Talk me into (or out) of a chassis

Only been around a couple chassis. Have found that I dont really like one that has an AR style grip on it. I much prefer it to be more along the lines of a KRG bravo.

Good lord! I'm flinching just thinking about that.
I spoke with a few experienced shooters recently who've run heavy hitters in the element 4.0 and Hnt26, they all said its significantly more difficult than a good vertical grip CF stock.
Glad I did some research before taking the plunge

Only been around a couple chassis. Have found that I dont really like one that has an AR style grip on it. I much prefer it to be more along the lines of a KRG bravo.

KRG bravo grip just feels like home to me. Fits awesome.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I spoke with a few experienced shooters recently who've run heavy hitters in the element 4.0 and Hnt26, they all said its significantly more difficult than a good vertical grip CF stock.
Glad I did some research before taking the plunge
What action are you going to run? I’m getting closer to narrowing down what I want, I just haven’t started looking at components.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
My 33 XC and 30 Nosler walked with a HNT26.

2b82df324454e66fc08d2eb7c53de006.jpg

Also had issues with the Element 4.0 with the 33XC, bedding fixed the issue.
cc3342f704fca6ed0d5659462a0d3858.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Man I went round and round, and after talking with a few highly respected smiths I sprung for the Bat Vesper from Unknown munitions.
There goes 2/3 of my build budget

Spendy, but worth it. I used one on the 33XC above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thrash907

FNG
Just picked up my new rifle in .300wsm 1/9 with a XLR E4 short action chassis. It's a really sweet rig, just need some time to set it up but I'll post pics/weight when I'm done.

Shoutout to Alamo Precision Rifles! They're really awesome to work with. If you're interested, this is the package I got - https://aprifles.com/products/apr-tomahawk-1.

Reactions: tak

Ucsdryder

WKR
Man I went round and round, and after talking with a few highly respected smiths I sprung for the Bat Vesper from Unknown munitions.
There goes 2/3 of my build budget😬
Dang! That thing is sexy. I was looking at the igniter for 1100ish. I don’t know if I can bring myself to drop 2k on an action. I need a rich uncle to kick the bucket!

So is general thought that it's more of a bedding issue than a chassis vs stock issue? I know a lot of high end comp shooters bed their comp gun chassis even with 6mms to combat loss of zero.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
So is general thought that it's more of a bedding issue than a chassis vs stock issue? I know a lot of high end comp shooters bed their comp gun chassis even with 6mms to combat loss of zero.
For the most part yes.
But after helping UM with there load dev over the past few months I have noticed I don’t shoot big magnums in light chassis as well as I do with a light weight carbon stock with a vertical grip.

Dang! That thing is sexy. I was looking at the igniter for 1100ish. I don’t know if I can bring myself to drop 2k on an action. I need a rich uncle to kick the bucket!
I was doing the same comparison, basically it came down to what each action offered.
The igniter is chrome molly and has a blued finish, and weighs 34 oz with rail.
The vesper is supposedly machined from the hardest stainless steel ever used for an action, weighs 26 oz, has an integrated rail, and comes with a black nitride finish.
In the end I figured the action is for ever so might as well do it right, even if it slows my build by a few months...

Ucsdryder

WKR
I was doing the same comparison, basically it came down to what each action offered.
The igniter is chrome molly and has a blued finish, and weighs 34 oz with rail.
The vesper is supposedly machined from the hardest stainless steel ever used for an action, weighs 26 oz, has an integrated rail, and comes with a black nitride finish.
In the end I figured the action is for ever so might as well do it right, even if it slows my build by a few months...
Stop it! Those are all the arguments I’ve given myself to justify spending way too much on an action. lol!!!

gbflyer

WKR
We have one I’ve switched back and forth between a MDT LSS and a Grayboe Outlander. Neither have been bedded or modified in any way. It is more accurate in the Outlander by a fair measure. Also significantly lighter. My son who is 15 thinks the chassis is “cool” so that’s where we are with that.

OP
tak

tak

WKR
Just picked up my new rifle in .300wsm 1/9 with a XLR E4 short action chassis. It's a really sweet rig, just need some time to set it up but I'll post pics/weight when I'm done.

Shoutout to Alamo Precision Rifles! They're really awesome to work with. If you're interested, this is the package I got - https://aprifles.com/products/apr-tomahawk-1.

Nice! Looking forward to the pics.
I'm in Fort Worth and have 2 Alamo rifles and a deposit in on my 7 prc... it's a great shop, and being local it's hard to even look anywhere else.

I appreciate all of the responses, it's pretty evident chassis vs stock boils down to personal preference.

I feel like the only reason not to use a chassis is because they are ugly. If function trumps looks, I highly encourage them.

Nice! Looking forward to the pics.
I'm in Fort Worth and have 2 Alamo rifles and a deposit in on my 7 prc... it's a great shop, and being local it's hard to even look anywhere else.

I appreciate all of the responses, it's pretty evident chassis vs stock boils down to personal preference.
Fort Worth dude here, with a rifle chambered by Alamo , and they have some nice builds on MPA chassis. Great shop. Can’t go wrong with them.

Reactions: tak