Talk me out of SG.

aman

FNG
What are you looking to get? All new clothing?

Pants: Fjallraven Barents or Vidda Pro
Base Layers: Smartwool or FL
Socks: Smartwool or Darn Tough
Mid Layer: Patagonia R1 Air
Windbreaker/Light Rain: Patagonia Houdini
Puffy: Kifaru LPP synthetic or Nunatak Custom down
Heavy Rain: Swazi Tahr and wax bottom half of Fjallraven pants.

That’s an expensive but bomb proof clothing setup.
This guy knows what he's talking about

meddlecho

FNG
I use a mix of SG, Kuiu, First Lite and Duck Camp. Things i've kept from SG are the Chinook top base layer, Helio hoody/bottoms, Cirque jacket and De Havilland lite pants. Super solid gear!

like others have said get the pieces that work best for you from 2 or 3 brands. I seem to be wearing KUIU and SG with a couple of sitka items.
I just came back from an archery hunting trip and used the Dehaviland lite pants and they are awesome. For my the fit is money not skinny jeans but not to loose. As I stated in other posts they hemmed/shortened for free to my correct length. I hate wearing belts and these pants stayed tight under pack with their system. I did not think the pants were to loud for spot n stalk mountain archery hunting. Pockets are money and very usuable. The side zips are big and dump a lot of heat. Only complaint I have is the hip zips do not have mesh liner so when you walk through brush or tall sage you get stuff inside the pants if you forget to zip up.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t trade my SG gear.
The de havilland pants are great. I stopped wearing my kuiu pants. I like the SG fit better.
I have been liking the merino, but I can’t say if it better than kuiu’s. It does seem more durable than First lite.
The Grumman is warm and it’s my favorite puffy. But it’s definitely light weight, and seems thin. A upgrade would be a arcteryx puffy. My wife’s arcteryx puffy looks well made and she says it’s extremely warm, and it only slightly heavier.

slick

WKR
I've got the Helio hoody
Grumman and M7 sets on the way.

I can update after this winter's use.

I’ve got the m7 shell from stone glacier and would suggest this when the weather gets real nasty. The only area That kuiu has them beat is there cuffs around the arms hold water out better with it being almost like a gasket on a dry suit if you look at the yukon. You will get some water soaking your sleeve around your wrist with stone glacier m5 and m7. I live in north idaho and this is what i’ve been using for a couple years. Get whatever works best for you!

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
In Canada the big brands like FL, Kuiu Sitka come at premium price and returns are tricky. When I can I buy insulation from Arc’teryx. I find it fits better and the quality is better. It sounds like you’re set up with base layers but I haven’t found a better base layer top I like more than Mons Royal. When they have a sale it’s cheap comparatively and by far the best fitting for me, the merino blend is also amazing. I use it for biking and skiing when I’m not hunting. For outer I’m set up with FL and I have found the quality decent, but haven’t bought a piece in a few years.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have yet to find anything of SG that I don’t absolutely love. I have their Gruman Jacket, merino base layers, socks, DeHavilland pants, chillkoot sleeping bag, and sky 7900 x-curve pack and love every bit of it. I’m not one that has to have everything made by the same company, I don’t mind mix matching, but I find myself using SG nearly across the board now days.

I still use a few Sitka pieces that haven’t let me down (Apex Hoody) and I like Darn Tough socks better than theirs.

Last edited:

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I utilize a mix of kuiu, stone glacier, and kuhl. Tends to be more stone as their sizing is consistent. Kuiu sizing can be an issue. I have longer arms and stone works great. I like kuiu vests and insulation though.

I've got the Helio hoody
Grumman and M7 sets on the way.

I can update after this winter's use.
How'd the gear work out? I'm looking at getting the Grumman, getting rid of my current Down as I don't love the fit, arms are too restrictive. I'm also looking at the M5 or M7....would love your thoughts?

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I’m confident that the answer is not allegiance to one clothing brand. Try them all and keep what works. All of them make good things but not one of them makes the best of everything.