Talk to me about your archery training schedule

I live in Georgia where 99% of my shots are inside of 30 yards, I shot a bear a few weeks ago at 32 yards and that was the farthest shot I have taken in 3 years.

As long as I can get a license I will be planning to do an Elk hunt in Montana Sept 2025 (don’t worry, I will be sure to make my non-resident “can someone tell me where the Elk are” post soon).

I have a competitive shooting background and found that an established training routine always helped me to excel faster.

So, what do your off-season routines and distances look like?

HbDane

WKR
I try to replicate my hunting situations, meaningI shoot while kneeling, sitting, standing up hill and down hill etc. I also shoot as far as I can safely, in my case 100 yards. I practice long distance shots that I wouldn’t necessarily take while hunting, so that I’m confident and comfortable within my lethal range (60 yards and under). When you start stacking arrows at 100 yards with confidence, those 20-50 yard shots seem ridiculously close and easy.

I know guys that shoot 3 arrows and then run to the target to grab them and back and then shoot again to replicate being out of breath and a shot presents itself, but I haven’t done that.

I think this is what you were asking

I shoot my bow, a lot.

Less during hunting season, because I divert that time to hunting.

I think it really comes down to just being proficient.

If you are in GA, in all honesty I'd go talk with Griv at archery learning center.

If you can go against his kids, with lights and distractions, (kids whipping you) probably no situation you can't conquer.

I learn more about my shooting inside of 20 yards than past it. It's counter, but get to where you have a hole going and try to not ruin it, for me, that's pressure.

Yooper

WKR
Find a local 3D league and shoot that. It was the best thing I ever did for my shooting. I don't participate as much now, but those few years I was in an off-season league it really increased my proficiency.

CMF

WKR
Practice longer shots. If there is one thing I left my first western hunt thinking, it was I needed to be more proficient at longer ranges. My buddy had the same thought after his first year.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Get proficient out to 70 yards and then limit to 60 yards.

Get comfortable in alternate positions and shooting fast and slow.

Practice shooting while kneeling, torso turned, and after holding the draw for 60 seconds.

Practice holding your draw 90 seconds and then letting down.

Practice drawing while kneeling then standing up to shoot. Then draw and shoot immediately after.

Practice drawing to your anchor and shooting before the count of two.

I did all of the above before my first elk hunt (first archery hunt ever) and could have practiced more.

fatlander

WKR
[mention]Billy Goat [/mention] hit the nail on the head, shoot your bow. Shoot it often. A handful of well executed shots every day trumps one day a week of high volume poorly executed shots.

Also find ways to shoot under pressure: indoor league, 3D, hole for hole, one arrow at maximum effective range at the end of a cardio intensive workout with a high heart rate. All of your shooting most certainly shouldn’t be in ways you’re trying to replicate high pressure. That’s a good way to develop target panic, but it really lets you know your limits. If you can’t get a high pressure shot to cleanly break, and keep it in the 10 ring, that’s beyond your effective range.

Just because you’re going out west doesn’t mean that you are expected to take 60 yard shots. I don’t care what the internet tells you, 60 yards is a long ASS ways. There is a ton of time and opportunity for SHTF at 60+ yards. High heart rate, fatigued, pack on, steep slopes, fixed heads and long distances are a recipe for piss poor shots.

I shoot better than your average bear and have killed somewhere north of 100 animals with a bow and arrow. I can count on one hand how many have been beyond 35 yards. The name of the game is getting close. Air it out practicing, not in the mountains. Your worst arrow practicing will more often than not be your best arrow in the mountains.

Good luck on your hunt and congrats on Smokey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis

WKR
I shoot almost every day year round. As winter approaches here I start focusing on my shooting form with indoor blank bale shooting and aiming without shooting drills while holding at full draw. I shoot indoors several times throughout the winter for score and my check arrow flight and accuracy.

My spring and summer practice is from 5 yards to 60 yards at both targets and life size elk and deer targets. Shooting from all possible shooting positions and some timed drills for added pressure. In late July early August I switch to primarily shooting broadheads.

For hunting in the mountain west most of my shots and shot opportunities are less than 45 yards. I limit myself to 60 yards maximum hunting distance.

Good luck

chanson_roland

Lil-Rokslider
Living in VA, my best practice is to put a 25lb weight in a ruck, and shoot 3d on the range. Max shots are 80 yards, but the up and down of the walking plus occasional sprints to targets is decent training for me. Also, keeping my quiver on while shooting to replicate what might happen in the field.