Talley mounts

Anyone mounted there Talley rings this way? Is the back too close to the turret? Didn’t notice until after sighting it in, hate to turn the back mount now!

Attachments

• IMG_1179.jpeg
    IMG_1179.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 96

Scottf270

WKR
My back mount on my X-bolt is very close to the turret. Only way to get proper eye relief without going to a pic rail. If everything is as it should, there should be no issue.

Hard to see in your picture, but your front bell hitting the mount would be more of more concern than the rear.

I would flip the rear mount around. But that's just me.

I was told by a trusted gunsmith to make sure to get your rings as far apart as possible (pending comfortable eye relief of course). I have always done that. I don't know if it matters or not. He made reference to: " be sure to not treat the scope like a tuning fork". lol

It would be nice to get the rings as far apart as possible, but some setups/scopes will require the configuration you have pictured once eye relief is all set. It’s anecdotal of course, but I have a setup with the rings that way. Its a newer build, but 250 rounds and a couple of hunts under it’s belt and no issues whatsoever. Just as long as neither ring is contacting anything, conflicting with your ability to make adjustments, or riding the objective bevel I’d go with it

OP
2bridgetiger
Well , couldn’t stand it! Removed the scope and tried to turn the mount, but that is the only way the mount will fit! It you turn the back mount it will hit the bolt. Guess that is how the mount is designed to work?

2five7

WKR
Well , couldn’t stand it! Removed the scope and tried to turn the mount, but that is the only way the mount will fit! It you turn the back mount it will hit the bolt. Guess that is how the mount is designed to work?
On guns with 90 degree bolts that happens sometimes.

OP
2bridgetiger
My back mount on my X-bolt is very close to the turret. Only way to get proper eye relief without going to a pic rail. If everything is as it should, there should be no issue.

Hard to see in your picture, but your front bell hitting the mount would be more of more concern than the rear.
No it’s not touching on the front.

SDHNTR

WKR
The way you have Talleys turned doesn’t matter. Whether they are worth a damn or not is a whole other matter and has been beaten to death here and elsewhere ad naseum. Do your own search and prepare to be frustrated.

Regardless of ring type, spacing matters. Get em as wide as possible. Less harmonics and more durable to withstand impacts.

OP, if that was my set up, I’d be looking for other mounting options!

SDHNTR

WKR
I think he said the bolt hits the ring when it's turned around.
I’m not sure how that’s possible. The ring does not extend back beyond the receiver and shouldn’t interfere with the bolt throw even when flipped around.