under the hood and takes up no extra room.