Tall person in 4 man tipi?

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at a 4 person tipi. At 6'6" I'm concerned about touching both ends. Not concerned with standing up. Right now the Kifaru tut seems to be the best option for me being able to straighten the side walls. Also considering SO cimarron or Argali Absaroka but my concerns the sides will be to steep. Any taller people use these tents?

I am not that tall. However, my best friend is 6’6” barefoot. When in doubt, get the taller, roomier tent. Two things suck more than you think while spiked out… not being able to stand up straight and not being able to sit in a chair with a backrest.

*zap*

WKR
to stand up you will need an 8 man. for stretching out on the ground maybe a kifaru sawtooth?

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
I don't need to stand up in it, This will strictly be a backcountry and Alaska hunting tent. No chairs. Just need to be able to fit myself and gear possibly one other person plus gear.

ID_Matt

WKR
I am 6'3" and don't have any issues with a SO cimmaron. I don't see your extra height being an issue. 2 people in that tent is roomy. The only time i touch the sides is when camped on an uneven surface and I slide towards the bottom of my pad, but that would happen with any tent.

Geewhiz

WKR
Sounds like you're looking for a bit higher quality but I have a SJK outpost 4 and its got gobs of room.

*zap*

WKR
I don't need to stand up in it, This will strictly be a backcountry and Alaska hunting tent. No chairs. Just need to be able to fit myself and gear possibly one other person plus gear.
no wood burning stove ever?

*zap*

WKR
I think it comes down to how much time you will spend in the shelter...get rained in and stay inside for a few days in a row and things get small fast. Personally, I like to be able to stand up but I also own a lbo/vest which I cannot stand up in.

use varies from person to person and use dictates what produce will perform best.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
I think it comes down to how much time you will spend in the shelter...get rained in and stay inside for a few days in a row and things get small fast. Personally, I like to be able to stand up but I also own a lbo/vest which I cannot stand up in.

use varies from person to person and use dictates what produce will perform best.
That wasn't my question. Iv run a solo alps tent with no problem, have a mountainsmith lt that I use currently. Neither I could stand in or feel small in. I got few hunts coming up that may use a bigger tent on, just trying to find one I can lay down in without issues.

*zap*

WKR
That wasn't my question. Iv run a solo alps tent with no problem, have a mountainsmith lt that I use currently. Neither I could stand in or feel small in. I got few hunts coming up that may use a bigger tent on, just trying to find one I can lay down in without issues.
Then look at the measurements for the 4 man.

:)

Geewhiz

WKR
Are you satisfied with your SJK?
I've been using their bags for a while but never had an experience with their tents...
The site doesnt mention much about the fabric, ripstop or not, etc.
Do they have good after service? Bags can take a beating but with tents...
Btw 6"2 here, using 4 person tent just for myself.
I’m going to be honest I’ve only used it on a couple of 3-4 day trips in moderate to fair weather so I definitely can’t say I’ve put it through the ringer but so far it seams to be relatively satisfactory. It’s big. It would be a palace for one guy, even a real big guy. Rather than being a true tipi or pyramid it’s a pentagon and due to the cut of the panels I have found that it’s not easy to get the tent pitched tight to the ground if that’s the pitch you’re looking for. That also maybe partially due to the pole not being adjustable as well. It comes with a collapseable aluminum pole that’s got a fair bit of flex in it and seams relatively flimsy but it hasn’t failed me yet, so..

I believe I picked mine up a couple years ago on sale for like $112 shipped so for that price I figured I’d take a gamble and I haven’t regretted it.

Not sure what the fabric is but here’s a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpeg
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
Decker, did you ever settle on a shelter, if so are you happy with what?, you ended up with?
I ended up setting with a kifaru tut. It had plenty of room. Used it this first week of elk season, 9 days to be exact. Was able to fit 2 ppl with a stove and gear inside. We kept the bags stack in front, bows along side of bags, boots at our feet and stove in middle with extra wood at the top between our heads. Still had more than enough room. Only issue we had was with the zipper location. If you slept on far side, the guy who slept zipper side had to help open zipper first 1/3 because I couldn't reach down to the far corner. But he didn't mind. Overall I was very satisfied with the set up we had. We had everything from heavy rain and hail, up to 30 mph wind, with below freezing nights then some 80 degree days.

One thing I notice another member did and I did the same, I added guy lines and line locs all way around base of tut so I could adjust elevation for ventilation and pitch. We didn't always need to find 100% perfect flat ground.
Some days we had it 4-6in up on sides then other nights when wind was ripping we dropped it all way down . But we usually just kept it somewhere in between and it was very comfortable.

Bootaka

FNG
I have a Cimarron with the half nest. The nest is around 60x100" Being 6'3" I still have about 16" of space at my feet.

If I place the carbon pole at its highest setting, I get about 6'8" of height, raises the skirt about 8" from the ground, it still covers the nest.

Without the nest, I think there is all most 12' across at it's furthest point and around 9 at its shortest.