Talk me into (or out) of a chassis

tak

WKR
Would you prefer two similar rifles for practice/familiarity reasons or would you be fine with one stocked rifle and one chassis rifle?

My current two main hunting rifles are a 20" 6.5CM in an AG composites Alpine Hunter stock and a 280AI in a Manners LRH.
I'm really thinking of ditching the 280 for a 20" 7mm PRC - I figure this will do what my 25" Ackley will do, but it'll be much handier and easier with a suppressor.

I could make a very similar rifle in the same AG composites stock as my 6.5CM - I shoot that a lot at the range and it shoots great for me, so having two nearly identical rifles in a short action and a long action certainly has some merit. I do have an SRS long hunters rail on it, and I use an Anvil 30 quite a bit. That's easy to add as the AG stock has a flat bottom, but the integrated ARCA on a chassis is enticing. I also have a 16lb Creedmoor in a McMillan that I've used in NRL Hunter matches and an occasional PRS match. I've never been a chassis guy, but maybe I should join the cool kids.

Would you build a rifle to be similar to your smaller cartridge, or go for a chassis?

WKR
If you're doing all this work to make it lighter and handier for packing on a hunt, definitely go with a folding chassis.

Lawnboi

WKR
Buy a chassis for your game gun and try it out.

If you have never tried one you don’t know what you don’t know.

I use one for shooting matches and may try something like the hnt26, but I can’t ever see having an all metal chassis in the areas I hunt, also being a rifle in the hand at all times kind of hunter. I could never go back to a stock on my game gun though.

jimh406

WKR
I think a chassis is a cool idea even if I don't have one. I think go for it.

My primary shoots so well probably due to the expert that bedded it years ago, that I'd be afraid to change anything until I have a very close replacement. My brother bought it used, so we have no idea who did the work, but it's a great shooter.

However, I might a chassis one on one of my other rifles.

sacox31s

FNG
I own and for the last 2 years have used a folding stock chassis for my hunting rifle. Next year I plan on going back to a carbon fiber stock. I prefer the feel of a more traditional stock while hiking around the woods. Something about the pistol grip and the skeletonized stock in a chassis that is annoying. Also while carrying the rifle strapped to my backpack with the stock folded it leaves the scope’s ocular vulnerable. I don’t like the feel of the slings attachment to the folding stock. There are more things bolted in place that can come loose in the mountains on a chassis vs traditional stock. A chassis stock is colder to hold because it is metal. Forget arca rails while hunting just put a light weight support bag on your tripod instead. I like the chassis stock overall but I prefer the more traditional style stock for hunting.

Last edited:
Along these lines has anyone used the Hnt26 or XLR magnesium element in it's lightest form on a big magnum?
I'm considering one of these for a lightweight RUM or 300 NM, mainly for the folding stock since it'll be suppressed.
My main concern is that it won't be as shootable as my previous Alterra stock

Along these lines has anyone used the Hnt26 or XLR magnesium element in it's lightest form on a big magnum?
I'm considering one of these for a lightweight RUM or 300 NM, mainly for the folding stock since it'll be suppressed.
I have a 20" 300prc in a HNT26 but its not a lightweight. @Ryan Avery has a 33xc in one that weighs 9lbs.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
not a good idea on long cartridges like that. you are limited to OAL by magazine length. My friend just build a rum in a chassis and can't get it to shoot partly because the seating depth is something crazy. I have a 338 edge and would love to put it in a chassis but it simply won't fit.

I haven't shot a ton of chassis but have an MPA BA on the 20# gamer gun and really prefer the feel of a standard stock with a good vertical grip for hunting.

Norma will fit in a CIP magazine just fine. I had one in a chassis but got rid of it for various reasons, I shoot my EH-1s better overall anyhow.

OP
tak

tak

WKR
I really appreciate all of the responses.
Some good info here.

As much as I want a chassis, really leaning toward having two rifles with the same stock

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I really appreciate all of the responses.
Some good info here.

As much as I want a chassis, really leaning toward having two rifles with the same stock
I would try both and see which one you shoot better in the positions you expect on your hunts. I bet someone who lives near you would let you test their chassis rifle and you could see which you shoot better.

Reactions: XLR

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
not a good idea on long cartridges like that. you are limited to OAL by magazine length. My friend just build a rum in a chassis and can't get it to shoot partly because the seating depth is something crazy. I have a 338 edge and would love to put it in a chassis but it simply won't fit.
I don't know for sure what magazine length he's using but Casey just put a Christensen Arms MPR 338 Lapua Improved in an XLR chassis and it's working well according to him. He just shot his elk with it in Colorado.

I got a chassis gun this year for hunting. Went with the XLR Magnesium. So far is been awesome to shoot. Really like the folding stock on it. It has taken down a cow moose so far. Still trying to figure out the best way to carry it on my backpack(s).

• Love
Reactions: XLR
Another vote for trying a chassis or finding someone with one and trying it out. I have two XLR magnesium’s and love them. I’ve never hunted with them in crazy cold conditions but anytime it gets cold enough for the chassis to be a problem I almost always have a set of gloves on already. My step dad (76 years old) just took his best mule deer at 365y, also his longest shot, with my seekins 300wm in an XLR. After practicing with it and killing his buck he said “that’s the sweetest shooting gun I’ve ever held”. I won’t be getting rid of mine anytime soon.

CRJR45

WKR
I bought a XLR Carbon Chassis for my Savage 7mm RM , thought it would shoot better . I tried it at the range , it's not really a hunting chassis , but went back to the AccuStock and the gun shoots better with the AccuStock . I do like the feel of the pistol grip at the range though , it's easier on the wrist , just my two cents .

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of back pack hunting. I’ve had two rifles now with a XLR magnesium chassis and have grown to really prefer them for folding in half and fitting in a pack. My current rifle in a chassis is a 300 prc. It handles recoil just fine, but the rifle has a very good break on it.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a XLR Carbon Chassis for my Savage 7mm RM , thought it would shoot better . I tried it at the range , it's not really a hunting chassis , but went back to the AccuStock and the gun shoots better with the AccuStock . I do like the feel of the pistol grip at the range though , it's easier on the wrist , just my two cents .

Did you try bedding the action into the chassis? You may try it. I know chassis’ are advertised as not needing bedding, but tolerances on actions and chassis vary. A good skim bed job may help.

CRJR45

WKR
Did you try bedding the action into the chassis? You may try it. I know chassis’ are advertised as not needing bedding, but tolerances on actions and chassis vary. A good skim bed job may help.
I thought about that , and you're probably right , but I don't see me shooting the 7mm RM at the range that much or in competition anyway . In fact I bought a 6mm Creedmoor Elite Precision to shoot long distance , and just sold that . Nothing around me that has a range over two hundred , so I'm just focused on hunting rifles .