Tally mounts & rings running out of windage problems

Right, 10 scopes and 10 rifles have nothing to do with subbing 1 scope on 1 rifle. I'm more inclined to think there's potentially a scope issue if you put the scope on a completely different rifle in completely different mounts and it maxes the same way, but subbing scope A for B doesn't tell you anything mechanically about Scope A.
Yes it does lol. There shouldn't be a 30moa difference between scope A and B. If scope A is zeroed with minimal windage adjustment, and scope B is maxed out on windage and still isn't zeroed, all other things being equal, there's a problem with scope B. You're purposefully being stupid at this point.

Yes, SJAOAF, assuming a similar scope, its easy to say that both scopes either maxxed-out or both required way excessive windage, in which case it’s likely not the scope…or scope 2 that came off a zeroed rifle also zeroed fine close to optical center, in which case its likely the first scope. I get what youre saying, but it’s just not that complicated. Sounds like scope 2 zeroed fine, 12 clicks (1.2mil or 3moa?) to zero with everything else equal sure sounds to me like that leupy was the problem.
OP Glad you found your problem, hope they sort it out for you.
Some morons just can't admit when they're wrong. Weak egos lol

Yes it does lol. There shouldn't be a 30moa difference between scope A and B. If scope A is zeroed with minimal windage adjustment, and scope B is maxed out on windage and still isn't zeroed, all other things being equal, there's a problem with scope B. You're purposefully being stupid at this point.

"All other things being equal" is the problem there. The same scope can be mounted twice in the same rings to the same rifle and have a different zero.

Pretty easy for OP to confirm an issue with the scope. Put it in the lower ring halves with the scope optically centered, then, without moving the rifle, rotate the scope around it's long axis 90 degrees. The scope's reticle should move massively on the X and Y axis relative to the object it's boresighted on, but it probably won't, because there's probably nothing wrong with the scope. (assuming that optical and mechanical center are the same)

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to bet you have one of the mounting screw holes tapped on the model 70 that is not tapped dead center on your action. Been there - done that. Run a long straight edge down the center of your barrel and action paying no attention to the 4 tapped screw holes. When straight edge is in place see where the 4 tapped screw holes line up. A couple thousands off center and you’ve found your problem. A competent smith can weld-fill the existing hole and retap.
There are more sophisticated ways to measure this that a gun gunsmith can do. Having a screw hole a couple thousands off center and you’ve found your problem.
The older Swarovski scopes were known for this in that they had very limited horizontal adjustment compared to others.

"All other things being equal" is the problem there. The same scope can be mounted twice in the same rings to the same rifle and have a different zero.

Pretty easy for OP to confirm an issue with the scope. Put it in the lower ring halves with the scope optically centered, then, without moving the rifle, rotate the scope around it's long axis 90 degrees. The scope's reticle should move massively on the X and Y axis relative to the object it's boresighted on, but it probably won't, because there's probably nothing wrong with the scope. (assuming that optical and mechanical center are the same)
Lol just keep being purposefully obtuse. You're making yourself look stupid.

OP
S-3 ranch

S-3 ranch

WKR
I’m really curious what is out of whack. Is the barrel bent? Are the receiver screws off center? Is the scope base machined off center? Bad scope?
I don’t know, but tally CS sent me a new and different type of rings
and they where a perfect match and I mechanically centered the scope in a mirror and put it on with very little effort to zero

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
and they where a perfect match and I mechanically centered the scope in a mirror and put it on with very little effort to zero
Im a little confused by the wording here.

Do you now have a properly zeroed scope with the new set of rings Talley sent?

TaperPin

WKR
That’s really interesting - maybe they had a bad batch that were drilled off kilter? I bet it‘s a relief that it wasn’t more serious.

sndmn11

WKR
Im a little confused by the wording here.

Do you now have a properly zeroed scope with the new set of rings Talley sent?

I'm confused too! New rings or new scope, or both...

It’s the leopold
slapped on a Burris signature and torqued to spec , 12 clicks and @ 0 now
I guess the leopold will make a trip to the service center;( soon
its out of geometry?

Macintosh

WKR
If it was the rings, why did the one scope not zero at all while the other zeroed inside 3moa from where it was? Does not add up, unless perhaps the burris has way more travel and had been last zeroed in the same rings.

If it was the rings, why did the one scope not zero at all while the other zeroed inside 3moa from where it was? Does not add up, unless perhaps the burris has way more travel and had been last zeroed in the same rings.
Or the turrets were played with, or every mount is different, or some adjustment was used during boresighting that wasn't discussed, etc. The Burris has more range than the Leupold.

A scope with matching optical and mechanical zero has about 0 chance of being the cause of an alignment issue. (Assuming it groups while zeroing)

Pulling 1 scope off and putting another one on tells you basically nothing.

OP
S-3 ranch

S-3 ranch

WKR
I have no clue.
the Burris does have more room horizontal adjustment,
I emailed tally about the leopold running out of adjustment, and if I had installed the rings wrong ? They responded with a different set of rings
so I put the leopold in them and attached them to the bases and it fixed my issue

Had the same problem with Talley’s on a Browning Xbolt. Had all the same answers above. Ordered DNZ Game Reapers and solved the problem. Had to turn my turrets half way to get back to center.

Macintosh

WKR
Or the turrets were played with, or every mount is different, or some adjustment was used during boresighting that wasn't discussed, etc. The Burris has more range than the Leupold.

A scope with matching optical and mechanical zero has about 0 chance of being the cause of an alignment issue. (Assuming it groups while zeroing)

Pulling 1 scope off and putting another one on tells you basically nothing.
Ok, I am taking into account all of what you are describing as problems, as assumed constants, so yes. Sounds like one of those things that works on my equipment because I treat it a certain way, but maybe not when quickly described over the interweb? Because Ive done it several times and successfully identified problem scopes that way. But yes, if youre going to use a comparison for process of elimination, it has to be maintained as a good comparison—but all of those variables are easily manageable.

fishslap

WKR
Are the Talleys lapped? Could start there, but you’d still be left with Talleys.

Use Burris rings with the inserts.

I used the Burris rings with inserts once on an older browning a-bolt and it worked for me at the range. I don’t hunt with the gun though.