Talk me into (or out) of a chassis

TheHammer

WKR
Xlr’s customer service seems spot on, quick and informative responses. Looking into an element 4.0 magnesium currently. All my rifles get bedded, including my ruger American 450bm.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: XLR
OP
tak

tak

WKR
Fort Worth dude here, with a rifle chambered by Alamo , and they have some nice builds on MPA chassis. Great shop. Can’t go wrong with them.

you running any chassis on your guns?

Xlr’s customer service seems spot on, quick and informative responses. Looking into an element 4.0 magnesium currently. All my rifles get bedded, including my ruger American 450bm.

Planning on bedding an element if you get one?
I know you don't have to, but seems some people do a little bit of bedding.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
It's all personal preference. Quality chassis and stocks will both get the job done. I've shot most flavors of both chassis and conventional stocks. Currently shooting a manners lrh cf stock with built in mini chassis.

I prefer the MPA hybrid for a hunting chassis and Manners eh-1 or lrh for stocks. Lots of other good choices out there as well.

TheHammer

WKR

It would get bedded, correct. Just waiting to see if the color options recommendation posts are being taken into consideration. I’ve seen it both ways, all I know is all my rifles are more accurate than I am. If they aren’t.. they go down the road. I have a feeling this one will be sub 7lbs all said and done with holes stacking at 200yds, atleast that’s what the standard is.

Reactions: tak
OP
tak

tak

WKR
It would get bedded, correct. Just waiting to see if the color options recommendation posts are being taken into consideration. I’ve seen it both ways, all I know is all my rifles are more accurate than I am. If they aren’t.. they go down the road. I have a feeling this one will be sub 7lbs all said and done with holes stacking at 200yds, atleast that’s what the standard is.

good deal!
If the color thread you're referring to is the one I'm thinking of that was started a few months ago, all of those colors are available.

Reactions: XLR

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
The owner of MPA ( I think his name is Phil) gave an excellent explanation of why some actions may benefit from bedding in a chassis and why some don’t.

To paraphrase:

Many actions are not perfectly straight and torquing them down in a chassis will exacerbate this leading to accuracy issues. Bedding can alleviate this to some extent.

Obviously factory actions are often not straight but many custom actions aren’t true as well. He explains actions with a integrated pic rail cannot be turned on a lathe which leads to a higher chance of the action not being straight.

Yes, my current rifle is a tikka chambered by Alamo that lives in an XLR element chassis

Reactions: tak