Tally mounts & rings running out of windage problems

S-3 ranch

WKR
For some reason my scope is running out of windage ( it’s maxed out and still 4 inches wide)
am I off geometry and need to adjust or something
or should I ditch them and go two piece leopold dove tail , with the two screw adjusters? To cure left/right center issues
pre 64 M70 .270 with leopold 3-9x

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Are the Talleys lapped? Could start there, but you’d still be left with Talleys.

Use Burris rings with the inserts.

Scottf270

WKR
I'd try another optic. Something on the gun or mounts would have to be off massively to run out of adjustment. Has this gun been scoped successfully in the past?

Wrench

WKR
If you have 4" to go and have maxed windage, it could be a scope problem. You can put a mirror against the objective end and look inside the scope through the ocular. This will tell you if you're reticle is moving appropriately.

If the mounts are to blame I would go straight to burris signature rings with the inserts rolled to correct the problem. Windage screws would be the very last thing I'd rely on.

I think the Leupold 3-9s have 60 MOA of windage, so you're off center 30 MOA plus 4".

That's a lot. The Leupold rings or the Burris dovetails with windage adjustment will take care of it.

Macintosh

WKR
I'd try another optic. Something on the gun or mounts would have to be off massively to run out of adjustment. Has this gun been scoped successfully in the past?
This. If its been scoped before in the same rings, etc, with no issues, it’s likely the scope. or if a different scope works, it’s the scope…diff scope with the same issue it’s the mounts or the base screw located wrong, etc. if it isnt the acope, try those rings on a diff rifle if you can (you DO have an entire collection of pre-64 m70’s dont you?? :) ). One way or another trying another scope will narrow down where the problem is.

This. If its been scoped before in the same rings, etc, with no issues, it’s likely the scope. or if a different scope works, it’s the scope…diff scope with the same issue it’s the mounts or the base screw located wrong, etc. if it isnt the acope, try those rings on a diff rifle if you can (you DO have an entire collection of pre-64 m70’s dont you?? :) ). One way or another trying another scope will narrow down where the problem is.

Being able to put another scope on there doesn't tell you much. He could put a scope with 70 MOA of windage on the rifle and it would zero. (barely)

OP
S-3 ranch

S-3 ranch

WKR
It’s the leopold
slapped on a Burris signature and torqued to spec , 12 clicks and @ 0 now
I guess the leopold will make a trip to the service center;( soon
its out of geometry?

SDHNTR

WKR
It’s the leopold
its out of geometry?
The out of round Talleys probably bound up the erector in the Leupold.

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Being able to put another scope on there doesn't tell you much. He could put a scope with 70 MOA of windage on the rifle and it would zero. (barely)
Wrong. It would tell alot. If you max out your windage on one optic and still arent zeroed, and come close to maxing it out on another, then you know your optics aren't the problem and there's something else off with the geometry.

Last edited:
Wrong. It would tell alot. If you max out your windage on one optic and still arent zeroed, and come close to maxing it out on another, then you know your optics aren't the problem and there's something else off with the geometry.

You can just put the scope you're questioning on a mirror, center the reflected reticle (optical center) and verify that the scope has the same adjustment for impact left and right from center to stop.

EDIT: Putting scope A in a set of rings and comparing it to scope B just tells you that when the torque in the rings is applied to scope A the optical path has relation X to the bore that time. Putting Scope "B" in those same rings tells you that when the torque in the rings is applied to scope B the optical path has relation X to the bore that time. He could almost certainly put the same scope in a different set of rings on a different rifle and get a completely different result.

It’s the leopold
its out of geometry?

Was the Burris optically centered when you put it on there? The odds of your tube being out of round are pretty low.

Edited to add:

If the Leupold were out of round, it wouldn't be able to adjust its full travel, the erector (tube with lenses to the right of the turrets in this cutaway) wouldn't be able to move.

weaver3602.jpg

Last edited:

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
You can just put the scope you're questioning on a mirror, center the reflected reticle (optical center) and verify that the scope has the same adjustment for impact left and right from center to stop.

Was the Burris optically centered when you put it on there? The odds of your tube being out of round are pretty low.
Ok but that's not what your argument was. Yes the mirror trick works too, thus the phrase "there's more than one way to skin a cat"

But you said being able to put another optic on doesn't tell you much, which is incorrect.

OP
S-3 ranch

S-3 ranch

WKR

It was NIB never mounted, so I assume centered

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
see above, I added some content
It's still incorrect lol. Yes there may be small differences when you put scope A in the same set of rings on the same rifle as scope B. But if scope A and B require minimal windage adjustment on 9 out of 10 of my rifles, and then on the 10th rifle the windage needs to be maxed out or near maxed to get zeroed, it's not the optics that are the problem.

If I put 9 optics in the same set of rings on the same rifle, and they all require minimal windage adjustment to zero, but that 10th scope maxes out on windage and still isn't zeroed, then it's reasonable to say there's something wrong with that optic.

This isn't rocket science fella. Don't overthink it. Process of elimination is a beautiful thing.

It's still incorrect lol. Yes there may be small differences when you put scope A in the same set of rings on the same rifle as scope B. But if scope A and B require minimal windage adjustment on 9 out of 10 of my rifles, and then on the 10th rifle the windage needs to be maxed out or near maxed to get zeroed, it's not the optics that are the problem.

If I put 9 optics in the same set of rings on the same rifle, and they all require minimal windage adjustment to zero, but that 10th scope maxes out on windage and still isn't zeroed, then it's reasonable to say there's something wrong with that optic.

This isn't rocket science fella. Don't overthink it. Process of elimination is a beautiful thing.
Right, 10 scopes and 10 rifles have nothing to do with subbing 1 scope on 1 rifle. I'm more inclined to think there's potentially a scope issue if you put the scope on a completely different rifle in completely different mounts and it maxes the same way, but subbing scope A for B doesn't tell you anything mechanically about Scope A.

Macintosh

WKR
Yes, SJAOAF, assuming a similar scope, its easy to say that both scopes either maxxed-out or both required way excessive windage, in which case it’s likely not the scope…or scope 2 that came off a zeroed rifle also zeroed fine close to optical center, in which case its likely the first scope. I get what youre saying, but it’s just not that complicated. Sounds like scope 2 zeroed fine, 12 clicks (1.2mil or 3moa?) to zero with everything else equal sure sounds to me like that leupy was the problem.
OP Glad you found your problem, hope they sort it out for you.

OP, before you go through the trouble of reaching out to Leupold, shipping them your scope, and having them do this when it gets there, follow the above video to get your scope optically centered. When it's optically centered, see if it's also mechanically centered (equal number of clicks center to edge). If it's optically and mechanically centered, there's not going to be anything for them to fix.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m really curious what is out of whack. Is the barrel bent? Are the receiver screws off center? Is the scope base machined off center? Bad scope?