Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
These scopes have been tested over and over again. Many comparisons with Schmidt, zco, NF, you name it. Just go over to snipers hide and you will see plenty of tests on all the top tier scopes on rifles with plenty of guys having them on heavy use rifles.

Those are not tests. What I’m doing is not a “test” in the scientific sense. “Heavy use” isn’t sitting in a bench, nor is it a PRS match- that would be like saying golf carts get “heavy use” from golf courses.

Plenty of tracking tests, IQ tests, depth of field tests, CA, you name it.

It’s a $4k scope. Other than tracking, not one of those things you stated have anything to do with an aiming device. How is their zero retention through impacts? Consistent vibration from vehicles on washboard roads?

An aiming device for field use must do these things in order-

1) Maintain zero regardless of use.

2). Adjust consistently

3. Return to zero exactly.

4). Adjust correctly.

Everything else are “likes” and “wants” they are not required for an aiming device. CA does not stop me from killing an animal, nor does DOF, nor does IQ… But loss of zero does.

When we get into the 3k plus range in scopes, we are just nitpicking. They are all good.

That is 100% false. “They are all good” is what is said by people who only look through them, not use them hard. There are lots, and lots of $3000 aiming devices that lose zero from even minor field use.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I've had a NF ATACR on a rifle that tipped over leaning against my safe. It had a 7 inch shift from zero from that one small impact. I've had a Bushnell bang around in the back of a polaris Ranger for months and still hold zero. So it's really a crap shoot.

It’s not a crap shoot. There are models and makes that will consistently hold zero even through heinous impacts. If you had an ATACR shift 7 inches from a drop, you have a scope with a broken erector- it can’t shift that much without something being way off, and it will manifest itself obviously in other ways. You had a shift in the action/stock, or mounting system.

Unless you can control impacts in an identical way from scope to scope, drop testing is not a good comparison from one to the next in my opinion. Fun to watch guys drop there rifles for fun on the ground though. Especially expensive ones!

Exact same rifle, from the same height (+/- .inch). And the same exact NF Milspec and ATACR have been used to proof the rifles before drops for almost a decade. Hundreds of scopes have been “tested”. It’s very repeatable, and very clear which lines of scopes work correctly, and which don’t.

I look forward to the OPs results and what he thinks of his TT and Minox.

The Minox had a zero shift before 200 rounds. The TT made it 23 rounds. Not looking good…

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
That right there has been a killer of many! I've had them go south when all they did was ride in a well padded case in the bed of the truck down a washboard road.

Ah yeah. I’ve said before I could just forgo all the impact stuff and instead put the rifle in the truck bed on a thin mat and drive FS roads. In the last few months, I’ve had multiple “alpha” scopes that would shift just from riding in the back seat. And they would do it consistently.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’m interested in the drop test end. My 6X SWFA equipped rifle slipped from my fingertips at waist height opening weekend and landed on the elevation turret on frozen clay soil. Shrugged my shoulders and shot it 5 days later to check zero. It held.

The only issue that manifests with the SWFA fixed powers is bending the turret from very hard drops. Scopes still function fine, but it can look a bit wonky.

JakeM51

FNG
Ah yeah. I’ve said before I could just forgo all the impact stuff and instead put the rifle in the truck bed on a thin mat and drive FS roads. In the last few months, I’ve had multiple “alpha” scopes that would shift just from riding in the back seat. And they would do it consistently.
Which ones survived the truck?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Since we are being "clear" with one another, it's worth noting that I posted the 2 Facebook videos and 4 YouTube videos BEFORE my through-the-scope post. Came back about 20 minutes later and those videos were mysteriously taken down..........my through-the-scope post was still there though :unsure:

If I didn't know any better, I would think that someone cried to the mods for those videos to be taken down.....like, maybe there's an agenda or something 🤷‍♂️

Huh? I’m not sure what you’re insinuating, or if you are for me, but I can assure there isn’t anything on my end. Ever.

I am not paid, supported, sponsored, endorsed, in bed with, or otherwise linked to any company whatsoever. Every single scope you see me with was paid for, or if it was a laoned to be evaluated, that’s stated clearly.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Those are not tests. What I’m doing is not a “test” in the scientific sense. “Heavy use” isn’t sitting in a bench, nor is it a PRS match- that would be like saying golf carts get “heavy use” from golf courses.

It’s a $4k scope. Other than tracking, not one of those things you stated have anything to do with an aiming device. How is their zero retention through impacts? Consistent vibration from vehicles on washboard roads?

An aiming device for field use must do these things in order-

1) Maintain zero regardless of use.

2). Adjust consistently

3. Return to zero exactly.

4). Adjust correctly.

Everything else are “likes” and “wants” they are not required for an aiming device. CA does not stop me from killing an animal, nor does DOF, nor does IQ… But loss of zero does.

That is 100% false. “They are all good” is what is said by people who only look through them, not use them hard. There are lots, and lots of $3000 aiming devices that lose zero from even minor field use.

Please let me know which $3000 dollar or more military scopes that are designed for hard use that lose zero from minor field use?

I have no dog in this fight and not trying to justify what I have purchased. I own Schmidt, NF, TT, Minox, ZCO, Bushnell and Vortex scopes. Along with some real cheapo scopes. I hope the ZP5 out performs the TT in your testing as I still think the ZP5 is one of the best scopes for the "street price" that doesnt get much recognition.

Last edited:

seand

WKR
Please let me know which $3000 dollar or more military scopes that are designed for hard use that lose zero from minor field use. NF ATACR? Schmidt PMII? How bout a gen2 razor even? Tangent P or M? Minox ZP5? Henny? Kahles k525i? Steiner Military? Leopold mk6/8? Elcan? Trijicon? Etc.. These companies wouldn't be in business if that's the case. And I'll still stand by my comment that they are all good listed above. They are designed to be rugged and maintain zero in harsh conditions. If they didn't, militaries around the world wouldn't be using them.

I have no dog in this fight and not trying to justify what I have purchased. I own Schmidt, NF, TT, Minox, ZCO, Bushnell and Vortex scopes. Along with some real cheapo scopes. I hope the ZP5 out performs the TT in your testing as I still think the ZP5 is one of the best scopes for the "street price" that doesnt get much recognition.

Confusing - you want the test results but won’t believe them? ZA5 lost zero after 200 rounds?

I sure appreciate formidilosus posting the test results.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Confusing - you want the test results but won’t believe them? ZA5 lost zero after 200 rounds?

I sure appreciate formidilosus posting the test results.

I appreciate what he has found in his example. He mentioned the ZP5 did not lose zero. I didn't think he was done with all his testing and only posted what he has done so far. Unless that is the conclusion of his test? Then the ZP5 had better results.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Please let me know which $3000 dollar or more military scopes that are designed for hard use that lose zero from minor field use. NF ATACR? Schmidt PMII? How bout a gen2 razor even? Tangent P or M? Minox ZP5? Henny? Kahles k525i? Steiner Military? Leopold mk6/8? Elcan? Trijicon? Etc..

NF ATACR- have used a lot. A lot. Have tested more than 20. They work. They have a failure rate of course, but it much lower than anyone else.

S&B PMII- have used a bunch. Tested more than 20. Some of them exhibit zero shifts from impacts- not all, and their overall failure rate is significantly higher than NF Milspecs, though less than most others. Still, a decent scope.

Gen 2 Razor- 100% that I have used and seen used, including the much vaunted 1-6x have failed and/or lost zero with sub 4K rounds- save one. I have used a lot and put a lot of rounds through them by anyones definition.

Tangent Theta- don’t know yet.

Minox ZP5- don’t know yet. I can say that the ZP8’s have catastrophe failures from repeated impacts.

Hendsoldt- have seen a bunch, though older. Generally didn’t see many issues, though haven’t put any through evaluation.

Steiner Military- six (6) in the last 12 months. Every single one failed with no abuse. The eyepieces become loose and fail big time. They also loose zero from side impacts.

Both of these were zeroed prior to a 12 hour car ride where with were in padded cases- no abuse, just vibration.
717045DD-A710-4FFD-BE59-FC05B0C3B193.jpeg
88E8EACB-9188-4859-A6F0-D1B6D7A5A9D6.jpeg

6.5 CM on left, .3 mil Yo, and .2 right shift. 338 on right .1 down, and .2 left shift.
CBD0B323-0F34-4C50-9FDF-4A7BFEA76699.jpeg

Rezeroed. 1 day later on the 6.5CM-
CB38CC6C-8B1D-4F9E-89B1-E0A461A2B7BC.jpeg

This has been consistent with all that I have seen.

Khahles- a dozen or so. Several complete failures, and they don’t like side impacts.

Leupold Mk6/8- haha. The Leupold Mark 6 failures were only eclipsed by the Leupold Mark 4 variable failures.

Here’s the last brand new Mk6 mil scope-
D7D29807-1C43-4FD0-A55F-D7885367AAD3.jpeg

Initial zeroing and grouping at 100 yards-
A6968E64-BDC3-45B5-8164-873091E748B2.jpeg

428 round later-
E6744FF8-D30F-4A96-A00D-C838D0645F26.jpeg

I can keep going.

These companies wouldn't be in business if that's the case. And I'll still stand by my comment that they are all good listed above. They are designed to be rugged and maintain zero in harsh conditions.

I could show in five minutes in front of you, that it is t the case. I’m just a dude on the internet- do not believe anything I say. I guess you have two choices. Seek confirmation bias- go ask others who haven’t tested their stuff, then feel better when they tell you I’m FOS. Or, test yourself and find out if marketing and people’s perception is true.

If they didn't, militaries around the world wouldn't be using them.

You have a serious lack of understanding of what militaries and governments do with regards to procurement, testing, selection, or use by soldiers.