Taking a break in middle of hunt?

On Week long hunts that are hiking/glassing intensive, who takes a day off on day 3 or 4 to recoup? As much as I like to think Im tough guy I sure get worn down by day 6 and 7 of these types of hunts. Seems like by then I’m just going through the motions. Who hikes back to the truck for a real meal and a night in a comfortable cot before heading back in to hopefully finish strong?

Part of me says this comes once a year so nut it up but I also believe I’m less effective. What works for you guys?

Rob5589

WKR
I always have a morning where I sleep in. Get up whenever, have some breakfast, tidy up camp, etc. But I will hunt that evening. There's something about getting up without an alarm in my ear that rejuvenates me.

That's typically what we have done about mid way through, head to town for a decent meal. It makes it seem like a fresh start afterwards.

I have done just that, when I was younger. And regretted it when I didn't fill my tag. Maybe it is the fact that I have more hunting seasons behind me than I have in front of me, but every hour in the woods with the potential to score beats a mediocre meal at a diner. Any time.
Funny how that clock ticking (the one that signifies our effective hunting ability) gets louder every year and has made me hunt harder at 50 years old than when I was 30....YMMV

mtnkid85

WKR
Thats why I like to do 5 day trips. Thats about the max I can do before Im feeling like I need a break. Plus a pack loaded for 5 days is about all I want to carry anyway.

SWOHTR

WKR
You do you, at the end of it all the trip is supposed to be fun, right? Do what you need to do to make it fun; if that’s sleeping in/rest say, then do it.

If your job makes you get up early and is already hard enough, there may be a lot of other value added to getting up on your own terms or calling the end of the day when you want to. Just because others are out there 12+ hrs/day (or more according to social media) doesn’t necessarily mean you need to be, too.

cnelk

WKR
About day 5 we typically take a day trip to the nearest town, have a nice lunch, replenish supplies, make some phone calls/txts, go back to camp and maybe do some brookie fishing.

It nice to take a break

We drive 20 hours straight and with the excitement of the year long preparations of opening day it gets to me buy day 3 or 4 I sleep in. now we pack a extra meal for the fire, burgers, brats something good and easy. This year we didn't get out till noon on day 3, shot me elk at 3. Buy the way IT'S MY VACATION. 😁

Compromise. Do what you say but spend part of the day hunting/glassing a spot a mile or so from camp. But make it relaxing. Don’t take all your gear. Take a nap if you need to. It is probably a low probability game, but mentally you might not feel like you’re wasting a day.

Reactions: WCB

*zap*

WKR
Being burnt out is probably not good so I guess it would vary with the person. Fitness level, ability to get good sleep and the type of hunt/terrain would have a lot to do with if/when a rest period is necessary. I would think a good hot shower would be a great rejuvenator if possible.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Depending on where I'm hunting, I've been known to come back to camp around 9 or 0930, change my clothes and hit the river for some fly fishing until maybe 1. I have a 30 day season, I can fill it up however I want. Back in the early 90's I'd come back to CO and hunt, fish, and golf all in the same week. I'm out there to have a good time....whatever that activity is. Unless the elk are screaming, then there's only one focus.....chasing big bulls.

Jon Boy

WKR
I do it all the time, especially late season. I usually just drive around and glass and check new trailheads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Skel

FNG
I have gone both ways. I will say sleeping in a bit, getting a good meal and shower sure revived my mental fortitude.

JPD350

WKR
If I have hunted hard for days and glassed till my eyes hurt I generally prefer to stay in the field to relax, I cant tell you how many times that shifting to a super relaxed presence in the field has resulted in a rejuvenated body, a new game plan and a kill when an animal just happened to walk to me while I was kicking back. Although I do realize that going back to the truck can give the same rejuvenated results it's just not what I enjoy doing, I guess I also prefer not to even go back to the Tipi during the day but that isn't as bothersome as going back to the truck.

Kotaman

WKR
Usually weather takes care of getting a "down day". If not, I'm ready for an "easier" day in the mountains by day 5. I won't take it off, but will just make it an easier day of hunting instead of pushing.

CorbLand

WKR
There is a pretty good burger joint about 20 minute drive from one of the trail heads we hunt. If we are in that area on about day 3 we leave early one afternoon and go get a burger and fries for lunch then head back up for the evening. Its nice to get away for a second and eat some good food. Its a personal thing and you have to make the decision for you. We have always taken a long lunch when its reasonable but I have more tags uncut than cut.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Weather usually gives me an unwanted break at some point of the hunt. If I'm out for a week, pulling back out to the truck would mean many miles and many hours, so it's not an option. A mid hunt break might be sleeping in an extra hour or so and hunting a little closer to camp that day. If I'm sitting and glassing for long periods of time a cat nap or two is inevitable.

jspradley

WKR
Taking a bit to recharge can make you far more effective than just slogging it out and not being at your best, only you can decide that but sometimes it's worth it