Talk me out of a NeoAir XTherm NXT

I have an old xlite that has a loud crinkle sound. I sleep pretty heavily and it is enough for me to notice. My buddy sleeping 15 feet away even mentioned the noise one trip. Not sure if they changed the design but it was enough to send me in other directions.

HouseCL

FNG
I have the Neoair xlite nxt max large and the zen bivy ultralight flex, and the zen bivy is hands down more comfortable. The only downside is it’s a bit heavier, but I’ll take good sleep over a few oz any day.
The problem with the zen bivy ultralite is the availability, they never have the 25” width in stock. I guess if somebody can get by with the 20” pad those are available but personally I will never sleep on a 20” pad again.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
Going to try this for cold weather walk in camping this fall/winter.

View attachment 754097
I have gone back and forth between down insulated and the reflective foil. Seems like the the foil saves weight. Curious how you like that one.
Go lay on one at your local store. I didn't find them all that comfortable.

I have the Neoair xlite nxt max large and the zen bivy ultralight flex, and the zen bivy is hands down more comfortable. The only downside is it’s a bit heavier, but I’ll take good sleep over a few oz any day.
I have heard the ZenBivy is kinda of amazing in terms of comfort. Trying to decide if that extra R-value for the XTherm is worth it over the comfort of the ZB.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
I have an old xlite that has a loud crinkle sound. I sleep pretty heavily and it is enough for me to notice. My buddy sleeping 15 feet away even mentioned the noise one trip. Not sure if they changed the design but it was enough to send me in other directions.
I've heard the old one was like "sleeping on a bag of potato chips"... but I think they've addressed that.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
The problem with the zen bivy ultralite is the availability, they never have the 25” width in stock. I guess if somebody can get by with the 20” pad those are available but personally I will never sleep on a 20” pad again.
They say they should have them back in stock "early September" on the website... guess we'll see.

HNTR918

WKR
XTherm NXT Long & Wide owner here.
This is the only pad I haven't had holes in.
Thicker bottom fabric helps.
Also, super warm.
I use a quilt in 3rd & 4th seasons and never get cold from the ground.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
XTherm NXT Long & Wide owner here.
This is the only pad I haven't had holes in.
Thicker bottom fabric helps.
Also, super warm.
I use a quilt in 3rd & 4th seasons and never get cold from the ground.
Yeah, the durability of the Therm-a-Rest stuff is a big plus. I always bring a closed cell foam pad as a backup/extra insulation, but popping a pad and not being able to repair it would suck big time! The ZenBivy Flex seems to be the most comfortable from everything I've heard.... but it seems kind of untested in terms of durability.

Wrongside

WKR
Had an Xtherm from 2016-2024. It just popped a leak this summer and had a few blown baffles appear last couple years. It has not been treated nicely.

I’ll see if I can patch it, but in the mean time I ordered a new one. Only two nights on it, but the vent nozzle is improved based on my initial impressions, the pad is hardly crinkly at all, and it’s a half inch thicker than the old models.

I would say stay away from the Xtherm. It becomes hard to go with anything else with respect to weight to warmth ratio.
I fully agree with LJ. Tho my old original model XTherm is still working fine. The new valve is a nice touch, as long as it lasts like the old one.

sndmn11

WKR
I ended up with a nemo extreme recently and it has been fine so far. The heavier bottom material of the thermarest was attractive, but I guessed I would see more comfort with the square pocket baffles of the Nemo vs the long horizontal of the thermarest.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
The crunchiness of the pad paired with the narrow size.
Do you have the latest model? I have heard tales of them fixing the crunchiness in the most recent model. Otherwise, I would get the 25" FWIW...

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine. Have used other ones in summer when I thought the xtherm was overkill and regretted it almost every time. It is a little noisy, but I just snore louder to make up for it.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Was looking at one for my first pad as this will be my first year western hunting and they still sound like your sleeping on a bag of extra baked lays chips. I can't imagine what the old versions sounded like.

I'm trying to get in for the next batch of ZElen bivys.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
Was looking at one for my first pad as this will be my first year western hunting and they still sound like your sleeping on a bag of extra baked lays chips. I can't imagine what the old versions sounded like.

I'm trying to get in for the next batch of ZElen bivys.
Thanks for the info. I heard they had "fixed" the noise issue... but maybe it's just down to a dull roar now compared to the old one... haha!

If ZB gets that dang Flex Air back in stock I think I'll go that route with some closed cell foam underneath to add R value. I've heard it is hands down the most comfortable pad out there. I am trying a new ZB quilt set-up this fall so lots of new sleep gear.